A little history lesson! Gadsen Flag!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little history lesson! Gadsen Flag!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    Ask any Marine whom has done the common 14 mile forced marches down the beach at Camp Pendleton in boots and full gear (75 pounds plus in the Alice Pack Days)...
    AH Sch*^, I Puked......
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    Not quite sure what part you think is exaggerated ?

5.7 miles an hour or a roughly a 11 minute mile = a 17 mile forced march, which is not a remarkable feat then or now...

Ask any Marine whom has done the common 14 mile forced marches down the beach at Camp Pendleton in boots and full gear (75 pounds plus in the Alice Pack Days)...

A slow marathon runner is somebody whom cannot run the 26 mile gauntlet in less then 3 hours... 8.7 miles an hour or roughly a 7 minute mile...

Be that as it may... the main point being that historically when our means to effectively oppose a tyrannical government where threatened to be banned/confiscated etc., (Cannons, etc., in the Case of Lexington & Concord and the Alamo) we did not bend over and take it and say thank you sir, may I have another?
    The confusing part was this:

The British soldiers were forced to stop their journey many times to wait for back up and supplies but eventually they made it to Lexington sometime around sunrise the next day. The seventeen mile march took about three hours to complete but the British were very unorganized.
    It says they had to stop several times and started that evening and made it by sunrise but it only took 3 hours. I am missing something in this along with them being unorganized.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    The confusing part was this:

It says they had to stop several times and started that evening and made it by sunrise but it only took 3 hours. I am missing something in this along with them being unorganized.
    I can see how that might be a little confusing...

"The British troops began their march from Boston Common late in the evening of April 18th, 1775. The British soldiers were forced to stop their journey many times to wait for back up and supplies but eventually they made it to Lexington sometime around sunrise the next day. The seventeen mile march took about three hours to complete but the British were very unorganized."

As I parse it; I gather that the 17 mile forced march in-itself tool about three hours, not including the times they stopped...
    The cluster-fu*ck probably started in motion sometime before midnight and took them all night to arrive at their destination...
    And as the saying goes "without organization, there is only confusion" so the colonists were easily able to adapt & overcome a force superior in size & armament and training by tactically & mentally being better prepared in that scenario...

peace

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

I always enjoy reading the different accounts of historical events such as that. I think it was someone on this board that said when quoting the Bible you should use the 20/20 rule. Read 20 verses before and 20 after to get a better understanding of it. When telling history you probably should read 20 different versions to determine what probably happened. We all like to put our own spin on things and history get so very distorted. Paul Revere was immortalized in a poem but actually only rode a few miles before being captured. George Washington refused a salary for being General but an examination of his expense account would make a Wall Street CEO blush. This is not to take away anything from anyone but rather to put things into reality.

One of my favorites in this area is how may people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776?

On July 4, 1776 the original declaration of Independence was signed by only two people, Charles Thomson as Secretary and John Hancock as President of the Continental Congress. The original signed Declaration of Independence was then taken to John Dunlap, a Philadelphia printer. John Dunlap printed 500 Hancock/Thomson "typed signed" Broadsides which were distributed to the members of Congress and the King of England. The original Declaration of Independence that was actually signed by Thomson and Hancock, however, was lost in the fever of Freedom. On August 2, 1776 the delegates returned to Philadelphia to sign a newly prepared Declaration of Independence and for some known reason Thomson was not invited to sign. 56 people signed total.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepen...ited_States%29

http://hnn.us/articles/132.html

1. Burnett, Edward Cody (1941). The Continental Congress. New York: W.W. Norton. pp. 191–96.
    2. Warren, Charles (July 1945). "Fourth of July Myths". The William and Mary Quarterly. 3d 2 (3): 238–272.
    3. "Top 5 Myths About the Fourth of July!". History News Network. George Mason University. June 30, 2001. http://hnn.us/articles/132.html. Retrieved June 28, 2009.
    4. Becker, pp. 184–85. Becker, Carl L. (1922). The Declaration of Independence: A Study in the History of Political Ideas. New York: Harcourt, Brace. http://books.google.com/books?id=tpMaAAAAYAAJ.
    5. For the minority scholarly argument that the Declaration was indeed signed on July 4, see Wilfred J. Ritz, "The Authentication of the Engrossed Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776". Law and History Review 4, no. 1 (Spring 1986): 179–204.

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12