Men are not men. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Men are not men.

Quote Originally Posted by drewthegunut View Post
    no. you got it wrong buddy. hollywood is where the women are women and so are the men....
    No, your wrong. It's the U.S. Congress where the women are women & so are the men.
    ~ Truth Is Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Hollywood, California, where men are men & so are the women.
    I met a woman in Hollywood once that was passing out flyers to her new show. She was in a pink dress, purple boa and black high heels. Her name was Tina and she was a big, muscular girl! Now if it wasn't for that nasty glandular condition...poor girl had what looked like an Adam's Apple, but I guess that won't show on stage.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

hahahahahaha!!! that's a good one man. i'm gonna have to use that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    No, your wrong. It's the U.S. Congress where the women are women & so are the men.

Quote Originally Posted by pafindr View Post
    A renaissance man and a jack of all trades are almost the same thing.
    Leonardo da Vinci was a Renaissance man. He was an inventor, painter, philosopher, poet, architect, engineer and did them all very well.
    A Renaissance man has in-depth knowledge of multiple things. While a Jack of all trades can dabble in a variety of things but is master of none.

Myself, I can fix my own vehicles, clean my own house, cook (I've worked in a few restaurants), sew (I use to make sails for sailboats and now can sew most anything), I'm an artist, scuba diver, used to work with horses, photography, and a few other things. I'm nowhere close to Leonardo da Vinci but I hold my own.
    pafindr,

When the SHTF, can I come to your place? Together we'll be an unstoppable brain trust!
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

My wife would agree. Although she sees me as 18 with 35 years experience she recently got a look at a different side of me. She's been recuperating from a bad auto accident and multiple surgeries. I cooked (poorly), cleaned, did all the housework and even cut her steak (she was in a cast). I did it because I wanted to. She deserved everything I had to do. 29 years married this November.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    My wife would agree. Although she sees me as 18 with 35 years experience she recently got a look at a different side of me. She's been recuperating from a bad auto accident and multiple surgeries. I cooked (poorly), cleaned, did all the housework and even cut her steak (she was in a cast). I did it because I wanted to. She deserved everything I had to do. 29 years married this November.
    That's what being a man is all about. And congrats on the 29 years.
    ~ Truth Is Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth ~

Real men aren't influenced by "What Real Men Should Do" drivel.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Ok. Knowing self-reliance skills is great. Being able to fix a car, raise chickens, reload, bowhunt, build a home, these are all important. But they alone do not define manhood. I know plenty of people who are quite self-reliant but who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. Manhood comes with true commitment to your family, and being both responsible and accountable for that commitment. This is what boys especially will learn from, in order to become real men. Learning the skills of self-confidence reliance are only the vehicles to get you there. One of my sons recently asked me how old he has to be before he will be a man. I told him, when you can put the needs of those you love ahead of your own personal wants, then you will be a man. And sadly, most males of our species never learn that lesson, preferring to waste precious years in front of a bigscreen TV watching sports and drinking beer. 'Nuff said for now.

Seems to me if we want to see more and better men in society, then we must be men, teach men to be men, and lead as men by setting an example. That does not mean swagger and bluster and putting others in their place (become a caricature). Do we want recognition as men or do we want to be men? And, quite frankly, not only is that nostalgic women as "nest builder" crap not going to fly with most women these days, but it does nothing for our "manliness" to suggest that the "little lady" should be sitting on the nest at home.

There are elements that make a man a man - one may hate the word, but compassion needs to be part of being a man. Men lead to make things better; they care about more than the status of men. Unless we see ourselves as no different than the alpha males of the non-human primate world, then we have to have a conscience. Commitment is another - we need to be dedicated to making a better world, willing to work, see it as our lot in life.

Respect does not simply follow from having external genitalia or not caring about how we look or smell - it is earned. To do so men must be competent - we cannot pretend to be capable, tell people how capable we are and demand it be handed to us; we must work to be capable and demonstrate our competence. We must be resilient, must be willing to take the hard knocks and stand up for more. When men act (men are active) with compassion, competence, and commitment, we set an example and make a difference.

Anyway, have at it...since I did not suggest that the essence of a real man was to hit the streets at high noon with his six-shooter and earn respect by demanding it, I likely struck some sensitive nerves...

11. Everyone has their own take on "what makes a male a Man?" Some think its drinkin with their buddys and having promiscuous sex. Others think its knowing 101 useless facts about you favorite sport team(s). Some think its fighting another man like a Roman Gladiator (only w/o weapons). Or maybe even being the best at some video game. The best Non-Man image is this liar, thief and violent thugs idea.

To me, a man is a idea of; Putting First and For most raising and molding a family to be trusting, honest, hard working humans. Not to be ******* and victims. Knowing how to fend for themselves and survive, by not depending on others but to work with them. Teaching their sons how to fix the house, cook his own food, clean up after himself, defend himself and his loved ones, how to look for and treat woman with respect. Teach their daughters how protect themselves, what kind of quality man is in her best interest, how to care for family and be good mothers.
    For him to lead his family and friends into a noble, EDUCATED, and strong bond in life, family, and religion.

If he has no wife and kid(s); a man would be one that does this for his immediate family and even friends.

A man is not greedy, evil, and violent(minus self defense).

That, my friends, is A Man 2.0 in my mind

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast