Man Sues Chicago Seafood Restaurant for Giving Him 9-Foot Tapeworm - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man Sues Chicago Seafood Restaurant for Giving Him 9-Foot Tapeworm

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Yuck! For me, nothing like meat that is cooked all the way through.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I'm not sure whether to blame the food not being cooked all the way, or the inspectors who didn't catch the tapeworm in the fish before distributing it. I suppose that if rare or uncooked is how you like your food, then tapeworms are something you shouldn't have to worry about. I, however, will never have that problem because if it's not cooked all the way through, I won't be eating it.
    Many cultures eat raw meat and seafood. It's a matter of knowing what you're eating and how to eat it. Think about it, were there any "health inspectors" centuries ago in Japan? Don't think there was anyone in charge of checking out the foods tha the Native Americans consumed. You're in the middle of nowhere and you need to eat. You're going to do what you have to do to prepare food the best you can so that it can be safely consumed.

I've been eating raw fish as far back as I can remember. My son has been eating raw fish and very rare meat since he was 2 years old. No problems so far. I've seen worse problems with folks eating some of them processed foods. Las night on the news they announced that "Hot Pockets" are being recalled due to some food borne contaminant.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Many cultures eat raw meat and seafood. It's a matter of knowing what you're eating and how to eat it. Think about it, were there any "health inspectors" centuries ago in Japan? Don't think there was anyone in charge of checking out the foods tha the Native Americans consumed. You're in the middle of nowhere and you need to eat. You're going to do what you have to do to prepare food the best you can so that it can be safely consumed.

I've been eating raw fish as far back as I can remember. My son has been eating raw fish and very rare meat since he was 2 years old. No problems so far. I've seen worse problems with folks eating some of them processed foods. Las night on the news they announced that "Hot Pockets" are being recalled due to some food borne contaminant.

gf

I'm sure you're right, however, I'm wondering what changed between then and now. Or did anything really change? Were tapeworm cases just a commonplace then as they are now?

Live tapeworms were actually sold as a weight loss product back in the early 1900's.

USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Live tapeworms were actually sold as a weight loss product back in the early 1900's.

Not a very healthy way to lose weight, I would imagine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12