Read Any Good Books Lately??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Read Any Good Books Lately??

Read Any Good Books Lately??

I'm a voracious reader and I'm always looking for something good. I don't read much fiction (a bit from time to time) but I'll burn through just about anything else (especially history and biographies). Here are 3 good ones I've read lately:

- "The Eichmann Trial". A very interesting look into the motivations and machinations of hunting and trying war criminals. Turns out it has some interesting parallels to some current events (The Demjanjuk verdict and the bin-Laden raid).

- "Empire of the Summer Moon". A study of the Commanches of the old West. A cross between the Mongol hordes and the Imperial Roman army....all in our own backyard.

- "The Forsaken". About the thousands of Americans who relocated to the USSR during the Great Depression seeking a "workers paradise" only to get sucked into a nightmare from which most never returned. The 2nd half of this book is particularly riveting. Makes me appreciate the good old USA all the more.

I'm about to start "Baseball in the Garden of Eden", about the early goings-on of my favorite sport.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

"Empire of the Summer Moon" and "The Forsaken" seem like good reads to me. Hopefully you won't mind me being a little self-serving here, but I have a short story I've published as a Kindle ebook on Amazon. Visit: "Canyon City Cataclysm" - 2011 to read a preview. I'm a new writer and I am working on a novel to go with it.

The Custer Reader by Andrew Hutton Univerisity of Oklahoma Press: Compliation of writings about Custer by himself and his contempararies.

Team Yankee By Harold Coyle Fiction a armor heavy mechanized infantry unit fights the USSR in the late 80's fictional story very accurate depiction of Army life in the field
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Non-fiction: "All the Devils Are Here" is the complete, documented account of the financial "melt-down". It will truly open your eyes to the thievery that is the banking and stock market industry. You'll never trust a banker again.

Follow it up with "The Big Short". Again, related to the "melt-down", it details the actual workings of hedge funds when they were busy stealing American's money.

From many years ago, no truly independent individualist is complete without reading Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead".

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Team Yankee By Harold Coyle Fiction a armor heavy mechanized infantry unit fights the USSR in the late 80's fictional story very accurate depiction of Army life in the field
    Read it when it first came out. Couldn't put it down. Literally. Started reading it one Saturday afternoon and didn't stop until the sun came up Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    Non-fiction: "All the Devils Are Here" is the complete, documented account of the financial "melt-down". It will truly open your eyes to the thievery that is the banking and stock market industry. You'll never trust a banker again.
    Again? You gotta trust one in the first place in order to trust one "again"!

I've been tempted to read a couple of books about the financial crisis but I try to avoid anything that makes my say things like "You bleeping bleepity bleep greedy mother-bleeper!" over and over again. Too stressful!

I'll get around to it one day.

Thumbs up Good Books

Human Kinetics and Mel Bay both publish a wide variety of good books.

-Jumping into Plyometrics- By Donald A. Chu, was a good book, I have the first edition and might go ahead and purchase the expanded second addition to see what new ideas he has in this area.

-Getting Stronger- By Bill Pearl, another book I should probably get the newest edition of.

-Stretching- By Bob Anderson, a classic, this man realy set the standard for fitness books. A lot of good information on flexability training.

I must have lost my mind ( or forgot who I was talking to)

The Federalist Papers
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Patriots by James Wesley rawles is pretty good, fiction account of prepping team during a shtf scenario

In the company of hero's. Is an outstanding book. Lone survivor is another outstanding book,Roberts Ridge.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast