Exotic animals in Ohio - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exotic animals in Ohio

I know 357 mag is considered min .for backup carry for Black Bears. But so many ppl say a .40 or 9mm wouldn't even penetrate? Just wondering what he used. I wouldn't want a bear charging me. I also hear stories of a bear charging and killing the Hunter after he let loose with shots from a rife. I don't want to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    I know 357 mag is considered min .for backup carry for Black Bears. But so many ppl say a .40 or 9mm wouldn't even penetrate? Just wondering what he used. I wouldn't want a bear charging me. I also hear stories of a bear charging and killing the Hunter after he let loose with shots from a rife. I don't want to find out.
    Might run into issues with the 9mm especially if it's HP ammo. The .357 mag and .40 S&W OTOH should penetrate the softer areas like the neck and through the mouth.

I've seen a few cases where shots went through the roof of a Grizzly Bear's mouth, and into the brain, a case where a .40 S&W snapped the neck of a Black Bear, and another case where a .40 S&W penetrated a Grizzly Bear's neck and roof of the mouth.

In a true "life or death" situation, once the lead starts flying, keep shooting until the threat stops or you run out of ammo!
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Yeah. Just musta been a good shot. It was a one shot kill per the Officer on the news with his service pistol.

Ohio LE carries a variety of sidearms. There is no standard, not even a defacto standard.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Really? So he could have had a cannon??

Really? So he could have had a cannon??
    Kaboom!Yeah ..that'll will do it...LOL
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    Ohio LE carries a variety of sidearms. There is no standard, not even a defacto standard.
    Yeah. Just musta been a good shot. It was a one shot kill per the Officer on the news with his service pistol.
    Makes me wonder if he carries a .44 mag or .454 Casull. :-)
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123