School Officials in Mass. Town Won't Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School Officials in Mass. Town Won't Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Geez, I kinda like those REALLY BIG letters, easy on the old eyes. Could ya'll start posting like that? Appreciate it.

I'm serious, 6SC, you guys have got to get out of there. My blood pressure (always slightly elevated) would go thru the roof living in one of the Peoples' Republic states. I'm afraid it's all too far gone to ever be "fixed". Come join us in flyover country. It's good livin'.

Ha ha..I feel your pain.... those were almost my wife's exact words when she told me we had to leave Kalifornia... before I stroked out or killed someone!

Now I am in Idaho, and nary a liberal be found on most days

handgonnetoter Guest
    Maybe the Communist school teachers and administrators would rather have a flag of lets say, China or the former Soviet Union up in the schools. They are weak people who believe in nothing, but their own selfish misguided wants and desires. If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything. Morons with a college education - I would expect more from them.

Quote Originally Posted by jibbster View Post
    ...nary a liberal be found on most days
    Ain't that nice? We got a few here because it's a University town, but they pretty much keep their heads down, cause they know they're surrounded.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

It is so pathetic...yet the grade school kids can get a condom...pathetic.
    Don't take freedom for granted...you could lose it.

Okay. I am Cathy In Blue and this is Reality Check...

No oath, pledge, or contract entered into by a minor is enforceable. They're minors. Hence, it matters little whether or not they say the pledge at all, let alone taking up time during the school day to do so.

If you, the child's parent, feels so strongly about this issue, then I invite you to purchase a flag to hang on the wall in your home or on your own flagpole and have them recite whatever pledge you deem appropriate for your children. This is directly analogous to issues of prayer in school. No one can be prevented from saying an oath/pledge/prayer, but neither can they be lead in the recitation of one by officials.

On top of the Pledge of Allegiance being essentially meaningless for children, being as it is unenforceable from a legal stand point, it has been adulterated by an illegitimate act of Congress to shoe-horn the words "under god" into it and establish it as a religious oath. The PoA existed just fine for years and years and years, and then Congress felt the need to legislate its content, when there is no delegated authority to Congress to do so. Shall Congress now dictate the lyrics to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star next? This is not a legitimate use of federal authority, and as such, I have no duty to adhere to it, and neither does anyone else.

I would be happy, ecstatic, to have a copy of the American flag, as well as the flag of my state, as well as the Gadsden flag on poles on the walls in my classroom. However, none of them would have a golden fringe. I would not, however, attempt to coerce any children to recite an oath of any kind. That is not the purpose of my classroom.

When I changed buildings from the elementary school to the combined middle-high school, there was no more recitation of the PoA. This puzzled me, but not in any way that gave rise to any kind of moral righteous indignation. It was just another change in routine that I had to adjust to, like not having show and tell anymore. What's more, even for being heartland USA, Midwest, Middle America, no one raised a stink about it 25 years ago. I find it dubious that this is a legitimate issue of contention now.

So long as the students are not being disruptive, there is no grounds on the parts of the administration to prevent them from making such an oath. Of course, there's always the addition of peer pressure which the school has no business adding to the concerns of non-citizens (legal aliens) or Atheist kids for conspicuously not reciting the PoA or particular, Congressionally demanded words of it. But absolutely, there is no legitimate grounds upon which the administration can stand to demand that anyone, employee or student, to recite an oath.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Okay. I am Cathy In Blue and this is Reality Check...

No oath, pledge, or contract entered into by a minor is enforceable. They're minors. Hence, it matters little whether or not they say the pledge at all, let alone taking up time during the school day to do so.

If you, the child's parent, feels so strongly about this issue, then I invite you to purchase a flag to hang on the wall in your home or on your own flagpole and have them recite whatever pledge you deem appropriate for your children. This is directly analogous to issues of prayer in school. No one can be prevented from saying an oath/pledge/prayer, but neither can they be lead in the recitation of one by officials.

On top of the Pledge of Allegiance being essentially meaningless for children, being as it is unenforceable from a legal stand point, it has been adulterated by an illegitimate act of Congress to shoe-horn the words "under god" into it and establish it as a religious oath. The PoA existed just fine for years and years and years, and then Congress felt the need to legislate its content, when there is no delegated authority to Congress to do so. Shall Congress now dictate the lyrics to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star next? This is not a legitimate use of federal authority, and as such, I have no duty to adhere to it, and neither does anyone else.

I would be happy, ecstatic, to have a copy of the American flag, as well as the flag of my state, as well as the Gadsden flag on poles on the walls in my classroom. However, none of them would have a golden fringe. I would not, however, attempt to coerce any children to recite an oath of any kind. That is not the purpose of my classroom.
    Although I disagree with you about the pledge and the in God we trust I do agree about the gold fringe around the flag.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Umm Cathy, I didn't read anywhere in the article, or in anyone's post where anyone said anything about forcing anyone to recite the pledge.

...school committee has rejected the 17-year-old's request to allow students to voluntarily recite the Pledge of Allegiance, because some educators are concerned that it would be hard to find teachers willing to recite it...
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

This has nothing to do with being an enforceable pledge or oath...Where the #*&$!)* did you come up with that one???

This has everything to do with our country and our children having pride to be American citizens, and teaching them from a young age to pledge allegiance to our country and to have the pride that many other nations have for their country. The problem is, our nationalism has been whittled away, chip by chip, piece by piece...now it's politically incorrect to say the pledge, or to talk about your religion, or anything else of the sort, for fear of offending someone. While in other countries, especially those of our non-allies, they are taught from a young age to have pride in their country, to show their allegiance.....this is why we are getting our asses wiped with our own hands.... its become not OK in America to be proud of America and to fight for what our country has stood for the last 235 years...we wouldnt want to offend anyone, make them feel uncomfortable, give them pangs, , make the woozy, anything else of the sort.

My grandfather came here in the 1920's. He never got handouts. He worked hard and built his own business. He would never teach us his native language becasue "we were Americans". He would never rely on the government to take care of our family. He would proudly pledge allegiance to the US flag, and would probably openly challenge those that refused.

We aren't teaching our kids about important parts of our history in schools, now the IB/PYP are coming in to schools and making that even worse. We can't pledge allegiance in class. We can't bring our friends Christmas cards because it might offend them. We can't bring birthday invitations, unless we invite the whole class, because someone might get their feelings hurt. We can't fail kids because their self esteem, so lets give them numbers instead of letter grades.

We are raising a bunch of neutered ninis who don't stand for anything any longer and who are afraid to offend anyone...and the system is spearheading that effort.

So, IMHO, this has nothing to do with enforceable oaths, and everything to do with another chip out of our American heritage and values.......Globalization, here we come.....

If there's not a legally binding reason to say an oath, an oath of office, an oath to tell the truth in court, an oath of new citizenship, then it's literally verbal masturbation.

And there are plenty of reasons not to say it if one so believes. Arkansas 10-Year-Old Won’t Pledge Allegiance Until Gays Gain Equality :: EDGE San Francisco

And as for showing pride to be an American, last time I dipped my toe in Christian dogma, pride was a sin. Has Jesus come down and changed that since last I looked? Is pride no longer a sin?

A native born American can be satisfied to be an American, happy to be an American, can consider being an American to be a good or even great thing without being coerced into taking an oath. Indeed, it would be far, far more effective in demonstrating the greatness of America and the power of being an American to NOT institute coercive pledges upon natural born citizens, than it would be TO institute coercive pledges upon natural born citizens.

Illustrate our respect for minority rights or require kids to recite a pledge?

Maintain fair taxation and private property rights or require kids to recite a pledge?

Guarantee freedoms of religion, speech, press, and self-defense or require kids to recite a pledge?

I think I know what's a more efficacious means of demonstrating the greatness of MY America. You can represent YOUR America in what way seems best to you. Apparently, that way is to emulate the likes of North Korea, Iran, and Venezuela.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

At our gun club we recite the pledge of allegiance at our monthly meetings. It is the first thing we do after coming to order. Last month though, as everyone stood at attention, and a hush came over the room no one started the pledge. Usually the President starts it, and no one wanted to infringe on his position I guess. After about 15 seconds (which seemed like an hour) My wife started the pledge of allegiance and a chorus of 300 voices filled the room. That night my wife and I spoke of the incident and wondered if the club was getting away from it's traditions and philosophy. I think sometimes we the people forget why we recite the pledge, and why it means so much in this Republic we hold so dear. Especially in times like these.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast