racoons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: racoons

racoons

Anyone every have an issue with them? For some reason this year they seem to be out of hand. We keep losing livestock to them.

My neighbor down the road say he has one living in his barn. This a.m. I followed the trail of feathers that way. And if I had to guess the coon is what's responsible for for the loss part of my flock. Of course what ever its leaves the inexpensive Cornish rocks alone and goes for the $8.00 a piece turkeys.

Anyone have any suggestions on as to how to attract them at the right time? The electric fence does not seem to stop them. So its time to let Henry stop them.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

My vote would be to turn the Henry loose.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

there are very specific raccoon baits and traps. Depending on your local conditions, one may work better than another. Contact your local county extension office for suggestions on how to control the 'pests'. Your problem with them will only get worse until you address/deal with the situation appropriately.

Simply shooting them might be gratifying...and could ease up a little on the problem, for a while, but, generally, once the critters have been feeding regularly on farmed animals, they simply won't quit.....its just an easy meal for them.

I'm surrounded by woods on three sides, so raccoons are/can be a real problem.....we are always quick to show the raccoons a bad time, and having a coon dog that goes ape when she sees/smells em helps a bunch.

Take your problem up with your county extension agent

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No insult intended to your story in any way, I come from a long line of farmers/food growers. But I live in the burbs now and I laugh because 2 years ago my next door neighbor confronted a coon in his garage late one evening. The coon screeched at him and his solution was to close the garage door, turn off the lights and go to bed. The raccoon proceeded to tear up most of the interior of his minivan, knock over almost everything in his garage and **** all over EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING...AND it nearly destroyed the brand new garage doors on his brand new house. Yet, even come morning, my neighbor was still at a loss as to how to remove the coon and paid $200 for animal control to "remove" the pest. You could beat them to death with a dictionary but it won't fix stupid. Sorry to hijack your post and no offense intended but i had to share.

They make good targets.

Blog Entries
    Had carnage in my basement @ 3 AM with a .22 Ruger pistol. Coming in through the pet door...

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No insult intended to your story in any way, I come from a long line of farmers/food growers. But I live in the burbs now and I laugh because 2 years ago my next door neighbor confronted a coon in his garage late one evening. The coon screeched at him and his solution was to close the garage door, turn off the lights and go to bed. The raccoon proceeded to tear up most of the interior of his minivan, knock over almost everything in his garage and **** all over EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING...AND it nearly destroyed the brand new garage doors on his brand new house. Yet, even come morning, my neighbor was still at a loss as to how to remove the coon and paid $200 for animal control to "remove" the pest. You could beat them to death with a dictionary but it won't fix stupid. Sorry to hijack your post and no offense intended but i had to share.
    You hit the nail right on the head. Only problem is that it is costing me not him lol. But your are right you can not take the hear no evil see no evil speak no evil appoach and expect good results!

Bon Appetit Rocky! He has expensive tastes. I ever knew raccoons ate foul. Sure you don't have a fox or coyote around?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Yeah took about 5 of them out last year they learner real fast and moved on.

Possum and raccoon's will take them as well.

Blog Entries
    Coons got into the pen and killed three of our Guinea Fowl last Fall so I set live traps baited with sardines.
    Caught 3, popped them in the head with a 22 end of story.

By the way coon is good eating, roast basted with brown sugar and onions, or par boil, flour and fry.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast