Which would you prefer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which would you prefer?

Not knowing where you live, hard to answer. As Harley57 stated, ride what is best for you. His suggestion of riding the route you will take to work should be discussed with the dealership prior. I can tell you from experience that, at least here, if it is one of the demo bikes, the local PD know where they should be. The dealership will, depending on the customer and circumstances, sometimes set up an overnight 'loan' of a motorcycle to try out. That again would be something to discuss with your dealership.
    As for the XL models, again, depends on the riding you will be doing and how comfortable you are on it. The owner of the oldest dealership here in my area still rides a Sporty more often than not. He grew up racing them, and loves how they feel and handle. He owns multiple dealerships and can ride any motorcycle he wants, his choice is the XL. So again, you have to choose what is right for you.
    In the motorcycle classes here, the instructors state that you should pick a motorcycle to fit the style of riding you plan to do. For me, I also ride a touring bike a lot, but I need the lockable saddlebags and often do 1,000 mile rides in a day. So the bigger, touring style bike fits my riding style.

Test ride them all, including the Star and see what fits you and what you want. For a first bike, used may not be a bad choice, but then again, it depends on if you find something that you really want.

And if you haven't taken a safety course, I would recommend it, if nothing else, just to refresh your skills.

I've heard from several other H-D riders that most people move up from the 883 quickly as it runs out of steam at interstate speeds. I've already figured out the Tourer option I'd like to go with, the V-Star 950 or 1300 Touring models... I'm always in the market for a smaller, 1-up only commuter that has that sorta mean style to it. Eventually, I could see my wife and I traveling on the Electra Glide or Heritage Softail... but that's for later on down the road. I used to have a Hyosung GV650 but sold it last year, I just picked up an '86 VT500C to replace the cruiser portion of the collection. It's a suprisingly capable bike, even 2-up... for shorter stints only.

I'm something of a motorcycle junkie, I'm always in the market for a deal or just something that catches my eye. I'm into all genres of bikes... sport, cruiser, standard, dual sport... you name it. For some reason... I've been getting the Harley bug lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

4. I hate posts like this because they re-ignite thoughts about getting my first Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    I hate posts like this because the re-ignite thoughts about getting my first Harley.
    My bad............ :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12