"Forgive Them Father, They Know not What They Do" - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: "Forgive Them Father, They Know not What They Do"

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Then I would suggest that your hypothesis is meaningless
    Your Righteousness are but filthy rags upon the throne of the Lord.

Suggest all you like.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm sorry Kwim you must have forgot I pay zero attention to anything you post.

Have a nice day
    You Are the poster Child!
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Your Righteousness are but filthy rags upon the throne of the Lord.
    Titus 3:5
    not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Suggest all you like.
    Thanks, I will and my first suggestion is that if what you believe about god can’t be supported by Scripture it isn’t true.

ETA

I used to be a machinist before my job went to China and in every machine shop I ever worked in there was a set of gage blocks in the QC office that was never used except to calibrate measuring instruments.

This set of blocks was considered to be “The Standard” on your first day of work a QC guy would come over to your tool box and take all of your measuring instruments over to QC and he would check them against “The Standard” and calibrate them to it. Any instrument you had that couldn’t be calibrated to “The Standard” was red tagged and you couldn’t use it in that shop. Any time your instruments deviated from “The Standard” your instruments were assumed to be wrong.

Similarly as a Christian I consider the Bible to be “The Standard” and every belief I hold must be measured against it. If I hold a belief that can’t be supported by Scripture that belief is invalid, if my belief deviates from Scripture, it’s wrong.

So, If you come to me and say “I believe this about God ” you can expect me to judge it by Scripture and the first question I’m going to ask you is "What Scripture do you base this belief on?" If you can’t give me a Scripture reference I’m very likely going to completely discount it.

It’s weird to me that a Christian would take offense at that
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by kwimby View Post
    I have another theory concerning the topic of religious viewpoits on this subject:

Affect bias amplifies cognitive dissonance in devout believers to the point where their comprehension of reality becomes so skewed that all reality becomes distorted fantasy.
    kwimby: I haven't heard the term "cognitive dissonance" used very much since I obtained my degree in Psychology many years ago. I very promptly forgot all the clinical definitions and reverted to trying to use common sense. One must be careful when choosing terms to describe their particular biases since the term covers so many varied areas and perceptions of reality.
    Affect bias, or rules of thumb, being one form of cognitive dissonance. Mortality salience, or the fear of one's death, leads to a worldview defense, another psychological defense, of one being very aware of eventually dying. Mortality salience, causes some to become more aware of self, others, and the thought of death causes some to think about what may be waiting for us after death and the question, "Is God real?" This can cause one to embrace religion more vigorously, or intensify their disbelief in a deity. Clinical jargon is relatively easy to throw around but your thesis that devout believers are unable to comprehend reality and their views are distorted, does not hold water. Psychology has proven itself to be a very inexact science containing many conflicting theories and, in the long run, I don't feel that one can make more than educated guesses on any subject and can only hope to find someone who espouses similar theories. The Bible, however, has proven, and is proving more each day, to be the most reliable source of information for many of us. If you don't believe it, that is OK with me. As the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    . The Bible, however, has proven, and is proving more each day, to be the most reliable source of information for many of us. If you don't believe it, that is OK with me. As the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
    You can lead Atheists & Liberals to the truth but you can't make them think.
    It Is Appointed Onto Man Once To Die, And After That To Face Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
    Cliches are the watchwords of the cognitively dissonant.

The bible is the devout's encyclopedia of cliches for the scripture-impaired.

Treo appears to an expert on that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by kwimby View Post
    Cliches are the watchwords of the cognitively dissonant.

The bible is the devout's encyclopedia of cliches for the scripture-impaired.

Interesting, kwimby...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    You can lead Atheists & Liberals to the truth but you can't make them think.
    This made me laugh, funny is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by kwimby-Shoobee-OtisM View Post
    Proverbs 27:2 Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; A stranger, and not your own lips.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo the Scripture Expert View Post
    Proverbs 27:2 Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; A stranger, and not your own lips.
    You're welcome!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567