My WAAAAY Off-Topic RANT - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My WAAAAY Off-Topic RANT

1. Ah, fuhr52, that I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by croute View Post
    I've been in the TV biz for 20 years. Although I totally agree that the government screwed us over again, you don't have the reason and result accurate. The reason why the government did it was so they could use the analog (over the air) bandwidth for their own use (military). And, you didn't have to pay a cent for it. They provided vouchers so you could get a converter box and still see free TV. The TV & radio stations were the true victims. It cost them millions to convert all of their equipment.
    So the stations didn't somehow pass that cost on to us? Where did the government get the money to give out the vouchers. No such thing as a free lunch.

4. rstews: No, the stations didn't pass the cost on to "us." As I stated earlier, I agree our tax money went to pay for the vouchers, just like we pay taxes for everything else. So, in that sense, yes, the government used out money to pay for the converter boxes.

Since TV and radio stations are free for everyone to watch and listen to, there was no way to pass the expense on to "us." They had to take the hit. The only way TV and radio stations make money is through advertising. And, they couldn't just up the cost of the ads, since it's based on ratings, competition and what the market will bear.

Quote Originally Posted by croute View Post
    rstews: No, the stations didn't pass the cost on to "us." As I stated earlier, I agree our tax money went to pay for the vouchers, just like we pay taxes for everything else. So, in that sense, yes, the government used out money to pay for the converter boxes.

Since TV and radio stations are free for everyone to watch and listen to, there was no way to pass the expense on to "us." They had to take the hit. The only way TV and radio stations make money is through advertising. And, they couldn't just up the cost of the ads, since it's based on ratings, competition and what the market will bear.
    Gotcha, thanks.

Since I started this, I'll add some more. (I haven't been online in over a week)
    Even with the (almost) free converters, and with the two new HDTVs we purchased,and the new boosters, and the fact that my antenna is 20' above the house, and the fact that we are on a hill; we still get poor reception, and actually get fewer stations than before the change.
    So I'll restate my original post. Government sucks.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Since I started this, I'll add some more. (I haven't been online in over a week)
    Even with the (almost) free converters, and with the two new HDTVs we purchased,and the new boosters, and the fact that my antenna is 20' above the house, and the fact that we are on a hill; we still get poor reception, and actually get fewer stations than before the change.
    So I'll restate my original post. Government sucks.
    I dont need half that many examples to come to the same conclusion...... (just being sarcastic about the gov, not you...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12