School Officials in Mass. Town Won't Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School Officials in Mass. Town Won't Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    I think sometimes we the people forget why we recite the pledge, and why it means so much in this Republic we hold so dear. Especially in times like these.

Well put, Duke

Why do we recite the pledge?
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Why do we recite the pledge?
    Because we still can!

So, the PoA really is just like masturbation.

Well one reason to recite it might be to remind some or the illiterate people out there that this is a republic and not a democracy.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

So, the PoA really is just like masturbation.
    Sounds like we have a Rex Curry fan among us

I have no idea who that is, so by definition, I am not his fan.

Again Cathy, I ask, Who is suggesting coercion?

...So long as the students are not being disruptive, there is no grounds on the parts of the administration to prevent them from making such an oath...
    This is the point of the article, and this thread.

Guarantee freedoms of religion, speech, press, and self-defense or require kids to recite a pledge?
    Right, including their right to recite the pledge. Regardless of the usefulness, if they wish to peacefully and un-disruptively recite it, are they not free to do so?

I'm just really having a hard time understanding the point you're trying to make. When your rants are based on the premise that someone is being coerced, it renders your entire point irrelevant.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

It's not about being forced to do so under duress. It's about doing so if you feel the need to. It's about doing so at a given time and in an organized manner with others joining in by choice as witnesses. Voluntarily... Remain seated peacefully and skip the step if it causes discomfort. I don't recall it taking more than 15 to 20 seconds of time...

As a citizen of the United States of America I feel that I would pledge my life to this nation. The act of pledging allegiance to the flag is a figurative gesture that indicates ones intent to be a good citizen and remain loyal to the nation for which it stands. It also means a little more...

To me it means that by giving your word you would do nothing to harm the safety and well being of other citizens or compromise the security of the nation by "selling it out" to another. It means that you would not leak top secret government plans to Iraq or Iran or North Korea for examples, when you grow up... It means that by giving your word in front of witnesses with hand over heart, no matter how mad you may get at the leaders of this country, you will not park a truck full of fertilizer and diesel in front of a government building with the intent to kill innocent people.

I'm not sure if I've articulated this all that well so feel free to chime in anyone. I feel it is more than just a gesture.

There should be no restriction on doing so just as there should be no requirement to do so. If anyone feels the need to recite the pledge and have others do so at the same time, more power to them.

It's the same as placing your hand on the Holy Bible and in front of witnesses, stating that you will not tell a lie. People should be held to their word.

My 2 pennies... Reprove, Rebuke, Rebuttal all welcome...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    It's not about being forced to do so under duress. It's about doing so if you feel the need to. It's about doing so at a given time and in an organized manner with others joining in by choice as witnesses. Voluntarily... Remain seated peacefully and skip the step if it causes discomfort. I don't recall it taking more than 15 to 20 seconds of time...

As a citizen of the United States of America I feel that I would pledge my life to this nation. The act of pledging allegiance to the flag is a figurative gesture that indicates ones intent to be a good citizen and remain loyal to the nation for which it stands. It also means a little more...

To me it means that by giving your word you would do nothing to harm the safety and well being of other citizens or compromise the security of the nation by "selling it out" to another. It means that you would not leak top secret government plans to Iraq or Iran or North Korea for examples, when you grow up... It means that by giving your word in front of witnesses with hand over heart, no matter how mad you may get at the leaders of this country, you will not park a truck full of fertilizer and diesel in front of a government building with the intent to kill innocent people.

I'm not sure if I've articulated this all that well so feel free to chime in anyone. I feel it is more than just a gesture.

There should be no restriction on doing so just as there should be no requirement to do so. If anyone feels the need to recite the pledge and have others do so at the same time, more power to them.

It's the same as placing your hand on the Holy Bible and in front of witnesses, stating that you will not tell a lie. People should be held to their word.

My 2 pennies... Reprove, Rebuke, Rebuttal all welcome...

Peace...
    Thanks 6shooter...wish my post had been as eloquent and level headed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast