Green tea, sure. How about this Hibiscus tea?

Thread: Green tea, sure. How about this Hibiscus tea?

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

Green tea, sure. How about this Hibiscus tea?

Copied and pasted from a health nut/online know-it-all site:

Medical studies

A study published in the Journal of Human Hypertension has shown that drinking hibiscus tea can reduce high blood pressure in people with type 2 diabetes. The study results showed the average systolic blood pressure for those drinking hibiscus tea decreased from 134.8 mmHg (17.97 kPa) at the beginning of the study to 112.7 mmHg (15.03 kPa) at the end of the study, one month later.[5]

A study of 65 subjects published in 2009 found that 3 cups of hibiscus tea daily for 6 weeks reduced systolic blood pressure by 7 mm Hg in prehypertensive and mildly hypertensive participants. In those with mean systolic blood pressure over 129 mm Hg, the reduction was nearly 14 mm Hg. The study's lead author has noted that hibiscus flowers contain anthocyanins, which are believed to be the active antihypertensive compounds, acting as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors.[6][7][8]

A study published in 2007 compared Hibiscus sabdariffa L. to the drug lisinopril on people with hypertension. Hibiscus "decreased blood pressure (BP) from 146.48/97.77 to 129.89/85.96 mmHg, reaching an absolute reduction of 17.14/11.97 mmHg (11.58/12.21%, p < 0.05)." Blood pressure "reductions and therapeutic effectiveness were lower than those obtained with lisinopril (p < 0.05)." The authors concluded that hibiscus "exerted important antihypertensive effectiveness with a wide margin of tolerability and safety, while it also significantly reduced plasma ACE activity and demonstrated a tendency to reduce serum sodium (Na) concentrations without modifying potassium (K) levels." They attributed the blood pressure reducing effect of hibiscus to its diuretic effect and its ability to inhibit the angiotensin-converting enzyme through the presence of anthocyanins.[9]

A 2004 study compared the effectiveness of hibiscus to the ACE-inhibiting drug captopril. The authors found that the "obtained data confirm that the H. sabdariffa extract, standardized on 9.6mg of total anthocyanins, and captopril 50 mg/day, did not show significant differences relative to hypotensive effect, antihypertensive effectiveness, and tolerability."[10]

[edit] References

1.^ Swanson, Heidi (2005-06-06). "The Jamaica Flower Iced Tea Recipe". 101 Cookbooks. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
    2.^ Duke, James (1983). "Hibiscus sabdariffa L.". Purdue University Center for New Crops and Plants Products. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
    3.^ a b Feeney, John (September/October 2001). "The Red Tea of Egypt". Saudi Aramco World (Saudi Aramco). Retrieved 2008-06-01.
    4.^ Recipe at Congocookbook.com Retrieved on 05-23-07.
    5.^ "The effects of sour tea (Hibiscus sabdariffa) on hypertension in patients with type II diabetes". 7 August 2008.
    6.^ "Hibiscus sabdariffa L. tea (tisane) lowers blood pressure in prehypertensive and mildly hypertensive adult". 16 December 2009.
    7.^ "AHA 2008: Hibiscus Tea Reduces Blood Pressure". 11 November 2008.
    8.^ "Hibiscus Tea Lowers Blood Pressure". 19 November 2008.
    9.^ Herrera-Arellano A, Miranda-Sánchez J, Avila-Castro P, et al. (January 2007). "Clinical effects produced by a standardized herbal medicinal product of Hibiscus sabdariffa on patients with hypertension. A randomized, double-blind, lisinopril-controlled clinical trial". Planta Med. 73 (1): 6–12. doi:10.1055/s-2006-957065. PMID 17315307.
    10.^ Herrera-Arellano A, Flores-Romero S, Chávez-Soto MA, Tortoriello J (July 2004). "Effectiveness and tolerability of a standardized extract from Hibiscus sabdariffa in patients with mild to moderate hypertension: a controlled and randomized clinical trial". Phytomedicine 11 (5): 375–82. doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2004.04.001. PMID 15330492.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I'll stick with creatine monohydrate.

The red and the green would be quite festive for the upcoming holidays. This is one of the times when blood pressures do tend to elevate. (Now that I think about it, EVERY day that Obummer is on TV elevates the pressures much more than the shopping season.) Maybe a hibiscus tea summit at the White House would be better than the President's tee summits on the golf course.

BTW....I would like to know more about Heidi and her Jamaica Flower tea.>>> 1.^ Swanson, Heidi (2005-06-06). "The Jamaica Flower Iced Tea Recipe". 101 Cookbooks. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
    Happily clinging to God and my guns...not at all bitter.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I'll stick with creatine monohydrate.
    Ok. so, uh, thanx, I guess?
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Ok. so, uh, thanx, I guess?
    You're wellcome.

Bodybuilding.com - Creatine Articles!