Cop fired after helping fellow officers in distress - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cop fired after helping fellow officers in distress

Does anyone know where the greyhounds station was located to the school? A quick google maps search shows the closest station quite far away (at least 20 blocks)...anybody in the area know if maps is wrong and the station was closer?

In hind sight its easy to say what would of been best. But such is life and we must look back and decide. Unless there is a closer station, how did he get there faster than a police going lights and sirens? Campus security does not have that kind of driving.

The officers would not have died if he did not show up. I have to agree with the side that said he abandoned his post and shouldn't be listening to police frequencies for his chance at glory. He must of purposefully not radioed in, knowing they wouldn't let him go that far away.

All my opinions though, on a story half baked (like all news stories).

Too quick to discipline

having been an officer, I can see both sides of the issue. he was concerned about the safety of another officer, regardless of department. yes, he should have notified his supervisor, but I think the discipline is a little drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    He deserted his post! That is the issue!

-Doc
    Although he deserted his post. His supervisor should have taken this opportunity to counsel him and resolve it that way. What do you accomplish by firing him? Now have one less guard on duty until the university fills that position. How long will that take?

Quote Originally Posted by R_ACE1 View Post
    Although he deserted his post. His supervisor should have taken this opportunity to counsel him and resolve it that way. What do you accomplish by firing him? Now have one less guard on duty until the university fills that position. How long will that take?
    Probably not too long, considering the high unemployment rate. I do agree that he deserted his post and that he should not have been following the HPD radio calls. I also agree the discipline was too harsh (if a first offense).

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    What IF someone in his family got into a very serious wreck and he needed to be at the hospital post haste with his hurt family. How would his family feel when they called his work requesting him to come to the hospital and Rice University had to tell his family that they did not have a clue on where he was at and seemed to have his radio turned off.
    This is the phrase I have the most trouble with: What if...

What if an giant asteroid had broken out of orbit while he was away from his post, and crashed into the earth, destroying part of the campus. What if a tribe of african natives had escaped while on a bus tour and attacked a defenseless college coed with blow guns and spears. What if the IRA had decided that bombing northern Ireland wasn't enough and went after the administration building while he was assisting a fellow officer.

"What if" means absolutely nothing. We are all guilty of using it to butress our arguments (myself included). It is a waste of time trying to argue with a "What if" scenario. There are more of THEM than there are excuses.

No disrespect to the OP.

I agree with Lakelandman on disliking "what ifs"......the only what if that matters is, "what if your boss hires you to perform a specific task and you decide on your own to leave and do a different task"? If the boss is Rice University, you are fired....end of confusion

No disrespect to anyone, but I am a pretty firm believer in "what ifs".

Yes, basically that IS basically the reason LOTS of people have their jobs... because of "what ifs". Think about it. Why does Rice U have cops? Because of "what ifs". What if HPD could not afford to furnish cops for Rice U? So, Rice U got their own cops for "whatever" "what ifs" would ever happen on campus.

Fire stations are build because of "what ifs". What if there is a fire in this neighborhood?... and they build a fire station there in that neighborhood BECAUSE the odds are that a fire WILL happen in that neighborhood.

What if... some idiot decided to shoot up Rice U? Thus, they have DECIDED they NEED to have THREE cops on duty. He decided they only needed two it seems.

No, "what ifs and wonder ifs" are very important in our lives, "what ifs and wonder ifs" control a LARGE part of our lives.

Most businesses start that way, with a "what if". What if we build a (for example) super grocery store here, will there be enough people that shop there to make it a feasible thing to do they ask themselves. Then they do all their surveys and maybe within a year or so, there is the new store/business/whatever. All because of "what if".

Yet we have someone who says ""What if" means absolutely nothing." No disrespect, but because of "what ifs" is WHY they have cops, firemen, and on and on. "What if" you don't put anymore fuel in your vehicle... I will bet you that pretty soon it will NOT go anymore.

"What if" you don't pay your light, gas, whatever bill... well, pretty soon they shut them off.

Maybe no one else on this site ever has a "what if" in their life, but I find that my whole life revolves around them. "What if or If", they are both the same.

For the past 33 years "what ifs" have kept me in business and allowed me to give my employees a bonus every month.

"What if" I don't keep them happy? Hummm, wonder "if" they will go elsewhere?

For those of you who believe ""What if" means absolutely nothing.", just HOW do YOU make decisions in YOUR life? Just curious.

"What if" the RU cop doesn't let his boss know where he is at. Well, I guess he KNOWS that "what if" now, doesn't he?

Ken

1. He should have notified the dispatcher.

2. Unless he has prior disciplinary issues, termination was an extreme overreaction. As a former police administrator, I can say that (again, absent a disciplinary history) it would not stand an administrative law judge's hearing for justified termination.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    No disrespect to anyone, but I am a pretty firm believer in "what ifs".

Yes, basically that IS basically the reason LOTS of people have their jobs... because of "what ifs". Think about it. Why does Rice U have cops? Because of "what ifs". What if HPD could not afford to furnish cops for Rice U? So, Rice U got their own cops for "whatever" "what ifs" would ever happen on campus.

Fire stations are build because of "what ifs". What if there is a fire in this neighborhood?... and they build a fire station there in that neighborhood BECAUSE the odds are that a fire WILL happen in that neighborhood.

What if... some idiot decided to shoot up Rice U? Thus, they have DECIDED they NEED to have THREE cops on duty. He decided they only needed two it seems.

No, "what ifs and wonder ifs" are very important in our lives, "what ifs and wonder ifs" control a LARGE part of our lives.

Most businesses start that way, with a "what if". What if we build a (for example) super grocery store here, will there be enough people that shop there to make it a feasible thing to do they ask themselves. Then they do all their surveys and maybe within a year or so, there is the new store/business/whatever. All because of "what if".

Yet we have someone who says ""What if" means absolutely nothing." No disrespect, but because of "what ifs" is WHY they have cops, firemen, and on and on. "What if" you don't put anymore fuel in your vehicle... I will bet you that pretty soon it will NOT go anymore.

"What if" you don't pay your light, gas, whatever bill... well, pretty soon they shut them off.

Maybe no one else on this site ever has a "what if" in their life, but I find that my whole life revolves around them. "What if or If", they are both the same.

For the past 33 years "what ifs" have kept me in business and allowed me to give my employees a bonus every month.

"What if" I don't keep them happy? Hummm, wonder "if" they will go elsewhere?

For those of you who believe ""What if" means absolutely nothing.", just HOW do YOU make decisions in YOUR life? Just curious.

"What if" the RU cop doesn't let his boss know where he is at. Well, I guess he KNOWS that "what if" now, doesn't he?

Ken
    I see your point, but I respectfully disagree, sir.

He may have in fact have went against the rules and or regulations that he worked under and left his post without permission or authorty to do so and therfore caused a problem for his supervisor or the school as per their regulations. As a former supervisor I would not have any problem with his actions when another Officers life may be in danger. I would have a problem when he did not let anyone know where he was for the WHOLE HOUR. This is not reasonable in any form and I could see some type of disiplinary action but not to the extent of termination.
    Bill
    Last edited by sgtbill; 06-10-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123