101 kids kicked off flight, allegedly wouldn't turn off cell phones

Thread: 101 kids kicked off flight, allegedly wouldn't turn off cell phones

Air Tran says that its crew had had enough of a group of kids flying from New York to Atlanta after they allegedly wouldn't sit down and put away their phones.
    by Chris Matyszczyk

The assistant principal's depiction of his allegedly unruly students.
    (Credit: Joseph Beyda/Twitter)

"We were more behaved than kids should be."
    These deeply felt words were offered to CNN by just one of the 101 students asked to leave an Air Tran flight bound for Atlanta from New York on Monday.
    Some might feel that kids on planes should just sit like the rest of the adult cattle in a soporific stupor. However, this incident provoked feelings that are anything but sleepy.
    Please imagine, too, the bemused thoughts of those few left behind after 101 students (and 8 chaperones) from New York's Yeshiva of Flatbush Joel Braverman High School were ejected by an Air Tran captain and his crew.
    The airline alleges that the kids just wouldn't sit down. Worse, some allegedly wouldn't turn off their cell phones. Yes, the airline says they had been asked, presumably politely. Cabin crew always ask politely.
    Many are the human beings who have received an icy stare and a prison guard's gruff instruction to turn off a cell phone or else. However, this seems to have escalated beyond normal imaginations.
    A representative for Southwest Airlines, which owns Air Tran, told CNN that the captain attempted to restore order and failed. The decision was taken to remove the whole party.
    So a group of students that was so looking forward to Six Flags was flagged as being unruly cell phone-wielders.
    You might imagine that the adults chaperoning the students called it differently.
    One, Marian Wielgus, insisted that the crew had overreacted. She claimed that it was merely a small group at the back of the plane that might have been boisterous. (They always sit at the back, don't they?)
    Some students, though, insist this had nothing to do with cell phones or being unruly.
    Jonathan Zehavi told CNN: "They treated us like we were terrorists. I've never seen anything like it. I'm not someone to make these kinds of statements. I think if it was a group of nonreligious kids, the air stewardess wouldn't have dared to kick them off."
    Well now, Jonathan. Terrorists get arrested. Even suspected ones.
    Still, some might imagine that all this occurring at 4 a.m. was too much for a crew that may not have fully ingested its first morning coffee.

The school's assistant principal, Joseph Beyda, took to his Twitter account to amuse rather than stir. He posted a highly provocative image of the kids, smiling cheerily at an airport, not a cell phone to be seen.
    It was captioned: "Whitewater rafting in Milwaukee." Yes, the kids had been looking forward to rafting, too. But not after being sent by the cabin crew to the Brew Crew.
    Clearly, the trip continued, as Beyda's latest tweet explained they are now in Atlanta. The school, however, says it is conducting its own investigation.
    Meanwhile, the students have also taken to Twitter to express themselves. Emily Shrem, for example, offered: "Yes we got kicked off the plane to Atlanta. Who knew Southerners could be so mean."
    Some might imagine those accusing the airline of prejudice might not want to cast aspersions on other equally emotional groups. Perhaps they haven't seen "Deliverance."
    In this case, though, could it be that the whole group was forced to pay for the cell phone transgressions of a few?
    If so, perhaps airlines might make this a firm rule. There would be something so charming if whole groups of cell-chattering business folks were tossed off planes.
    They're always the ones with the big PCs who nudge you the whole trip as they type.
    Remember when you were young and a bunch of your high school friends took a trip away from your little part of the world? I would have been unruly too. It's all about being young. Sure would like to do that again, wouldn't you?
    101 kids kicked off flight, allegedly wouldn't turn off cell phones | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

While I would LOVE to be young again, even when I was, I had respect for authority. If a pilot told me to turn off my cell phone, it was off. (Actually there was no such thing as a cell phone then.) I had my wild side, but I was never arrested so I guess I didn't do anything too bad. Or was just never caught. But in this case, these kids WERE caught and warned. If there were only a few guilty ones, then it was an over reaction. But if you've ever seen a group of 101 teenagers, you know there's more than a handful of cell phones among them that are turned on. They have to text the person sitting in the seat beside them. And that's too bad. But......you know the rest. Rules are rules and they apply to teenagers as well.

Blog Entries
    I would have been grateful for the opportunity and done what I was told and kept my f'n mouth shut.

One kid says "they treated us like we were terrorists." Yeah? GOOD! They were warned and its a well known fact that radio waves from a cell phone can cause problems with the plane. I would have taken the little mofo's phone too. The safety of 200+ PEOPLE is more important than your game of Angry Birds.

101 kids and 8 chaperones?
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

As the driver of an Activity bus (motor coach, Greyhound style) for a public school system, I can tell you that sometimes you wonder why the sponsors (teachers, coaches, etc) think they are there because they won't call down the kids.

We stopped at a Wendy's after a Jr. High track meet 125 miles from the house and the younguns were so disruptive that the manager had to threaten to have them wait outside before and after ordering.

There were 5 coaches there (2 buses, 90 kids), and one was the District Superintendent's wife. I told her that if she would give the trouble makers a choice of get off ALL extra curricular activities or give her 100 8-count body builders and an extra 2 miles for each occurrence she could quell that!

7. People need to learn that they are subject to the protocols and even though the captain or crew asks politely, it is not a suggestion. It sounds like these kids got what they deserved. The Pilot is in charge-period.

For the ones who were not causing trouble, well, I guess the lesson is be careful who you hang with. When I toured with our college choir back in the day the rules were strictly adhered to by all or the rule-breakers were promptly put on a plane headed home. Not just for the more egregious infractions either, but for any infraction. I know for a fact it happened to at least two.
    "...on any given day there are bad people in the world who are able and willing to hurt you." --Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

When I was a "little turd" there was a time to be unruly and a time to get my ass beat. I knew the difference. These little turds did not know the difference. Ya wanna know what's wrong with the country...here are 101 shiny turd examples along with the big turd chaperon! Hopefully these little turds and the parents that pooped them out will end up paying for the airlines inconvenience...but I don't think so!!

100 kids of this age and anybody expects them to be anything less than obnoxious? They probably fully deserved it. I see teens texting and driving all the time, they can't stop doing it if their live depended on it.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Mob mentality is bad on adults and kids have no control over their emotions under the best of situations. It doesn't take but a couple to get the madness started and then all hell breaks loose. Case in point, it only takes one guy to start a food fight!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    100 kids of this age and anybody expects them to be anything less than obnoxious? They probably fully deserved it. I see teens texting and driving all the time, they can't stop doing it if their live depended on it.
    Actually, their lives do depend on it.