9 volt battery warning! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 volt battery warning!

Good vs Bad batteries...

Thanks for the photos, Sheldon.

But I think stuff like this happens a LOT more often than we hear of. I try to stick to Duracell or Costco's Kirkland (which I think are made by Duracell also).

All the batteries I use have Made in U.S.A. on them, yet have had a 5xD-Cell Mag-Lite get destroyed by Made in U.S.A. Duracell batteries from corrosion.

Just seems that after messing with batteries for a zillion years they should be able to make even the cheapest ones so they don't leak/corrode and or explode, but we sure get shown otherwise about that, don't we.

Look at the thousands of recalls on notebook computer batteries. Dell comes to mind with having a huge problem with exploding batteries.

Thank goodness it never caused a big problem for you, Sheldon. Thanks for the heads up.

Ken

121210 2225

I've got some new Rayovac Batteries here, just looked, their made in Malaysia. When I buy something I try to buy a quality item, I don't care who made it. A Car made in the USA was 25% foreign parts, thats how they kept from having to meet the gas mileage rules.

I use NiMH cells almost exclusively, so I don't buy batteries that often. That being said, I did note that the last time I took old rechargeable batteries into Radioshack for recyling, they individually bagged each cell to prevent shortouts in transit.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    LOL Your smoke detectors are not hardwired? I keep a few 9V's kicking around for starting fires when out camping. I have had my share of china made battery's exploding and man it sucks. My last D mag light had to be throw away because the battery's exploded inside it.
    No that is called you left them in way past their expiration date, they leaked and corroded the heck out of it, had it happen to my son's mag light and he used energizers...

N although it is sad many batteries are made in the same factories, by the same company's or using the same suppliers but just with a different label on the outside... Unless it specifically says "made in the USA".......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    What do you expect from a Chicom battery called "Thunderbolt"?
    awww man.. You beat me to it!
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

7. Why the battery exploded

They were made with an electrolyte imbalance, which produces oxygen inside the battery and eventually bulges then pops it.

This was a problem with Lenovo motherboards for a while - a Taiwanese (if I remember right) company tried to steal the electrolyte formula of a rival company and got it wrong, and released a whole bunch of capacitors with an electrolyte imbalance.

If you look on a computer motherboard, the capacitors are the things that look like little batteries (capacitors have a capacity) and notice they are all scored with an X or plus sign on top, so that if they're imbalanced they will pop like popcorn and not explode like a grenade.

Once upon a time a certain deputy sheriff carried a spare battery for his walkie talkie in his pocket with a reload of loose 357 ammo, you guessed it, BOOM!
    This happened in the early 70's but I was unable to find documentation of exact time or place, however I remember hearing of it when I was working with the SD.

9. I'm honestly thinking someone in China is intentionally sending known dangerous or built to be dangerous products to the US.

Lead paint on products that have had crazy levels of lead, clothing with contaminated threads (even got a pair of shorts myself on this one), and exploding batteries...probably much more that hasn't gotten out in the open just yet.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dorkfish View Post
    I'm honestly thinking someone in China is intentionally sending known dangerous or built to be dangerous products to the US.
    Oh, they're not shy about giving this stuff to their own people either. Remember the pet food that killed pets due to the melamine put in to boost the readings of the protein levels? There was a baby milk manufacturer that did the same thing over there. It was delivered to their own country-men and last I heard at least 12 infants died. They executed the person who authorized the purchase order for the melamine and had instructed their workers to add it to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Booga View Post
    Oh, they're not shy about giving this stuff to their own people either. Remember the pet food that killed pets due to the melamine put in to boost the readings of the protein levels? There was a baby milk manufacturer that did the same thing over there. It was delivered to their own country-men and last I heard at least 12 infants died. They executed the person who authorized the purchase order for the melamine and had instructed their workers to add it to the mix.
    This is what happens when nations industrialize too quickly and don't have the manufacturing and quality control expertise to be able to keep things under control. Demand in some areas far exceeded their ability to deliver quality products, and although it has begun to contract in some niches due to the bad economy, it has continued to grow in others. We can hold off on buying new furniture and clothes, but batteries have a fairly consistent demand. So, they're making more crap than ever before.

Some things made in China are really good quality - they make Apple's stuff and a whole lot of high-end industrial equipment nowadays. But, quality or not, it's still killing us in the export department.

Oh well, we all die eventually!
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast