I Have Only TWO Questions for You
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Have Only TWO Questions for You

I Have Only TWO Questions for You

One: Can those of you with less than obvious screen names explain their origins? i.e.: what's a G50AE? What's a Treo? Is jsdin Texas Justin in Texas, or is he just in Texas? Is snatale42 your name and age (Also, you have Archer as your avatar. You are a twisted individual).

Two: What are the different "Hoorays" for different branches of service? I'm a little confused about the Hoo-rahs, the Boo-yas, and the Oo-rahs. Also, have these changed through the years?

Awaiting edification.

Well, I am going to have to change my screen name. I will only be a Lieutenant in the Navy for 5 more days. On June 1 I become a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy. So I should become NavyLCDR.

Also "hooray" in the Navy is Bravo Zulu, or BZ:

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq101-2.htm

"Bravo Zulu"

This is a naval signal, conveyed by flaghoist or voice radio, meaning "well done"; it has also passed into the spoken and written vocabulary. It can be combined with the "negative" signal, spoken or written NEGAT, to say "NEGAT Bravo Zulu," or "not well done."

There are some "myths and legends" attached to this signal. The one most frequently heard has Admiral Halsey sending it to ships of Task Force 38 during World War II. He could not have done this, since the signal did not exist at that time.

"Bravo Zulu" actually comes from the Allied Naval Signal Book (ACP 175 series), an international naval signal code adopted after the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was created in 1949. Until then, each navy had used its own signal code and operational manuals. World War II experience had shown that it was difficult, or even impossible, for ships of different navies to operate together unless they could readily communicate, and ACP 175 was designed to remedy this.

In the U.S. Navy signal code, used before ACP 175, "well done" was signaled as TVG, or "Tare Victor George" in the U.S. phonetic alphabet of that time. ACP 175 was organized in the general manner of other signal books, that is, starting with 1-flag signals, then 2-flag and so on. The 2-flag signals were organized by general subject, starting with AA, AB, AC, ... AZ, BA, BB, BC, ... BZ, and so on. The B- signals were called "Administrative" signals, and dealt with miscellaneous matters of administration and housekeeping. The last signal on the "Administrative" page was BZ, standing for "well done."

At that time BZ was not rendered as "Bravo Zulu," but in each navy's particular phonetic alphabet. In the U.S. Navy, BZ was spoken as "Baker Zebra." In the meanwhile, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) had adopted English as the international air traffic control language. They developed a phonetic alphabet for international aviation use, designed to be as "pronounceable" as possible by flyers and traffic controllers speaking many different languages. This was the "Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta..." alphabet used today. The Navy adopted this ICAO alphabet in March 1956. It was then that "Baker Zebra" finally became "Bravo Zulu."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Well, I am going to have to change my screen name. I will only be a Lieutenant in the Navy for 5 more days. On June 1 I become a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy. So I should become NavyLCDR.
    Congrats Sir

SGB = my initials

Ooh-rah = Marine speak, "Semper Fi"

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I have had several spine surgeries, My lumbar spine is held together with cobalt steel artificial discs at 2 levels and lots of titanium screws. so it was either cobaltman or titaniumman. You know the rest of the story!!

My screen name is easy - in 1998 I traveled to Mainland China and adopted a beautiful little girl who is my greatest pride and joy. Father in Chinese is Baba. I will always be her rock to hold on to, thus Babarock.

My forum name (B2Tall) obviously refers to my love of peach ice cream.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

mine is my initals plus the gun i carry = aj's.40cal, may I ask why is your's localgirl... obvious from the fact ur a girl.. lol

I first started posting from a Treo 650 on THR many , many moons ago

In the US Army Feild Artillery it's OOSHA
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

hiwall is a 1885 winchester
    hiwall is what I wish we had at the border

11. I am a former enlisted submariner, when I finished my first term I left the navy, and went to college with the assistance of the Army National guard where I served as a medic. Then I was accepted to medical school and accepted a Navy commission as a doctor. In the Naval service former enlisteds who become officers are referred to as "Mustangs". Doc being a title for both physicians and medics comes first hence: Doc Mustang.

In the submarine community we use both "BZ" as well as something which was carried over from the navy diver community "Hoo-ya" (obviously descended from the Marines OO-rah!) which is not to be confused with the army's ubiquitous "Houah!" which serves as everything from "do you understand me?" to "screw you", as well as a cheer.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast