Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman. - Page 15
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I think something neighborhood watches around the country should learn from this is the possibility of backups or radios connecting people in the neighborhood. Had Mr. Zimmerman been able to radio to any one of the other neighborhood watch members I feel this would not have happened.

I think Neighborhood watch groups really need to focus on how to better serve their neighborhood.
    By not watching? Neighborhood Watch isn't supposed to be a command center operation. It's supposed to be simply an observe and report function, which is exactly what George was doing that night. Backup is kind of hard to do if nobody else volunteers. Besides, he can't effectively be in contact with any kind of backup while talking to police dispatch anyway, since any citizen connectivity would most likely be via cell phone rather than via radio. Neighborhood Watch programs rarely have anything like a budget that would allow them to but radios. The only thing he could have done differently is choosing not to observe. It's real easy to sit here after the fact and say that's what he should have done, but probably well over 90% of the people here never would have anticipated a confrontation like the one that occurred. The people here are more tactically aware than most average citizens, yet those among our ranks still get surprised just as Zimmerman did. The biggest advantage our tactical awareness gives us is in being prepared for such confrontations, both mentally and physically (the gun). It doesn't give us ESP or clairvoyance that allows us to see who's hiding behind that bush around the corner, even though so many people seem to think George Zimmerman should have anticipated it. Be careful the unusually high standards you set for others, lest those same standards be used on you someday.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I'm going to Disney World!
    don't bring a firearm there

Quote Originally Posted by Berta View Post
    Did you watch the trial and hear the evidence?
    No, but you'll find a lot of people who have absolutely no problem reaching conclusions without any knowledge of the evidence whatsoever. In fact, you'll find a few who reached a conclusion without any evidence whatsoever. They just make up evidence to fit their conclusion. But on the bright side, they do provide some comic relief when they try to lecture us for not being aware of their fictitious evidence.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams

5. Our neighborhood has a watch "captain", whose duty is to send, via email and text, criminal activity close to our neighborhood, in real time. He is a retired Chicago firefighter, and has an attitude to match. He knows all law enforcement here. There is a neighborhood watch sign below the stop sign on the inlet/outlet to our common cul-de-sacs. Don't know if that is a deterrent or not, but the "cap" put it there.

I get called occasionally by a neighbor who constantly calls the sheriff's office about suspicious vehicles in the area. She's called on the meter guy 3 times I know of, because she described his truck, and said she called the cops. She felt embarrassed after I told her who it was. Other traffic are lot owners checking to see if I haven't torn-down their for sale signs on the trees in the woods (just kidding), but yes they do zing by every few days to check the condition of their wooded lots.

I've found 3 tree stands while hiking in the woods around our neighborhood, used by bow hunters near deer crossings. Did some fun stealthy night vision hiking in the woods, until the batteries went dead, and I forgot my flashlight. First time I felt really helpless, having to plow step my way back to the nearest light, and the ravines are deep here.

All in all the watch works great, because it is simply a watch, but all my neighbors know who to call if an emergency arises, before LE may get there. Don't really cherish the dubious distinction, but it simply came about when a common handyman told my neighbors that he had bolted a safe to my slab and wall. He also saw my string/cork popgun I was making at the time (thought it would be safer to fire two warning shots from the balcony than a double barreled shotgun), so cover was blown there too. Thanks! Loose lips sink ships!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    By not watching? Neighborhood Watch isn't supposed to be a command center operation. It's supposed to be simply an observe and report function, which is exactly what George was doing that night. Backup is kind of hard to do if nobody else volunteers. Besides, he can't effectively be in contact with any kind of backup while talking to police dispatch anyway, since any citizen connectivity would most likely be via cell phone rather than via radio. Neighborhood Watch programs rarely have anything like a budget that would allow them to but radios. The only thing he could have done differently is choosing not to observe. It's real easy to sit here after the fact and say that's what he should have done, but probably well over 90% of the people here never would have anticipated a confrontation like the one that occurred. The people here are more tactically aware than most average citizens, yet those among our ranks still get surprised just as Zimmerman did. The biggest advantage our tactical awareness gives us is in being prepared for such confrontations, both mentally and physically (the gun). It doesn't give us ESP or clairvoyance that allows us to see who's hiding behind that bush around the corner, even though so many people seem to think George Zimmerman should have anticipated it. Be careful the unusually high standards you set for others, lest those same standards be used on you someday.

I believe you have just reminded me of the difference here.
    In My town its "Citizens on Patrol". They are given patrol cars with radios and they do use the local sub stations for their base of operation.
    County pays for gas and they cruise around. They even have uniforms. I guess we are to spread out to have true neighborhood watches. Most have at least an acre of land, some have 5 acres, and they just get bigger from there.
    There are 3 "Sub Divisions" but they might do their own thing but they have home owner associations...

Anyway, I think this is the difference for my area compared to a neighborhood watch.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    In My town its "Citizens on Patrol". They are given patrol cars with radios and they do use the local sub stations for their base of operation.
    County pays for gas and they cruise around. They even have uniforms. I guess we are to spread out to have true neighborhood watches. Most have at least an acre of land, some have 5 acres, and they just get bigger from there.
    There are 3 "Sub Divisions" but they might do their own thing but they have home owner associations...

Anyway, I think this is the difference for my area compared to a neighborhood watch.
    We had this until funds were cut. The jerk assigned to this area wrote down what he thought were POA violations, instead of looking out for suspicious activity. He was canned. Patrol was canned when the area incorporated.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    don't bring a firearm there
    How about my "CRACKA" t-shirt.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

How about this for a lesson.

Even though much of the Zimmerman Trial was televised, and the trial was available on the Net every moment it was on.
    Even though every document produced, a list of every piece of evidence is available upon request (I believe this is the only way to get it). Even though the full 911 transcript is available on the Net. Even though George Zimmermans walk through is available on YouTube...
    The Masses will still continue to feed upon half truths, untruths and never lift a finger to find out what really happened.
    There are some very educated people where I work (Maybe they think they are above a little research) and yet I hear them stating "facts" about the case that NEVER happened.
    So long as people of any and all colors continue to basically Lie about the facts of the case there shall not be peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Yep. That would make a difference. I don't think George had the benefit of that kind of operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    How about my "CRACKA" t-shirt.

... And why while it was going on was it called the "Zimmerman Murder Trial"? Seems a little bias if you ask me.
    Could have been the "Zimmerman Self Defense" Trial.
    Or The "Trial Of George Zimmerman".

I mean a Rose By any other name... but come on.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast