Cop fired after helping fellow officers in distress - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cop fired after helping fellow officers in distress

ZERO Tolarence, Such a wonderful policy. (Sarcasm intended)
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cawpin View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's "policy"to assist other officers in distress. See, there's nothing difficult about this.
    It seems he wouldn't be in so much trouble if he had gone after a hot dog or two. After all, a man has to eat. As far as the LEOs getting shot....so what, let someone else worry about that. As for deserting his post, that is pure hogwash. I dare say that those students were in little, if any, danger. If this officer had called for assistance after being shot on campus, the local LEOs would have rendered assistance to him. This crap about being literal in interpretation of duties can go a little too far sometimes. Ask the two officers he helped if he did wrong. How many students were hurt in the short period he was gone? None, I daresay. Lord help us!

Was this ruling about "leaving his post" done by those theory-infested-gun-hating gung-hos from the university?
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

To me, it was a good firing for dereliction of duty.

The university does NOT have a problem with their officers assisting other law enforcement agencies. They DO have a problem when employees disappear for about an hour without telling anyone (the dispatcher) where they are at/going/reason.

Reading between the lines, I would be led to believe that he hasn't been where he WAS supposed to be on other occasions at Rice University, WITHOUT telling the dispatcher where he would be. This time just seemed to be the last straw.

I don't understand why so many of you on here want to make excuses for him. Think of it this way:

What IF someone in his family got into a very serious wreck and he needed to be at the hospital post haste with his hurt family. How would his family feel when they called his work requesting him to come to the hospital and Rice University had to tell his family that they did not have a clue on where he was at and seemed to have his radio turned off.

Nope, I have to side with those who say he deserted his post, which he DID do. He was gone for close to an hour and never told the dispatcher where he was at? And some of you think that is okay?

BAD employee. Seemed like he got so involved he forgot who he WAS working for. A boss (the company signing his paycheck) does not like that. In fact, he seems to have forgot he was working for Rice University, and was making decisions as if he was the boss.

Another question is: What was he doing listening to HPD radio calls on his scanner? His job was with Rice University.

It sounds like everything would have been fine, IF, IF, he had just told his supervisor what he was going to do.

Of course none of us know what really happened. But from what I read above, it was correct to fire him.

And remember, it is NOT about him helping other officers, it is about him leaving his post without permission.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    If you leave your post for any reason without authority/orders/policy, you HAVE abandoned your post!

He violated his departments rules.

Whats so hard about this concept?

-Doc
    I agree doc, couldn't be more simple

Quote Originally Posted by cawpin View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's "policy"to assist other officers in distress. See, there's nothing difficult about this.
    It seems obvious that it wasn't.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXI View Post
    So, if a Marine is standing guard, and a firefight erupts outside the gate, and a brother Marine goes down, is it dereliction of duty if said Marine leaves his guard post to assist? I highly doubt it. In fact, he(she) would probably be awarded for such activities.

Definition:
    has willfully refused to perform his duties (or follow a given order) or has incapacitated himself in such a way that he cannot perform his duties

Yeah, he left the "dangerous" confines of the campus, but it wasn't to get a hot dog. It was to possibly save the lives of two fellow officers. The University went beyond what should have been done.

That's my opinion. Yours might vary...
    If you leave your post without authority, you will be in hot water. You leave your post to get in the action just when an enemy approaches the spot you were SUPPOSED to be, and you aren't there.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    The university does NOT have a problem with their officers assisting other law enforcement agencies. They DO have a problem when employees disappear for about an hour without telling anyone (the dispatcher) where they are at/going/reason.

Reading between the lines, I would be led to believe that he hasn't been where he WAS supposed to be on other occasions at Rice University, WITHOUT telling the dispatcher where he would be. This time just seemed to be the last straw.

I don't understand why so many of you on here want to make excuses for him. Think of it this way:

What IF someone in his family got into a very serious wreck and he needed to be at the hospital post haste with his hurt family. How would his family feel when they called his work requesting him to come to the hospital and Rice University had to tell his family that they did not have a clue on where he was at and seemed to have his radio turned off.

Nope, I have to side with those who say he deserted his post, which he DID do. He was gone for close to an hour and never told the dispatcher where he was at? And some of you think that is okay?

BAD employee. Seemed like he got so involved he forgot who he WAS working for. A boss (the company signing his paycheck) does not like that. In fact, he seems to have forgot he was working for Rice University, and was making decisions as if he was the boss.

Another question is: What was he doing listening to HPD radio calls on his scanner? His job was with Rice University.

It sounds like everything would have been fine, IF, IF, he had just told his supervisor what he was going to do.

Of course none of us know what really happened. But from what I read above, it was correct to fire him.

And remember, it is NOT about him helping other officers, it is about him leaving his post without permission.

Ken
    Lots of Mall Nnijas here I am afraid.

-Doc

10. His failure was in notifying. Had he notified we wouldn't be having this conversation. Dispatch is there for a reason, use it. Yes he did the right think in helping the officers down, but he really should have radioed in. He could have done so while driving to the scene .

Sorry. His job is campus security. He left his post without permission and failed to even notify a superior of his decision to leave his area. If he had any LEO or military training in life, he would have known not conduct himself in this manner. Punishment too severe? Maybe, but he was employed by Rice to protect their property and people and it was their decision to make.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." T. Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast