Shooting ones self to gather experience...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting ones self to gather experience...

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

Shooting ones self to gather experience...

OK, to save embarrasement I copied the quote below without the authors name or where I found it, could have been from any of the three gun related forums I visit. I have a question afterwards. The quote is this from a posting where the author discusses shooting without ear protection:

Begin quote: "I have purposefully shot a few magazines during a session only a couple times to remind myself of how loud it really is. Should I plan on doing it more often? Or is it not worth the damage to my ears, and I will be able to handle the noise if the time ever curses me?" -end quote.

Yeah, ok, I know but...

I was thinking about the idea the post presented. Could it be usefull to shoot myself, say a shoulder shot or maybe in the leg, a time or two now and then just so that if it ever happens for real I'd know what it feels like and can handle the pain better if ever shot during a gun fight?
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Try it, and let us know how it comes out.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post

+1. And remember Rule #4.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Fine. I guess you don't care. Fine.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Been stabbed in the leg with a pencil. I didn't like it so I think I'll skip getting shot for training purposes.

If you're really serious about it you should let someone else do it so you'd get more of the real effect.

YMOS,
    Tony
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt May 13, 1903

Haha! I hope you're joking. You never know where it's going to go or what it's going to destroy once it breaks skin.

One man who got shot described the sensation as "exactly like being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer." I wish I could cite the quote, but it's been probably 15-20 years since I read it. It stuck with me, obviously.

While I've never been shot - I've been shot AT. Bullets make a most peculiar sound when passing by...it's almost like a hiss or crackle. I can't quite describe it, but I'll never forget it.

Your friend brings up a good point - it probably IS a good idea, once in a while, to take out the earplugs and squeeze off a few rounds; no more than like a magazine or cylinder worth, and definitely NOT in an indoor range. Likewise, it's a good idea to get in some shooting in low light and darkness. And practice shooting with the "weak" hand as well. (I just recently started doing that. The difference is STARTLING. I'll definitely be doing that more.) It can also be beneficial to take an UNLOADED or Blue Gun and practice un-holstering with the weak hand as well.

Train for the unexpected. And don't shoot yourself.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

8. Why bother trying to hide the OP? It's on the home page haha

Never know unless you try. Please video-tape for us.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    Actually, I know a couple of people that I would never tell that to. If I did, I'd have a video of it in my mailbox the next day.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

11. I really hope you kidding around. I have had several self inflected wound, No found memories. Have at it, moron, shoot yourself in the knee cap with a 45 and let us know how it felt. why would you even start such a stupid topic? Smash you hand with a sledge hammer and report back, moron.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast