Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman. - Page 3
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    are you trying to tell me that you work in a job where you carry a sidearm for defensive reasons and you are not carrying with a round chambered?
    All I can offer in response is that in a gunfight he who gets lead on his adversary fight usually is the winner, and that there are no winners or losers after a gunfight only a dead person and a survivor (hopefully I will be the latter)
    Anyone who carries a pistol and does not have a round chambered is IMHO quite foolish
    I ALWAYS carry with one in the chamber.
    I was a Military Police Officer for 4 years, carried with one in the chamber then as well (1980-1984).
    I currently use two different weapons daily. One is my EDC, the other my nightstand gun with CT light.
    I chamber my round from the magazine in my EDC every morning while unloading my night stand gun. At night I un-chamber my EDC and re-chamber my Night stand gun.
    Can I make it any more clear for you?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I do not carry +1, I pull from the Magazine.
    This means I do not have 8 in my 1911 and one in the chamber(My EDC)I load the 8 round magazine and then chamber from that.
    If you read the post it tells you that I want the load off the Magazine spring.
    Go back and read.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Military; you also had a dozen other guys with you, and a rifle.

LEO; never seen or heard of a LEO that didn't carry chambered.

Or you were basically an unarmed security guard.
    Military, I had a Dozen other guys with me?
    Are you kidding?
    I was alone in my Plymouth Fury III with a .45, shotgun and a radio.

Read the very 1st post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I do not carry +1, I pull from the Magazine.
    This means I do not have 8 in my 1911 and one in the chamber(My EDC)I load the 8 round magazine and then chamber from that.
    If you read the post it tells you that I want the load off the Magazine spring.
    Go back and read.
    Then carry with only a couple in the mag. First it doesn't harm the spring (your car sits on loaded springs 24/7/365) and mags are cheap, springs can be ordered for even less, wishing to hell that I had one more round in a L&D situation.

Never has anyone said I wish I had less ammo in my gun. (except subjects in the police state of NY when cops count the rounds in their gun)
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Military, I had a Dozen other guys with me?
    Are you kidding?
    I was alone in my Plymouth Fury III with a .45, shotgun and a radio.
    You said "on duty" indicating either military or LEO, obviously LEO.

And at what point did you decide "now is time to chamber", after a perp displayed their gun? At every traffic stop or call you felt uncomfortable? Actually a more likely cause of a AD or ND by repeatably cambering and un-chambering than just leaving it chambered and holstered.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

That even on a firearm forum, there are still people that still blindly follow the media propaganda regardless of what facts later come to light. And there are some that think the goal is to prove innocence rather than guilt.
    You can have good intentions and not be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Be very familiar with your State's laws regarding use of deadly force. Indiana's "Castle Doctrine" (not named that), does NOT authorize pursuit. While the whole situation is tragic, in my opinion, Zimmerman became the aggressor when he initiated pursuit of Martin, and if memory serves, the 911 dispatcher told him that police would rather he didn't pursue. Just my two cents.
    There is no evidence that Zimmerman "pursued" Martin after the operator suggested it wasn't necessary. The evidence is that he lost sight of him, was looking for a street number as he returned to his car when Martin accosted him and attacked him. There was no fight, just Zimmerman being attacked attested to by his injuries and a witness that said Martin was on top of Zimmerman.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Here is a list of the recommended duties of a neighborhood watch captain from Harnett Co, NC, from the Sheriff's Office.
    Develop a neighborhood communication system to distribute vital information to neighbors
    pertaining to criminal activity and other concerns that develop in the area. This can be a
    periodic newsletter, telephone tree, and/or a one-page notice that can be quickly distributed.
    2. You are encouraged to arrange for your group to meet socially at least twice per year to
    exchange information and renew relationships as well as to get acquainted with new
    neighbors. People who communicate regularly will care more about each other and be more
    willing to keep an eye out for suspicious behavior. The annual National Night Out (NNO)
    celebration is one example that will bring your neighbors together.
    3. A follow up Neighborhood Watch program should be conducted every few years or sooner
    if specific problems are occurring in your neighborhood. This should also be the case if you
    have several new neighbors. Call the Crime Prevention office to arrange for a presentation.
    4. Encourage neighbors to advise you concerning criminal activity. It is the victim's
    responsibility to contact the police. However, you can keep a record of break-ins,
    vandalism, graffiti, and/or any activity that becomes a concern for you and your neighbors.
    Provide this type of information to neighbors at your next block meeting.
    5. Your position as a Block Captain does not give you any law enforcement authority. You are
    simply the person who facilitates the unity of the group, distributes information, and
    coordinates activities. The job you are doing is important and appreciated by the Harnett
    County Sheriff’s Office, but it carries no authority.
    6. Remember: Our recommendation to all citizens who see a crime in progress or notice
    suspicious activity is to observe and report from a place of safety. We strongly suggest that
    you not confront an offender unless you are in immediate danger.
    This applies to you and
    your neighbors. We do not want anyone to get hurt or injured trying to apprehend an
    offender or interfering with an incident other than to report the activity to the police. If you
    or your neighbors witness a crime in progress or observe suspicious behavior, call 911
    (emergency) or 910 893-9111(non-emergency).
    Or this one sums it up nicely;
    Remember, your position as a Block Captain does not give you any law enforcement authority. You are
    simply the person who facilitates the unity of the group, distributes information, and coordinates activities.

The job you are doing is important and appreciated by the law enforcement, but it carries no authority.
    from a development in AL.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Here is a list of the recommended duties of a neighborhood watch captain from Harnett Co, NC, from the Sheriff's Office.

Or this one sums it up nicely;
    from a development in AL.
    all that is good information, what does it have to do with the question of whether zimmerman felt that he needed to use deadly physical force to end the danger to his life?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast