Death Penalty - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death Penalty

Not a big fan of death penalty myself - just too many cases where people turned out to be innocent after all. You can compensate somebody who has been in jail for that (at least with money) but you can't make a dead guy alive again. Looking at the current legal system I doubt there's much chance of making it idiot proof.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Not a big fan of death penalty myself - just too many cases where people turned out to be innocent after all. You can compensate somebody who has been in jail for that (at least with money) but you can't make a dead guy alive again. Looking at the current legal system I doubt there's much chance of making it idiot proof.
    Actually, there's never been a single documented case in this country of somebody being proven innocent after they've been executed.....at least not in modern times, although that doesn't make me doubt that it has happened. I'm sure it has.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Actually, there's never been a single documented case in this country of somebody being proven innocent after they've been executed.....at least not in modern times, although that doesn't make me doubt that it has happened. I'm sure it has.
    There has also never been a case where the death penalty was sucessfully carried out and the convicted person committed another crime. As such capital punishment is the only 100% certain way of preventing recidivism.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    There has also never been a case where the death penalty was sucessfully carried out and the convicted person committed another crime. As such capital punishment is the only 100% certain way of preventing recidivism.
    True. No one is arguing that. But what about the risk of executing an innocent person? Are you willing to accept that risk?

Before you answer, consider some of the causes of innocent people being convicted of crimes, and landing on death row. It can happen to you.

The Innocence Project - Understand the Causes

False Justice Eight Myths that Convict the Innocent
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    There's also never been a case where the executed person was successfully brought back to life. As such capital punishment is risky when combined with a significant number of flawed convictions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12