7-year-old brings loaded guns to school

Thread: 7-year-old brings loaded guns to school

7-year-old brings loaded guns to school

This was exactly my argument I had with a co-worker when she said "I won't ever have a gun in my house so why do I need to teach my daughter about them?" This story falls right in line with what I told her. "Can you guarantee that every family member house, friends house, park, school, ect your daughter visits will be free of guns? If not wouldn't you want you child to know the proper way to react if she ran across one?" I knew at a young age the difference between a real gun and a toy. If I had any doubts it was treated like a real gun. Once again just goes back to parenting!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/01/...uns/index.html

CNN) -- A 7-year-old first-grader showed up at school Monday with two loaded handguns, Baltimore County, Maryland, police told CNN Tuesday.

One of the guns was discovered about 10:15 a.m. when it fell out of the student's pocket at Randallstown Elementary School, just outside of Baltimore, police said. The teacher immediately took the student to the office and police were called.

After police arrived, they searched the child's locker and found another loaded handgun in a book bag, Baltimore Police Cpl. Mike Hill said.

He said police believe the 7-year-old stayed at an uncle's house in Baltimore over the weekend, and found the guns there. Police believe he thought they were toys, he said.

"We don't believe the child had any idea that he still had the guns or do we believe he had any intentions to use the guns in a harmful way," Hill told CNN in a phone interview. Police believe the child got onto the school bus with both guns in his book bag and later discovered the weapons while he was at school.

Police would not comment on what kind of guns they were.

No charges will be filed against the 7-year-old, Hill said, but the uncle could face charges of child endangerment and leaving guns within reach of a child.

School officials called it a very unusual occurrence and would not comment on the status of the first-grader. Bringing a weapon to school carries a mandatory punishment of expulsion, according to Baltimore County Public Schools policy
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Good thing they have no tolerance policies at gun free schools!!!!
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

I wonder why the uncle left guns where the neice could get to them? Not smart.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Well said Kimber about teaching kids about guns. I would have had no doubt at the age of seven whether a gun was real or a toy. Although, I could have easily had access to one at that age I was taught better. I was allowed to look at, hold, shoot them but only under supervision. Therefore, the gun curiosity was removed. I guess there aren't many parents like mine left. :icon_sad:
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidM View Post
    Well said Kimber about teaching kids about guns. I would have had no doubt at the age of seven whether a gun was real or a toy. Although, I could have easily had access to one at that age I was taught better. I was allowed to look at, hold, shoot them but only under supervision. Therefore, the gun curiosity was removed. I guess there aren't many parents like mine left. :icon_sad:
    Same here. My dad stored his guns in cases in his closet. I could have got into them but had no desire to. I knew I'd get my butt kicked first off. Second I was tought what the were, what they were used for, how to handle them, and to respect them.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

yeah it really sounds like a lack of education issue to me... that is unfortunate.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

education

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    yeah it really sounds like a lack of education issue to me... that is unfortunate.
    That and a lack of supervison.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Luckily it was caught before the kid decided to play cops and robbers at recess. That could have turned out very bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

10. I agree HK lack of supervision. This could have turned out very bad. Thanks KimberPB I guess some of my talks did sink in.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberRB View Post
    I agree HK lack of supervision. This could have turned out very bad. Thanks KimberPB I guess some of my talks did sink in.

Ya one or two ......
    - Benjamin Franklin