Am I just paranoid? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I just paranoid?

Better to be paranoid and aware, than complacent and dead.

Two things are nice in the country. Driveway alarm system across the house. Dogs trained not to take food from strangers. OK now I thought of a third. Two large ganders LOL wake them up and they are better then watch dogs.
    And no you are not paranoia when someone is actually watching you.

PRO-LIFE FROM CONCEPTION TO NATURAL DEATH
    TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN. HOLY BIBLE]

Quote Originally Posted by bdlove View Post
    we have a circle drive. and it is pretty close to the house. and we arent that far off of the road. Everyone on this road looks out for everybody else. We let each other know when we will be away for extended periods of time. Getting a big dog is OUT of the question. The hunting camera would be good but arent they a little pricey. I know you cant put a price on life but somethings i just cant afford right now. I like to think that i am prepared if something were to happen. But that night the doorbell rang i was out of it. The sensor coming into the driveway is a good idea but i dont know if my granpa would go for it.(Its his house.)
    Maybe you could start by letting your porch/front light on overnight. It's possible that alone would discourage these strange noctural visits. It also may not be a bad idea to let your local police/sheriff know about these late night visits...just to have it on record in case you ever need to defend yourselves from these prowlers.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    Maybe you could start by letting your porch/front light on overnight. It's possible that alone would discourage these strange noctural visits. It also may not be a bad idea to let your local police/sheriff know about these late night visits...just to have it on record in case you ever need to defend yourselves from these prowlers.
    Ding!!! +1

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

6. i would first chain the driveway entrances so no access can be made to it once you have settled for the night. motion cameras and lights are great to have for any home. paranoid or not.

i agree with everyone else. better to be a little paranoid than....

Resources i already have!

thanks for the ideas everyone. I got to thinking and looking around to see what i already had that i could use. I found an old webcam that I no longer use, because my laptop has one built in. I never got rid of it, even though i thought i would never need it. I dug it out and long story short i have it working on my laptop. It has a motion detection feature. When it detects motion it starts recording. And since i have a rather large hard drive i figure i can position the camera in my window sill. That way if it IS seen it cant be damaged without a lot of noise. it takes an OK video. I am thinking this is a good start and using resources i already have. Opinions?

Time is your best friend.

All of the ideas posted have merit. Anything you can do too gain time to react is good too do.
    It all depends on your resources and imagination. We have lived in this location 39 years and were robbed
    twice early on. Dead end road with out much around us until a few years ago.
    After the second time we have always had at least two German Shepard's in 1400 foot of fence to keep them close. The CCTV system has grown too 24 cameras over the years and I am getting ready to upgrade the whole system next time it needs work Costco and others are having some great sales on
    CCTV systems now.
    I just put in an 8 camera system for the youngest daughter that covers all her property for $299.
    Color daytime, black and white with night vision at night. Digital DVR records for 14 days at high rez.
    That can be increased with a bigger hard drive.
    I also just upgraded our Alarm system to a new Smith and Wesson system. Yes they are now in that
    business and everything is U.S. made. Also went with GSM Cell phone instead of wired phone line that
    can be cut. I have done almost all the work myself and most newer CCTV systems are very easy to install.
    One advantage of the newer DVR's is most have 3 video outputs. One VGA for a monitor and two BNC.
    The BNC can be run to TV"S with a BNC to RCA adapter. Hooked to a TV you only have to change the
    function input too see the cameras. Looks good on a 42 in. LCD

Lasershield makes a very good alarm system that is aimed at renters but works well anywhere. Completely wireless motion detectors. Costco had them and others sometimes you can get the monitoring at a discount from them.

The kid already had one in her apt. so we just moved it and added some units when she got the house.

We have had many years too add and upgrade things as we had money. The main thing is ANYTHING
    you can do to gain time will help.

A simple driveway alarm and motions lights will do a lot. If you get inside my fence and are taller than
    my dogs the lights all come on.

We never used to think anything of the cars sitting out on the access road to the developement behind us until we got robbed last year . Funny how very rare do we see any cars there anymore never felt more violated in our lives . We had an alarm system put in right after and the dogs get the run of the house when were gone now . Good luck I dont think your being paranoid at all

Quote Originally Posted by bdlove View Post
    Ok here goes.

I live in a VERY rural part of SC. In the past couple of months during the night i see headlights(as if someone is turning into out drive). I also here a the vehicles engine. So it seems as if someone is pulling into my driveway. By the time i get up and check noone is there. It has been happing a LOT. And it is very later at night. That many people cant be turning around! Keeping that in mind, I was awakend the other night by something. by this time my grandpa was coming back down the hall. I asked him if everything was alright. He said that the door bell had rang and he got up to see who it was. When he got to the door NOONE was there. So it was the doorbell that woke me up. So BOTH of us heard it. Im thinking about installing some kind of surviellance system. What is everyones take on this. Am i just paranoid?
    you could invest in some guiney hens, they will raise hell if any thing moves and eat ticks and chiggers!
    doing what is popular is not always right and doing what is right is not always popular

Quote Originally Posted by oldvet53 View Post
    you could invest in some guiney hens, they will raise hell if any thing moves and eat ticks and chiggers!
    I would end up using them for target practice!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast