Cooking with cast iorn. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Cooking with cast iorn.

  1. #11
    My wife and I have been married for nearly 54 years and still have some of the iron skillets, Dutch oven, etc. we started with. You can't wear it out and you can't find anything better.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    We have some Lodge cast iron but my wife actually found several pieces in a scrap metal pile a nieghbor was getting rid of. She brought it home cleaned it and seasoned it and went to town. She also has several tortilla flats that she uses when she makes tortillas.

    The only problem we've had was making scalloped potatoes in the dutch oven, they sat just a little too long and took on the iron taste
    From what I have read, when that happens you need to re-season the pan. Their website says to clean it with soap(this once) so it has a fresh surface. Rub vegetable oil lard all over the pan, lay it upside down in the oven at 375-400 for an hour.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    When my EX and I split 10 years ago, the one thing that really P'd her off was that I took our large Cast Iron Fry Pan. Of course being the gentleman that I am, modest too. I let her have the Dutch Oven. I'm almost up to 10 yrs with this wife and the pan is as great as the day I bought it, some 25 years now. Had to re-season it once (EX didn't listen to me once again, hence the EX)
    SW&MP40 has it right. Once "Properly Seasoned" correctly, you should never have a problem with sticking or taste transfer. KEY is "Properly Seasoned"! GOOGLE it if you need more directions. After use I clean with soap/water with light abrasion of a green scrubbing pad. Paper towel dry then a dab on olive oil to spread with a dry paper towel, JUST a dab.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dunnville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    8
    These days, I use a dutch oven, a square (antique) fry pan, a 10" deep "chicken fryer" and a common 8" skillet daily. I've had the nice, expensive brands of stainless and continue to go back to cast iron. I even have a cast iron wok -- but it's really too heavy to handle easily, so I usually grab the "chicken fryer" for stir-fry meals. I'll never go back to using stainless.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    When my EX and I split 10 years ago, the one thing that really P'd her off was that I took our large Cast Iron Fry Pan. Of course being the gentleman that I am, modest too. I let her have the Dutch Oven. I'm almost up to 10 yrs with this wife and the pan is as great as the day I bought it, some 25 years now. Had to re-season it once (EX didn't listen to me once again, hence the EX)
    SW&MP40 has it right. Once "Properly Seasoned" correctly, you should never have a problem with sticking or taste transfer. KEY is "Properly Seasoned"! GOOGLE it if you need more directions. After use I clean with soap/water with light abrasion of a green scrubbing pad. Paper towel dry then a dab on olive oil to spread with a dry paper towel, JUST a dab.
    I never use soap on my pans, they state not to use soap of any kind on them unless your going to re-season it. Depending on what I'm cooking I'll just wipe out the pan with a rag when done and reapply some oil. If I'm cooking something that is going to make a mess, I use hot water and a stiff nylon brush to scrub the pan, towel dry and then re-oil it.

    I heat the pan just a little before I apply the oil(as lodgecabin says to do.) I leave enough oil in the pan so it has a tin coating on it that will not dry up.

    I'm dieing to get a dutch over and a reversible griddle! Put that thing right over the open fire and cook my beans and hardtack, with fresh coffee/tea in the percolator.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    with fresh coffee/tea in the percolator.
    That's probably the WORST way to make coffee, burned, re-burned and over cooked.

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked View Post
    These days, I use a dutch oven, a square (antique) fry pan, a 10" deep "chicken fryer" and a common 8" skillet daily. I've had the nice, expensive brands of stainless and continue to go back to cast iron. I even have a cast iron wok -- but it's really too heavy to handle easily, so I usually grab the "chicken fryer" for stir-fry meals. I'll never go back to using stainless.
    I felt the same way mate! Pans every year-every other year,same old song and dance and handles would get loose or the rivets would start to pull out. If you ding/chip a non-stick pan it's dead and your left without a pan.

    If cast iron was good enough for the cowboys and the men/women before them, then it's good enough for me and my family.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I felt the same way mate! Pans every year-every other year,same old song and dance and handles would get loose or the rivets would start to pull out. If you ding/chip a non-stick pan it's dead and your left without a pan.
    We don't need no stinkin non-stick pans. All-Clad Metalcrafters

  10. I've got one that never leaves my stove...I don't even have a spot to store it since it's ALWAYS out. +1 for Lodge!

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    That's probably the WORST way to make coffee, burned, re-burned and over cooked.
    I guess it all depends on who is making the coffee, the few times I have used one I have never burned it.

    There is a scene from a civil war film(I think it's Gettysburg) they are expecting an attack to come so they set a trap. They take the coffee grinds and throw them into the fire, to make them think they are having breakfast. All you can see in the whole scene is the dutch oven and other cast iron pans on the fire.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast