New Fishing Group - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Fishing Group

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    Fishing can B fun, but waiting around in crappy weather for a bite takes time. When we had grenades for tossing around, roll up on a lake, pull the pin and lob it in, underwater shock wave stunned everything which then floated to the top, pick out the best and fry 'em on Sterno-stove, add salt, Tabasco sauce and it sure beat C's or later MRE's. No license or catch limit just how a unit lived in the bush 4 days @ a time.

Canis-Lupus
    Hey, isn't that cheating? It's more fun, not to mention more challenging, to do it the conventional way, you know, using a pole and a worm. Even though I don't particularly enjoy eating them (too many bones), I enjoy fishing for carp because of the fight they put up. Salmon too, although they are actually good to eat.

The only fishing I've ever done is here in the waters of Northwest Indiana. Because the water in most of these spots is so polluted, I never keep anything I catch.

Caught this one on Sunday. I usually like salt water fishing, but my son enjoys fishing for Channel Catfish, so we go whenever they open the reservoir.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Caught this one on Sunday. I usually like salt water fishing, but my son enjoys fishing for Channel Catfish, so we go whenever they open the reservoir.

gf
    Did you get a chance to weigh it? That's a nice sized one you caught there!

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Did you get a chance to weigh it? That's a nice sized one you caught there!
    The fish was 18 3/4" long and weighed in at 4 lbs 14 oz. You have to keep any fish that's 16" or larger, with a bag limit of 2 per angler. Past experience has taught me that anything over 8 lbs tastes horrible. My theory is that if I don't land it, then I don't have to keep it, so I use 6 lb test and be sure that the big ones "get away". My son was a little dissapointed when we "lost" 3 very BIG ones.

He had a great time catching Tilapia and a few smaller catfish. Pretty good fisherman for a 4 year old.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Nice. I could put you on some NICE catfish here although I usually move away from them once I start catching them! I had some dragging my kayak around a few weeks back, really nice sized.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

7. Kayak ? wait untill you hook a big snook you will be looking for the breaks. Over the mangroves and thru the bay to beep water we go.Love it.

Yea, I got to a spot at night where I pulled out a 50in snook but didn't get it to the boat....but I was in my kayak that night. I didn't get any on but that would have been SOME ride! I don't think my 3lbs anchor would have done much. I had a nice redfish drag me, the kayak, and the anchor around before which was kinda fun.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The fish was 18 3/4" long and weighed in at 4 lbs 14 oz. You have to keep any fish that's 16" or larger, with a bag limit of 2 per angler. Past experience has taught me that anything over 8 lbs tastes horrible. My theory is that if I don't land it, then I don't have to keep it, so I use 6 lb test and be sure that the big ones "get away". My son was a little dissapointed when we "lost" 3 very BIG ones.

He had a great time catching Tilapia and a few smaller catfish. Pretty good fisherman for a 4 year old.

gf
    What kind of bait did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    What kind of bait did you use?
    It's "top secret" so don't be blab, bing if you happen to know any other folks here in PRHI. We use chicken liver, beef liver, or skipjack tuna belly. In it's self, it's what most folks use. The "secret" part is the way the bait is prepared. I've found that 2 to 3 days fermenting in the hot sun after having some "ham ha" (chinese shrimp paste) AND "patis" (filipino fish sauce) mixed in does the trick. In the 15+ year's I've been fishing there, I have always caught at least 1 catfish. Some days the fish aren't biting, and while many are going home empty handed, I'll have at least 1 decent size catfish for dinner. Lately the tilapia have been biting the liver as well. On this trip we caught the one fish we landed with the chicken liver. The other "misses" were on beef liver. The stench of the bait is so bad that I don't dare bait the hook with my bare hands. I have a pair of surgical stainless steel tweezers that work quite well.

We have a great time fishing and the little one learns patience.

gf

Men spend most of their lives fishing, not realizing that it's not the fish they're after...

SIGN ME UP FOR THE FISHING FORUM!
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast