Read Any Good Books Lately?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Read Any Good Books Lately??

Decision Points by George W. Bush...I still have to finish it as I still have some photography books to go through too.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Fiction

Just finished Tom Clancy 's Dead or Alive. Fantastic read and I finished the book with it's fantastic climax the same time as the real climax. I'll try not to give any more away.

Quote Originally Posted by willyNH View Post
    Just finished Tom Clancy 's Dead or Alive. Fantastic read and I finished the book with it's fantastic climax the same time as the real climax. I'll try not to give any more away.
    I was an avid Clancy reader but I started getting a little annoyed with his writings around the time "Rainbow Six" came out. His good-guy characters are a little too perfect for my tastes - always the absolute best at what they do, never making any sort of real mistake, seemingly without flaws. Where's the good-guy who drinks too much?? Or the one who's "other" head gets him into trouble?? Or the one who's been divorced 4 times because he's just a complete jerk when it comes to women?? How 'bout a compulsive gambler who's deeply in debt to some bookies?? Clancy's protagonists need a few skeltons in their closets.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I still have some photography books to go through too.
    The TIME/LIFE books series on photography was realy good. Admittedly technology is leaps and bounds above what it was in the early 1980's when this series was writen, but the information is still sound.

6. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    The TIME/LIFE books series on photography was realy good. Admittedly technology is leaps and bounds above what it was in the early 1980's when this series was writen, but the information is still sound.
    Gulf, now that make perfect sense to me now, as to your wittyness.

Liberalisim is a Mental Disorder.....Michael Weiner.... I love this guy

One Second After......Fiction takes place in Ashville when am EMP's shut down the usa.

Trickle up Poverty.....Michael Weiner I love this guy

The Manchurian President.......Well documented history of the dictor in the White House/ White hating/anti-Capitolist
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

FWIW, the TIME/LIFE WWII series of books were well writen also.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I was an avid Clancy reader but I started getting a little annoyed with his writings around the time "Rainbow Six" came out. His good-guy characters are a little too perfect for my tastes - always the absolute best at what they do, never making any sort of real mistake, seemingly without flaws. Where's the good-guy who drinks too much?? Or the one who's "other" head gets him into trouble?? Or the one who's been divorced 4 times because he's just a complete jerk when it comes to women?? How 'bout a compulsive gambler who's deeply in debt to some bookies?? Clancy's protagonists need a few skeltons in their closets.
    I quit reading about half way through Rainbow 6. The storyline just got ridiculous after Ryan became the President. Clancy does have some interesting nonfiction out there too though
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I liked "Rainbow Six" but haven't read many other Clancy books that he wrote himself. "Without Remorse" is a good one. I read a couple of the "Splinter Cell" series, "Ghost Recon" (I actually had the computer game) and one called "Teeth of the Tiger" - none of which were written by Clancy himself. They were okay but not great.

"The Disciple" by Stephen Coonts is pretty good. "Liars and Thieves" (same author) isn't bad.

I'm trying to read "Atlas Shrugged" but it's a bit of a struggle. Ayn Rand must have been paid by the word for that one.

If I survive Shrugged, either "The Assassin" by Coonts or "The Last of the Mohicans" (never read it but saw the movie) is up next.
    Last edited by SC Tiger; 05-27-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled Rand's name

[QUOTE=SC Tiger;202253]
    I'm trying to read "Atlas Shrugged" but it's a bit of a struggle. Ann Rynd must have been paid by the word for that one.QUOTE]

It picks up, but she does get a bit wordy at times.

Just finished Fall of the Giants by Ken Follett. Actually burned through Pillars of the Earth and World without End by Follett as well. Great read if you're into history.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Actually burned through Pillars of the Earth.....
    I've been meaning to read this one for about 20yrs. Probably high time to bump it up near the top of the list
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast