How many pocket knives is too many?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many pocket knives is too many?

How many pocket knives is too many?

I ask this question due to what I was told by HR. I was told that carrying 4 pocket knives was unusual and seen as a concern for a TOV(Threat of Violence). Being that they are pocket knives and I have 4 pockets I fail to see what the concern is. The four knives I had where all under the legal size limit for carry. All but one was 2.5 inches and the one that was not was 3.5 inches.

So I am curious to see if I am the only one who carries more then one pocket knife. As I explained they each had a purpose for me to carry them. One I use for food, one for cutting wire and the other two were spares . Cause someone will ask to borrow your knife and you don't want to give them your expensive knife so you hand them the $5 throw away knife you don't care about.

From a personal stand point I agree. But honesty I can see your company's perspective. My advice would be to comply with their wishes before they make it an issue which puts you on the radar and thus on the defense instead of just another quality employee. If something were to occure later that would call into question your intentions you would have little ground to stand on. Just my 2 cents...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Horkos View Post
    From a personal stand point I agree. But honesty I can see your company's perspective. My advice would be to comply with their wishes before they make it an issue which puts you on the radar and thus on the defense instead of just another quality employee. If something were to occure later that would call into question your intentions you would have little ground to stand on. Just my 2 cents...
    If out isn't against their policy, their official published policy, then they have no reason to even say anything to him about it.

Personally, I don't see the point of 4 knives but to each their own. I have always carried one, including throughout high school. You always need a good knife.

5. You're company's perspective is beyond retarded. I mean that in the harshest sense, as a defense against STUPIDITY itself. The idea that anyone could be MORE violent with 4 knives than a "normal" number of knives is a blatant abandonment of thought itself. Were you caught with a whirly-gig device that can somehow wield multiple blades to inflict extra violence? Or, more likely, are you a trusted employee that has no inclination to murder (with a whirly-gig device)? I live in Texas and very recently the law has changed to prevent employers from disarming employee's just because they must park in a particular place. So, I looked up my company policy... It was SO vague, that it probably doesn't need to change, BUT, it also said that the only restricted knives are "illegal" knives, and in Texas a folding knife 5.5 inches or less is LEGAL. You should contact a Knife Rights - Home, maybe you have a case.

Some (a lot of) companies won't even let you carry one of those 1 inch swiss army knives anymore. How did anyone find out you had that many? Really, I'd go looking for another job, because they're now looking for an excuse. Figure that your on the next downsizing list, no matter what.

I am kind of curious how you carrying 4 pocket knives came to the attention of management?

And personally I do not see the issue as a problem as you described the situation.

But in the age of the politically correct, I have known people to get fired over the wrong context of such issues. One instance which comes to mind was from a place where I was employed as an engineer. An employee jokingly said he would shoot a raccoon before work and bring raccoon stew to a company potluck function. A lady complained over the issue and he was hauled into the office and reprimanded for his comment. Management's issue was he didn't have a right to discuss anything concerning a firearm as such conversation put other employees in a "state of fear".

I carry at two as a minimum. I have a Victorinox Swiss Army Super Tinker Pocket Knife and a Kershaw Shallot 1840 that I always carry. There are times that I may add some or all of the following: Kershaw Leek 1660, a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD, a Gerber Gator®, a Leatherman Super Tool, and a Leatherman Squirt E4.

It all depends on where I am going and what I am planning on doing. If I am going somewhere that I cannot carry my firearm, but I can carry the a knife, then I'll load up on the knives, especially the Kershaws and the Gerber Gator. I think of it like I do conceal carry, if it is in your pocket (if the knife is legally concealable), then what they don't know won't hurt them. The Gator I carry on my belt in the pouch that came with it, the others are either in my pocket or clipped to the side of a pocket.

The Super Tool and the Squirt E4 are tools and cannot be (under normal circumstances) be used as a defensive weapon.

The biggest thing is can you justify the reasons for needed the knives that you carry. The one of the two main knives that I carry was frowned upon by the district manager at my work. He said that the Kershaw Shallot was not a knife that I needed to carry at work and it could only be used as a weapon. I showed how I could use it at work as a tool and I am allowed to carry it.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Lets see, I carry a Boker Top Lock automatic and a gerber tool on my belt and have one of the small Swiss Army pen knives on my key chain. Plus the flat tool in my wallet so I am also GUILTY of carrying 4 at a time!

10. The answer is simple.

Cut back to 2 knives (maybe even one knife and a multi-tool) and tell the moochers that want to borrow a blade that they need to tote their own.

I carry a CRKT ignitor and a Gerber tool & I don't loan out my tools
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast