"Forgive Them Father, They Know not What They Do" - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 70

Thread: "Forgive Them Father, They Know not What They Do"

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    big·ot·ry

    [big-uh-tree] Show IPA
    noun, plural big·ot·ries.1.stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

    2.the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.



    Origin:
    1665–75; bigot + -ry, formation parallel to French bigoterie

    Synonyms


    1. narrow-mindedness, bias, discrimination.
    It is totally amazing to me that some people are completely clueless when it comes to what "bigotry" & intolerance really is-- "Love & concern for a person's "eternal" soul is in no way bigoted or intolerant. But, the truly "ignorant" will call it that because they are blinded to their own sin & lust of the heart.

    Being ignorant, narrow-minded and foolish has much more with the one "refusing" wise counsel; than the one who is offering wise counsel and showing care & concern for something that has deadly AND eternal consequences.

    Jesus and those that serve HIM are not discriminating and trying to keep someone beat down & beneath them. A true Christian reaches out in LOVE and tries to lead a sinner in the path that will promote & UPHOLD him. Christians try to invite someone into their group not keep them out. (To believe otherwise is foolish & prideful.)



    Let me offer this example-

    Suppose I was aware that a group of white racists were looking for any black or Jew they could find to beat up or lynch. (This type of thing happened not long ago in our history.) Now, pretend I knew where these racist were planning to go in the hunt for their victims; so, I find potential victims and warn them to prepare for the danger ahead and I offer a path to safety & security so they will escape the danger.

    Would I (being white), be a bigot; simply because I warned them not to go down a certain road or to stay away from a certain place that could bring them harm or even death?

    Nor, is the Christian being a bigot when he/she warns the sinner to stay away from certain areas and not to go down certain roads in life.


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  2.   
  3. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    So now the new moral authority for life is Webster's Dictionary?
    No, it is not the moral authority anymore than the definition used by kwimby. We have a moral authority called the Bible which is very definitive about marriage, as well as what is not considered a marriage. If you consider those who follow the Bible to be bigots, please number me as one. I make no apologies or excuses for that. What the world calls me is of no significance. I don't have to answer to the world, only to God.

  4. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    My moral authority is my conscience.
    From what I have read in your posts, your conscience makes more sense and is more significant than some of the diatribe put forth on here by others. You have taken on the mantle of being an atheist but, in defense of your position, you have expressed yourself as having at least made what you consider an informed decision, unlike some on here who seem driven more by emotion than intellectual thought. You know I disagree with you but I accept your position and appreciate your comments not being made in an inflammatory manner. Those who claim to be atheists could learn from you.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    From what I have read in your posts, your conscience makes more sense and is more significant than some of the diatribe put forth on here by others. You have taken on the mantle of being an atheist but, in defense of your position, you have expressed yourself as having at least made what you consider an informed decision, unlike some on here who seem driven more by emotion than intellectual thought. You know I disagree with you but I accept your position and appreciate your comments not being made in an inflammatory manner. Those who claim to be atheists could learn from you.
    Thanks! But the more accurate and even more important comparison is that lots who take their religion public could learn from you!

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,801
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTwoShure View Post
    OK, some of us who know the Truth must get off this and spread the Word to those who do not. This is all great to show we have Bible but let us not allow others to die in sin. I do not want that on my hands.
    People will die in their sin because they choose to die in their sins. No matter how many times you tell them the truth or prove it to be the truth they choose to ignore the truth. That's why The Gate leading to death is wide and many will enter. Ignorance is the hallmark of this last generation, that's why it's "the last generation".
    It Is Appointed Onto Man Once To Die, And After That To Face Judgement

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,801
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    My moral authority is my conscience.
    "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death; which lead unto eternal death; for that is the wages of sin, let it appear in what shape it will".
    It Is Appointed Onto Man Once To Die, And After That To Face Judgement

  8. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    No, it is not the moral authority anymore than the definition used by kwimby. We have a moral authority called the Bible which is very definitive about marriage, as well as what is not considered a marriage. If you consider those who follow the Bible to be bigots, please number me as one. I make no apologies or excuses for that. What the world calls me is of no significance. I don't have to answer to the world, only to God.
    I really have very little respect for anyone that 'follows' a collection of very old short stories, especially since everyone that 'says' they follow it, cherry picks the parts they choose to follow, and ignore the rest. People with the same book in hand range from very caring and tolerant to raging hatred and total intolerance, all with the same book in hand. There has been a whole lot of cherry picking done on both sides, as the book itself is flawed and irrelevant.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,801
    People say that the book of Revelation is hard to understand, they're wrong. It's not hard to understand. It's hard to believe. If you will believe it, you will understand it. The same is true of the Genesis story. It's the same with Evolution. We base our belief in God on faith, and Evolution also believe what they are taught by faith. Evolution is a faith-based system. Therefore, Evolution is really a religion, isn't it? Yes, because both have to be accepted by faith. But, then it comes down to this matter - what does your faith have to offer you? Your faith in Evolution offers me nothing, because when I ask, "Who am I?" it answers with, "We are just a chance accident" ("nothing, plus nothing, plus time, equals something"). Or, as the Bible teaches, are we made in the image and likeness of our Creator God? Evolution offers the freedom to sin. But that leads one to the ultimate question, "What happens when we die?" Do I just become nothing? Stop and think for a moment about what is the greatest hope of an Atheist? The greatest hope of an Atheist is that there is nothing after death. The Christian's hope is that we are going to live eternally with our Lord Jesus Christ.
    It Is Appointed Onto Man Once To Die, And After That To Face Judgement

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    People say that the book of Revelation is hard to understand, they're wrong. It's not hard to understand. It's hard to believe. If you will believe it, you will understand it. The same is true of the Genesis story. It's the same with Evolution. We base our belief in God on faith, and Evolution also believe what they are taught by faith. Not exactly... Evolution has tangible evidence, Ringo. Evolution is a faith-based system. Again, not really... perhaps "faith" that science will continue to put the pieces together... Therefore, Evolution is really a religion, isn't it? Religion... belief, sorta semantics. Difference is, Evolutionists don't worship anything. Yes, because both have to be accepted by faith. Evidence is more accurate a term, I think. But, then it comes down to this matter - what does your faith have to offer you? An answer to whatever question you may have, of course. Your faith in Evolution offers me nothing, because when I ask, "Who am I?" it answers with, "We are just a chance accident" ("nothing, plus nothing, plus time, equals something") And your faith offers me nothing, Ringo.. Or, as the Bible teaches, are we made in the image and likeness of our Creator God? Evolution offers the freedom to sin. "Sin", is only subjective to one's beliefs in a deity. I'm not a theist, but live a life that could fit in with many religions. But that leads one to the ultimate question, "What happens when we die?" Do I just become nothing? No, your decaying body becomes food for other living beings... eventually, you could "live" again as a tree... or a badger, or even a tomato that's eaten by a pregnant women and thus you are apart of another human. Stop and think for a moment about what is the greatest hope of an Atheist? The greatest hope of an Atheist is that there is nothing after death.If there's nothing after death, you won't know about it anyway... so who cares? The Christian's hope is that we are going to live eternally with our Lord Jesus Christ. There's an interesting quote, "You go to heaven for the weather, but you go to hell for the company."
    My replies are in blue. You and I have gone through this before Ringo, neither one of us is likely to change our minds... or anyone else. There is a difference here though... I am open to the possibility that there is, what we refer to as God. Perhaps we'll find out when we die the secrets of existence, idk. Most theist I have ever met are so close-minded it's scary. There is never the possibility of intellectual discussion, only a "I'm right and you're going to hell you filthy heathen!" kinda thing. Where most theists would get angry with the conversation, I stay calm and wonder how somebody could get so mad over something they believe on faith. After all, faith is the belief in something without evidence... I'm told I need to feel god and take his "truth" on faith. Why? "B/c if you don't you'll go to hell!" How do you know? You ever been there? Or b/c a book that was written by a handful of people a thousand years after the guy supposedly said all this, and has been reinterpreted and rewritten more times than we really know, that says that god created existence in six days somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago even though we know that everything has been here at least a thousand times that figure...?

    Hard to believe? You got that right, Ringo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  11. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    As to the "greatest hopes" of most atheists, particularly the moral and ethical ones, their/our greatest hope is to do good before we die simply because it's the right thing to do--not because we tremble in fear of incurring the everlasting wrath of some mythical being in the sky for violating one or more of his/her/its supposed "morality" pronouncements.
    A theist's greatest hope is to just die because "they themselves" are good.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast