Now You Know The Rest Of The Story...

Thread: Now You Know The Rest Of The Story...

Now You Know The Rest Of The Story...

I tried to look for this story here and I came up with nothing so here it comes...

Let me tell you, Jesse hated this job. And you would too, I imagine, if you had to do it.

Jesse was a Chicken Plucker. That's right. A Chicken Plucker!

He stood on a line in a chicken factory and spent his days pulling the feathers off dead chickens so the rest of us wouldn't have to. It wasn't much of a job. But at the time, Jesse didn't think he was much of a person. His father was a brute of a man. His dad was actually thought to be mentally ill and treated Jesse rough all of his life. Jesse's older brother wasn't much better. He was always picking on Jesse and beating him up. Yes, Jesse grew up in a very rough home in West Virginia .

Life was anything but easy. And he thought life didn't hold much hope for him. That's why he was standing in this chicken line, doing a job that darn few people wanted.

In addition to all the rough treatment at home, it seems that Jesse was always sick. Sometimes it was real physical illness, but way too often it was all in his head. He was a small child, skinny and meek. That sure didn't help the situation any.

When he started to school, he was the object of every bully on the playground. He was a hypochondriac of the first order. For Jesse, tomorrow was not always something to be looked forward to. But, he had dreams. He wanted to be a ventriloquist. He found books on ventriloquism. He practiced with sock puppets and saved his hard earned dollars until he could get a real ventriloquist dummy.

When he got old enough, he joined the U.S. Army. And even though many of his hypochondriac symptoms persisted, the Army did recognize his talents and put him in the Entertainment Corp. He served from 1943 to 1946. During the enlistment, his world changed. He gained confidence. He found that he had a talent for making people laugh, and laugh so hard they often had tears in their eyes. Yes, little Jesse had found himself.

You know, folks, the history books are full of people who overcame a handicap to go on and make a success of themselves, but Jesse is one of the few I know of who didn't overcome it. Instead he used his paranoia to make a million dollars, and become one of the best-loved characters of all time in doing it! Yes, that little paranoid hypochondriac, who transferred his nervousness into a successful career, still holds the record for the most Emmies given in a single category.

This wonderful, gifted, talented, and nervous comedian brought us Barney Fife.

He was:
    Jesse Donald "Don" Knotts
    July 21, 1924 - Feb. 23, 2006

NOW YOU KNOW, "THE REST OF THE STORY"
    See, not all e-mails are junk!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I call FOWL... :P

I'm a West Virginian. We've had a few people of note grow up here, and Don Knotts is one of our most beloved (may he rest in peace).

But - this story is a bit misleading.

Yes, it is true that Don Knotts took a job early on, plucking chickens.

But...he discovered his talent for entertaining long before going into the Army. Prior to enlisting, he did his ventriloquism act in several venues in Morgantown, WV (home of West Virginia University), and also in New York City for a few weeks. It was in the Army, however, that he ditched ventriloquism for straight comedy.

After being demobilized, he returned to Morgantown to attend WVU, earning his degree in Theater. He returned to NYC after that, using his connections from Special Services Branch to break into show business.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    I'm a West Virginian. We've had a few people of note grow up here, and Don Knotts is one of our most beloved (may he rest in peace).

But - this story is a bit misleading.

Yes, it is true that Don Knotts took a job early on, plucking chickens.

But...he discovered his talent for entertaining long before going into the Army. ...
    Oh! I thought this was how this story was related...as I understood it anyway. To quote:
    "When he started to school, he was the object of every bully on the playground. He was a hypochondriac of the first order. For Jesse, tomorrow was not always something to be looked forward to. But, he had dreams. He wanted to be a ventriloquist. He found books on ventriloquism. He practiced with sock puppets and saved his hard earned dollars until he could get a real ventriloquist dummy.

When he got old enough, he joined the U.S. Army. And even though many of his hypochondriac symptoms persisted, the Army did recognize his talents and put him in the Entertainment Corp...."
    G'day and Glock

I remember that Barney 'open carried' but seem to remember that he only had one bullet that he kept in his shirt pocket. Is that correct?
    Happily clinging to God and my guns...not at all bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by glocknload View Post
    I remember that Barney 'open carried' but seem to remember that he only had one bullet that he kept in his shirt pocket. Is that correct?
    I think this one of Barney is a running gag...
    "One major comedic source is Barney's lack of ability with a firearm. After numerous misfires (usually a Colt or Smith & Wesson M&P .38 caliber revolver), Andy (Taylor) restricts Barney to carrying only a single bullet in his shirt pocket, "in case of an emergency." The bullet always seems to find its way back into the pistol, where, predictably, it is accidentally discharged. The accidental discharge of Barney's pistol becomes a running gag: Barney gives a lecture on gun safety and either shoots the floor through his holster, or assuming the safety latch is on, causes the gun to fire."

Source: Barney Fife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    G'day and Glock