Texas Solution to Welfare - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Solution to Welfare

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    This could apply to all states!

All I can say is, "AMEN!" and God Bless Texas!

This was in the Waco Tribune Herald, Waco , TX

Put me in charge . . .

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for
    Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans,
    blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want
    steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to get women
    Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then, we'll test
    recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine and document all tattoos and
    piercings. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke or get
    tats and piercings, then get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a military barracks?
    You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of repair. Your
    "home" will be subject to inspections anytime and possessions will be
    inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360, then get a job and your
    own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or
    you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the roadways of
    trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We
    will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo
    and speakers and put that money toward the “common good.”

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights, realize that all of
    the above is voluntary. If you want our money, accept our rules.. Before
    you say that this would be "demeaning" and ruin their "self esteem,"
    consider that it wasn't that long ago that taking someone else's money for
    doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self esteem.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we should at least
    attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The current system
    rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.

AND While you are on Gov’t subsistence, you no longer can VOTE! Yes that is
    correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest. You will
    voluntarily remove yourself from voting while you are receiving a Gov’t
    welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job.
    Yeah baby, now you're talking.

Clean graffiti, sweep the streets, paint city hall, clean and maintain the parks, etc. And if your juvenile kids are caught at a drug location, intoxicated, running loose in the middle of the night or in possession of drugs you lose your ride.

If you're here illegally you get deported. If you're ever caught here illegally again you serve ten years.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

OK Bob, here is your answer:
    According to the Texas solution you would be given food, housing and work until you can find a job.

Gotta love you all Texans!!!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Yeah, but OldGrunt says I shouldn't be able to vote while I'm out of work, even though my job loss isn't my fault, and even though I have no control over getting hired. Many companies are even refusing to even consider those of us who have been out of work for more than six months. Kinda hard to get a job under those conditions, you know. What happens then?

Just a reality check here.

Bob,
    I feel your pain. I walked down that road in 1991, and it was a bad neighborhood. After battling age discrimination and temporary jobs, my second business took off. You will bounce back even if you have to become self employed.
    You must admit that those that receive a check from Uncle Sam are bias toward voting for the one that promises to fatten that check. So you can see the dilemma as far as voting goes. There may not be a solution, but there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    Yeah, but OldGrunt says I shouldn't be able to vote while I'm out of work, even though my job loss isn't my fault, and even though I have no control over getting hired. Many companies are even refusing to even consider those of us who have been out of work for more than six months. Kinda hard to get a job under those conditions, you know. What happens then?

Just a reality check here.
    Bob, I think the Texas letter was referring to the professional welfare recipients who make no effort to find a job. There is a difference you know. You stated that you are a full time RVing family. How can you expect to travel full time and hold a job? I know when I traveled in my motor home it was expensive and there was no way I could travel and hold down a full time job. I think you are astute enough to know who the Texas letter was referring to.

When we hit the road, $36,000 a year in expenses went away. That's one way to live cheaply. No more mortgage, property taxes, or utilities. I'm working part-time gigs here and there that wouldn't have provided enough for my family when we lived in a sticks house. Feel free to hit my blog for posts on the FTRV life.

So back to the original question. Would my wife be able to vote if I were receiving federal assistance? Why, or why not? Not her fault I was laid off. Hell, it's not MY fault I got laid off. If you're going to muck about with civil rights like that, you better make damn certain you can justify it.

One of my sons was born with a cleft lip. Ohio has a state bureau that sets up supplemental Medicaid coverage so that no child with a cleft will be in a situation where they can't afford surgery. Would something like that preclude me or my wife from voting?

The point I'm trying to make here is that even though this is a gun forum, there are lots of anti-gun folks who read stuff like what you posted here, and it reinforces the knuckle-dragging redneck image that many anti-gunners push, and that many of us pro-rights folks try so damned hard to fight. Quit mucking it up for the rest of it. In my mind, posts like this are just as bad as the morons who carry CCW badges.
    Last edited by cmhbob; 08-08-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Wondering why "hell" isn't censored, but a word that can be a proper name is.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

As long as we stay pro abortion though this I don't see an issue! Think how many people would be leaching the system if it was illegal?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12