Ever wonder why railroad tracks have such odd spacing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever wonder why railroad tracks have such odd spacing?

The story of the railroad gauges was around long before Al Gore invented the internet and snopes is not the endall on facts.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Interesting info here and even mentions Snopes. It seems that the 1/2 inch is for turning curves.

Standard gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Anyone who likes this kind of stuff should check out the BBC series "Connections" (and the sequels) hosted by James Burke. Every once in a while they'll show up on BBC America, Discovery, etc.
    I would love to own the DVD of that series. It was a fascinating show.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    There are many things that we wonder "who came up with that stupid figure or whatever" and usually no one knows the actual reason For instand why the 74 minute length of a CD recording (To hold Beethoven's 9th) or who was Murphy of Murphy's law. (He was a real person who died in 1990).

The rail gauge may have its roots in ancient Rome but there is probably a little more to it. Maybe someone can tell me why we have a .410 gauge shotgun instead of something that makes sense.
    The .410 "gauge" shot shell is an American invention. Not a true "gauge", but rather a "caliber". This shot shell was designed to be fired from a .45 cal barrel. The diameter of the shot shell needed to be reduced from .45 inches to .410 inches to accommodate the hull of the shot shell.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

6. [/QUOTE]
    Would someone please explain to this latest horse's ass what OFF TOPIC means.[/QUOTE]

Im tired of some of the horses asses around here. Im done.

snopes.com reads like a spin doctor protecting some idiot politican's position that nobody gives a rats a__ about.

wikipedia has crediability
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

It doesn't really matter if it's true or not, so long as you aren't using it to defend a thesis or something. It's a cute story. And it does remind me of "Connections," which I adore.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    snopes.com reads like a spin doctor protecting some idiot politican's position that nobody gives a rats a__ about.

wikipedia has crediability
    Wait: a site that's been around for 16 years, and has won awards for its writing and reporting has more credibility with you than a site that anyone with an internet connection can edit? Woooooooow. You do realize that there's no requirement for credentials or expertise or anything on Wikipedia, right? Anyone can edit any article to say anything they like. See this link for more information: wikipedia credibility - Google Search

snopes.com: Frequently Asked Questions

snopes.com: About the people behind snopes.com

And just for giggles, here's the Wiki article about Snopes, since Wiki has so much credibility in your eyes: Snopes.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Funny story indeed. Thank you for sharing it! It's kinda fun to find the various threads of interconnectedness that exist without us even knowing about them.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The .410 "gauge" shot shell is an American invention. Not a true "gauge", but rather a "caliber". This shot shell was designed to be fired from a .45 cal barrel. The diameter of the shot shell needed to be reduced from .45 inches to .410 inches to accommodate the hull of the shot shell.
    Cool stuff. I'm gunna hit google now and find out how a .357 caliber bullet came to be known as a "thirty eight"...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast