Anne Rice Quits Christianity
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anne Rice Quits Christianity

Anne Rice Quits Christianity

The blogosphere has been abuzz since Anne Rice, a novelist known for writing about vampires sent a “shot across the bow” of the Christian Church after declaring that she was quitting Christianity.

In a posting on her Facebook page, she said, “I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being ‘Christian’ or being a part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”

See the whole story here:

FOXNews.com - Anne Rice Quits Christianity -- 10 Thoughts On Jesus and the Church

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    The blogosphere has been abuzz since Anne Rice, a novelist known for writing about vampires sent a “shot across the bow” of the Christian Church after declaring that she was quitting Christianity.

In a posting on her Facebook page, she said, “I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being ‘Christian’ or being a part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”

FOXNews.com - Anne Rice Quits Christianity -- 10 Thoughts On Jesus and the Church
    While I may approve of Anne's statement. I thought that anything that had to do with religon went in the religous room?
    Shouldn't this be moved?

I just noted that forum heading was religion and guns. No gun stuff (?)

Seemed more just off-topic, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post

As I have said before, it's her right to believe what she wishes. However, her reasons cannot be supported. Many churches support birth control, are quite feminist in their beliefs, many pastors are Democrats, believe in science and isn't anti-abortion pro-life? It's true the majority of organized church's are anti gay. I also know many Christians who hold no grudges for secularists. I am one of those. She's condemning an entire system of faith for the actions of the minority of Christians.

6. What's the matter Anne, your christian themed books ain't selling?

Andy

Unless she writes for a gun magazine, I don't believe I've ever heard of her

anne who?

I never heard of her, but am in agreement with her 10 thoughts.

9. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I never heard of her, but am in agreement with her 10 thoughts.
    Anne Rice's novels enraptured a portion of my imagination during my childhood. Her books can get tedious to read (you'll need a thesaurus), but they're 10x better than most novels on the market these days.

Anne Rice also took the pen name Anne Rampling and wrote some pretty unique erotica under that name. Rice is probably my fifth favorite writer.

I just thought it was interesting how a notable intellectual/writer had gone public against religion.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    As I have said before, it's her right to believe what she wishes. However, her reasons cannot be supported. Many churches support birth control, are quite feminist in their beliefs, many pastors are Democrats, believe in science and isn't anti-abortion pro-life? It's true the majority of organized church's are anti gay. I also know many Christians who hold no grudges for secularists. I am one of those. She's condemning an entire system of faith for the actions of the minority of Christians.
    +1 - Anne SHOULD know that it's not about Religion, but a relationship with God.. Religion is man's way to try to aid in that relationship, and people tend to get in the way with their agenda's and their own beliefs.
    I would NOT say that I am anti-religion, but I am Anti-MOST Religions for the reasons stated above. I do not have an issue with most of Anne's points and I believe, IF I remember right that she was Catholic, which explains a lot of her statements.
    IF it had not been for Christianity, Women would not have nearly as equal a standing as they do. In Jesus's time, Women were considered little more than property and by Jesus's example he held women in high regard and encouraged them to sit at his feet and learn just like the men..

The next statement will not be popular with some..
    I am also NOT Anti-Gay any more than I am Anti-Promiscuity, Anti-Lying, or any other Anti-any other "sin", which we are all guilty of.. Most Christians hold the Gay Lifestyle to a Higher level of awful, but it is a sin like any other.. IF you want to be gay, go have at it.. What you do in your house with another consenting adult(s), go for it.. Just don't ask me (or demand) that I say it's right, Just as I don't ask you, (or demand) that you say Christianity is the only true religion, although I believe it is.

To some extent is sounds like Anne is on the right track to stop following MEN and Follow Jesus instead. She needs to pull out her Bible and decide for herself what Jesus would have her do...
    She (Nor anyone else) will not be able to use the excuse, "well I was following So and So's teaching" on judgment day..
    We will all be judged on our own for our actions/thoughts..
    Thank God that I have an advocate that has already paid the price for my MANY wrongs!!!
    I am just a sinner (like everyone else) saved by grace, trying to allow myself to get a little better each day.. I still have a long way to go!!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast