What got you into shooting?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What got you into shooting?

What got you into shooting?

When did you start shooting? What really got you interested in shooting? I'll start. My uncle got me into shooting. He was a marksman with a rifle and a pistol. I have a plaque of his from December 05 that said he was a top shooter with MPCPA. He was such an influence on me and I wish he was still here today.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    If you look under civilians, he is number 6. He was a great shooter. Unfortunately he passed away November 16, 2005. This is the picture of his plaque. Maybe one of you guys from Michigan might have shot with him. But what go you guys interested in shooting?

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I was permitted to start carrying a .22 LR solo at age 12 I believe. Grew up on a Texas ranch and it was pretty commonplace for kids in the 12 - 13 range to start carrying a rimfire rifle when out on horseback with the livestock.

Even after graduating to a .243 for TX deer hunting, I still used iron sights. Wasn't until my dad took me on my first antelope hunt (and got a brand new Rem M700 ADL Win .270) that I finally got a scope...a 4X Weaver. Still have that rifle, stock all scratched up and banged up and the bluing worn off in places but it's still a good shooter. Have moved on to magnums in the later years but that old .270 is still capable of anchoring western mulies, antelope and even elk if I do my part. I used to read Jack O'Connor's Outdoor Life articles religiously and he started me on a lifelong love affair with the Win .270.

3X PM

Bootcamp

Joined the Coast Guard 28SEP81. They gave me an M16 and a 1911 .45ACP to shoot during range training, it was love at first sight.

I currently own an LWRC M6, two .45's (ones a 1911) and a .380.

Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

I have been shooting guns as long as I can remember, but I would have to say that my uncle taught me the most about guns. He had a lot of different guns that I got to shoot. He passed away not long ago but, he was a christian so I know that I will get to see him again.

Obama

The election of Barack Obama got me into guns, so I'm a newbie. I didn't own one until then, though I had a couple in the past, many years ago.
    Alan, TN

Quote Originally Posted by decotriumph View Post
    The election of Barack Obama got me into guns, so I'm a newbie. I didn't own one until then, though I had a couple in the past, many years ago.
    What he says!
    Izzie
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I'm an Aussie the anti's really screwed us so when I moved to the USA I brought my first handgun
    A good friend will sit next to you in jail and say damn we had fun

Quote Originally Posted by AussieRogue View Post
    I'm an Aussie the anti's really screwed us so when I moved to the USA I brought my first handgun
    Another Aussie! yayyyy! Aussie from New Mexico...I'm from the WH in Missouri...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

well growing up,hunting was our way of putting meat on the table pretty utilitarian really, but later I entered into law enforcement and became involved in training back in the 80's (alright peeps dont go there lol) Its been a 30 year love affair with all kinds of guns ever since, Hav shot IPSCA, IDPA< NRA, LE stuff .

11. Quote Originally Posted by rushfan24 View Post
    When did you start shooting? What really got you interested in shooting? I'll start. My uncle got me into shooting. He was a marksman with a rifle and a pistol. I have a plaque of his from December 05 that said he was a top shooter with MPCPA. He was such an influence on me and I wish he was still here today.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    If you look under civilians, he is number 6. He was a great shooter. Unfortunately he passed away November 16, 2005. This is the picture of his plaque. Maybe one of you guys from Michigan might have shot with him. But what go you guys interested in shooting?

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    Great story sir ! I miss my uncles too ; he had guns , but my father after WWII would not look or keep guns . He had to retire to a rural area of Wisconsin and had personal crime then changed his mind . Is there hope for liberals ? I think not . God Bless .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast