What does OP mean? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: What does OP mean?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    Practice changing degrees Celsius into degrees Fahrenheit in your mind. Then when you are up and about again and see a temperature given in Celsius on one of those roadside Time/Temperature signs you can do the math in your head in about ten or fifteen seconds and say to yourself, ah, the real temperature is xx degrees.

    It is as simple as ADD (or double), SUBTRACT (10%), ADD (32) = Answer.

    Or: ADD, ADD, SUBTRACT = Answer.

    20C= 20 + 20 = 40 - 4(10%, remember) = 36 + 32 = 68F

    21C= 21 + 21 = 42 - 4.2 = 37.8 + 32 = 69.8F

    25C= 25 +25 = 50 - 5 = 45 + 32 = 77F

    0C= 0 + 0 = 0 - 0 + 32 = 32F

    100C= 100 + 100 = 200 - 20 = 180 + 32 = 212F

    You may be able to do the subtracting second instead of first, that would look like 100C= 100+100=200+32=232-20=212F. It all depends on how you work with numbers in your mind and move them around. For the example using 33C, I add 33 and 33 and 32 getting 98 and then I subtract 7 (easier than subtracting 6.6 in my mind) getting 91 and THEN adding the .4 back onto the answer, getting the 91.4F.

    20C= 20+20+32-4=68F
    40C= 40+40+32-8=104F
    33C= 33+33+32-6.6=91.4F

    And, you can do it the other way too, but not quite as easy... in your mind of course, no pen and paper while driving down the street. LOL

    I just can't seem to do the way the books show of taking the C x 9 / 5 + 32 = F.

    Now you will have something else to keep you busy. :)

    And once you learn how to do that easily, someone will say something like "It was 45C today" and you do the 90 122 - 9 and say "oh, it got up to 113 degrees out huh?" as fast as you just read that and they will look at you kind of strange, like you are really smart. USUALLY what you hear said will be "How did you do that so fast?"

    Enjoy,

    Ken
    IS there going to be a test on this?
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Salem, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    IS there going to be a test on this?
    YOU are the one who will have to decide on the answer to that. Some people are happy with the "Hum, 45C, wonder how hot that is?" and drive on down the road. It only takes a couple minutes to learn how to do it in their head for those who are able to do it. Others can't learn how to do it, their mind isn't setup that way, they aren't able to move numbers around in their mind. For those that can, they enjoy doing small quick things like that.

    It is like...ummm, most people like sucking on a straw when they have a milkshake. I can't do that, it gives me a headache, so I drink it instead. Everybody is different, a lot of them just a little bit different, and some a LOT different.

    AND, I have always enjoyed learning something new, everyday.

    Ken

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    Practice changing degrees Celsius into degrees Fahrenheit in your mind. Then when you are up and about again and see a temperature given in Celsius on one of those roadside Time/Temperature signs you can do the math in your head in about ten or fifteen seconds and say to yourself, ah, the real temperature is xx degrees.

    It is as simple as ADD (or double), SUBTRACT (10%), ADD (32) = Answer.

    Or: ADD, ADD, SUBTRACT = Answer.

    20C= 20 + 20 = 40 - 4(10%, remember) = 36 + 32 = 68F

    21C= 21 + 21 = 42 - 4.2 = 37.8 + 32 = 69.8F

    25C= 25 +25 = 50 - 5 = 45 + 32 = 77F

    0C= 0 + 0 = 0 - 0 + 32 = 32F

    100C= 100 + 100 = 200 - 20 = 180 + 32 = 212F

    You may be able to do the subtracting second instead of first, that would look like 100C= 100+100=200+32=232-20=212F. It all depends on how you work with numbers in your mind and move them around. For the example using 33C, I add 33 and 33 and 32 getting 98 and then I subtract 7 (easier than subtracting 6.6 in my mind) getting 91 and THEN adding the .4 back onto the answer, getting the 91.4F.

    20C= 20+20+32-4=68F
    40C= 40+40+32-8=104F
    33C= 33+33+32-6.6=91.4F

    And, you can do it the other way too, but not quite as easy... in your mind of course, no pen and paper while driving down the street. LOL

    I just can't seem to do the way the books show of taking the C x 9 / 5 + 32 = F.

    Now you will have something else to keep you busy. :)

    And once you learn how to do that easily, someone will say something like "It was 45C today" and you do the 90 122 - 9 and say "oh, it got up to 113 degrees out huh?" as fast as you just read that and they will look at you kind of strange, like you are really smart. USUALLY what you hear said will be "How did you do that so fast?"

    Enjoy,

    Ken
    Thanks for the suggestion, Ken...Learning cooking from scratch, I think I am pretty good at temperature. I also came from Australia where we use C instead of F. And my stove over there in Oz is in gas as opposed to my stove here which is electric. One day I will be able master all of these brain exercises...LOL
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    YOU are the one who will have to decide on the answer to that. Some people are happy with the "Hum, 45C, wonder how hot that is?" and drive on down the road. It only takes a couple minutes to learn how to do it in their head for those who are able to do it. Others can't learn how to do it, their mind isn't setup that way, they aren't able to move numbers around in their mind. For those that can, they enjoy doing small quick things like that.

    It is like...ummm, most people like sucking on a straw when they have a milkshake. I can't do that, it gives me a headache, so I drink it instead. Everybody is different, a lot of them just a little bit different, and some a LOT different.

    AND, I have always enjoyed learning something new, everyday.

    Ken
    You reminded of a game we used to play with beer -- sucking it with a straw! Man! That was awful!!! LOL
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

  6. I have never been able to remember the equation for this. I think you've just cured me-thanks.

    Like everything else in life there will be a test-usually when you least expect it.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Salem, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Ken...Learning cooking from scratch, I think I am pretty good at temperature. I also came from Australia where we use C instead of F. And my stove over there in Oz is in gas as opposed to my stove here which is electric. One day I will be able master all of these brain exercises...LOL
    I have cooked on gas twice... and loved it. I too have had electric for the past 45 years except for about three months in 1996 and would much rather have gas.

    Three months? Well, yeah... I got married and found out some women are NOT nice... marriage lasted six months. I should have taken that $2,100 Thermador gas stove I had bought her when I left.

    Do you have K (Kelvins do not have a symbol with them) and R figured out too? LOL

    Ah, another number fun thing to try. Any number ending in (1/2)when multiplied by itself will end in (1/4). So, we can forget about the fraction because it will always be .25 or 25 if it ends in 5.

    2.5x2.5=6.25 To do that in your head, take the integer x the NEXT HIGHER integer and ADD the .25 to it.

    2.5x2.5=2x3=6+.25

    25x25= 2x3+25 = 625

    3.5 x 3.5 = 3x4+.25 = 12.25

    55 + 55 = 3025

    4.5x4.5=20.25

    75x75= 7x8=56+25 5625

    245*245=240*250=60000+25=60025 because 24x25+25=600.25

    Glad I don't drink coffee, it would probably cause a brain overload. LOL And how do I do 24x25 in my head? 2x25=50, thus 20x25=500 + 4x25=100, 500+100=600+.25 600.25.

    Fun stuff,

    Ken

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Salem, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I have never been able to remember the equation for this. I think you've just cured me-thanks.

    Like everything else in life there will be a test-usually when you least expect it.
    Yeah, the double the C number and add 32 to it and subtract 10% of the doubled C number really makes it easy to do in a persons head. 50C 100 132 122F. What does that take, 4 or 5 seconds to do it in your head? LOL

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks for the info but now my brain hurts........Someone say coffee?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast