Am I just paranoid?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I just paranoid?

Am I just paranoid?

Ok here goes.

I live in a VERY rural part of SC. In the past couple of months during the night i see headlights(as if someone is turning into out drive). I also here a the vehicles engine. So it seems as if someone is pulling into my driveway. By the time i get up and check noone is there. It has been happing a LOT. And it is very later at night. That many people cant be turning around! Keeping that in mind, I was awakend the other night by something. by this time my grandpa was coming back down the hall. I asked him if everything was alright. He said that the door bell had rang and he got up to see who it was. When he got to the door NOONE was there. So it was the doorbell that woke me up. So BOTH of us heard it. Im thinking about installing some kind of surviellance system. What is everyones take on this. Am i just paranoid?

wolfhunter Guest
    Borrow or buy one of those hunter's cameras and set it up near the entrance to your drive. The are motion activated and will give you pictures of your nocturnal visitors, and possibly what they are doing.

I would say you are being watched. It sounds like someone is feeling you out possibly for a burglary.

I understand how you feel, I live in a very rural location as well. In fact my closest neighbor is over a mile away. If where you live is like here everyone knows everyone. Start asking questions, someone will know something.

Or you could do what I did several years ago. I had a similar incident with people driving to my house. My driveway is a tich over 500yds long. I set a motion detector (hidden) at the bottom of my driveway with a chime that would go off in the house when somebody started up my driveway.
    I greeted two different sets of folks with an AR in my hands & miraculously no one ever "got lost" again.

Good luck, batten down the hatches & put your valuables in the gun safe... Oh & buy a dog. A BIG DOG
    Never argue with an idiot. First they drag you down to their level then they beat you with experience!

That's not being paranoid that's being alert and aware. Wolfhunter has a great idea. Try and hide it so that if you do have visitors and they see the flash, they will not be able to find it.

The motion detector as indicated by Boomer is also a great idea.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

we have a circle drive. and it is pretty close to the house. and we arent that far off of the road. Everyone on this road looks out for everybody else. We let each other know when we will be away for extended periods of time. Getting a big dog is OUT of the question. The hunting camera would be good but arent they a little pricey. I know you cant put a price on life but somethings i just cant afford right now. I like to think that i am prepared if something were to happen. But that night the doorbell rang i was out of it. The sensor coming into the driveway is a good idea but i dont know if my granpa would go for it.(Its his house.)

Quote Originally Posted by bdlove View Post
    we have a circle drive. and it is pretty close to the house. and we arent that far off of the road. Everyone on this road looks out for everybody else. We let each other know when we will be away for extended periods of time. Getting a big dog is OUT of the question. The hunting camera would be good but arent they a little pricey. I know you cant put a price on life but somethings i just cant afford right now. I like to think that i am prepared if something were to happen. But that night the doorbell rang i was out of it. The sensor coming into the driveway is a good idea but i dont know if my granpa would go for it.(Its his house.)
    Do you have any outdoor lights on motion sensors? just asking to find out if it's possible to re-task them or focusing them to see more of the driveway. Perhaps a light pole with AC power?
    Outdoor motion light sensors can be used to trigger or switch on other AC devices. Just food for thought. If these visitors have been to the home before as you suspect, a change in the night time environment that they don't expect could let them know that you are aware of their coming and going...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

A lot of good advice here. Cameras, lights and I would add a good alarm system. They are not to expensive if you stay away from the big national companies. With them you have to pay for the t.v. adds, corporate jets etc. Of course always have a firearm at the ready.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

We have a big nightlite provided by our power company. We also have a small light pole with a light on it. (We hardly use it because the big light is more than enough light. However the small light pole does have an ac plug on it. A motion light would be great.
    Just a lil background. My granpa spent 31 years in the Army. He was a CID agent.
    None of this seems to bother him. Thats why i was thinking maybe im just paranoid!

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Of course always have a firearm at the ready.
    Always. When we have family over we have to "Childproof" the house!

Quote Originally Posted by bdlove View Post
    We have a big nightlite provided by our power company. We also have a small light pole with a light on it. (We hardly use it because the big light is more than enough light. However the small light pole does have an ac plug on it. A motion light would be great.
    Just a lil background. My granpa spent 31 years in the Army. He was a CID agent.
    None of this seems to bother him. Thats why i was thinking maybe im just paranoid!
    Better to be a little paranoid than dead.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast