NY Senate Passes Law That Makes It A Felony TO 'Annoy' A Cop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Senate Passes Law That Makes It A Felony TO 'Annoy' A Cop

1. NY Senate Passes Law That Makes It A Felony TO 'Annoy' A Cop

The New York State Senate passed a bill today that “creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.
    ?Annoy? a Cop in New York State? That Could Soon Earn You 4 Years in Jail | TheBlaze.com

Now the HUGE question is, what constitutes 'annoying'

I really think NY will be the first 'test case' for an all out police state
    An informed gun owner is an anti-gunners worst nightmare, stay informed at the American Gun Owners Alliance

It's coming folks. The people that run that state are not Americans in my book. They have lost touch with any sort of reality.

I wonder what WILL constitute 'annoyance'? I think it's always been against to law to annoy or harass a police dog or a police horse and I can understand that. But that usually involves hitting or teasing them. OK, so teasing a cop will get you four years? I had no plans to visit NY anyway. Ever.

That sucks! The only thing ive been good at is annoying the cops! Guess ill have to find a new hobby.....dang!!

6. these dumb asses have nothing better to do,than to pass a stupid law like that. you see what happens when you start catching them stealing and lying so now they have to think of stupid **** and act like they are doing something

7. One house of a legislature can only pass a bill, not a law. That takes passage by both houses and signature by the governor.

You mean, no more donut jokes ?

Well anything the officer gets annoyed about.. You know like standing up for your rights.. asking to see their badge, saying your gonna sue em/the department/calling them names.. Stupid things that drunk people often do when drunk (just look at cops and see how many officers go from 0 to 100% pissed off during some of the confrontations that DO make it to TV (wonder how much of cops was edited to be "officer friendly"))

Good idea. Because once you make people felons they loose their gun rights.

To be debated tomorrow: Making spitting on the sidewalk a felony.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    ?Annoy? a Cop in New York State? That Could Soon Earn You 4 Years in Jail | TheBlaze.com

Now the HUGE question is, what constitutes 'annoying'

I really think NY will be the first 'test case' for an all out police state
    Hey dc dalton... the link to the actual bill was in the first paragraph of the article you posted. Here's the text... it's pretty cut and dry as to what annoy means:

S 240.33 AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER.
    A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR
    PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM
    A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE
    OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER
    OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS
    SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.
    AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER IS A CLASS
    E FELONY.
    S 2. This act shall take effect on the first of November next succeed-
    ing the date on which it shall have become a law.

So according to this... annoy has to be accompanied with physical contact. No contact, no annoying. Imagine that 8 posters commented before someone actual read the OP's article with the law in it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast