Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman. - Page 6
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    ...B.If you are involved in a shooting do not make any statement to the police before consulting with an attorney...
    I don't disagree with that statement itself but I'm curious why people apply it to Zimmerman specifically. What statement(s) did he make that ended up being used to his detriment?
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Uhhh just applying a rare commodity, common sense.

You and I do not have the right to pursue someone and use our weapon to stop or detain them, only to use it only for defense.

It is the job/duty of LEO's to go looking for bad guys, that's why we have a sheriff's department, a city police dept, state police, etc.. That is why they have the authority of arrest. They are the ones to pursue the bg, stop his vehicle, detain them on the street, or enter their home to take them to jail, they are on the offense, and carry a firearm as part of those duties. They carry because they are on the offense against the bg, I carry to be on the defense because there are bg's.
    There is no indication that Zimmerman was following Martin at the time of the confrontation. It is not against the law to follow someone to see where they are going. Zimmerman had lost sight of Martin until Martin confronted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What have we learned?
    A.MYOB

B.If you are involved in a shooting do not make any statement to the police before consulting with an attorney

C.Right wrong or indifferent you are very likely going to trial and it is going to cost you a boat load of money

D.If Z had learned the first lesson we wouldn’t be having this discussion now

E. no matter how it turns out, every dumbass with a computer will spend the rest of yur life second guessing you
    "MYOB" is not really what the best of this country is about. The best of the country is about looking out for others as well as ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Read it for yourself: FL Code Section On Use Of Force

You will find that the "reasonable person" standard applies throughout.

This case has nothing to do with Castle Doctrine (inside one's home, in some jurisdictions one's property and/or vehicle),
    in fla the castle doctrine extends to wherever it is that you are. this isn't worth a fight, but you do not know as much about the law here as you think you may

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I don't disagree with that statement itself but I'm curious why people apply it to Zimmerman specifically. What statement(s) did he make that ended up being used to his detriment?
    I guess you missed the whole reenactment video he made with the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Correct. Not a SYG case. GZ is not claiming SYG. If he had done so the issue would have been decided in a pre-trial hearing. If the SYG provision applied the charges would be dismissed. No jury would rule. Then the press would have gone wild an the locals would have torn-up their own neighborhoods as is customary.
    of course SYG is part of this case.
    if there was a pre-trial hearing what you say is correct but zimmerman and his lawyers chose to forego the pretrial hearing and go right to trial. why? because he would have had to prove his case in the SYG hearing and different rules of evidence would apply and the hearing in the politically charged atmosphere probably would not have had a favorable outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    And even if SYG was a part of this case, the "reasonable belief" standard still applies. apvbguy says that it is assumed (by the law) that any assault is deadly. In a hypothetical using the two people in this case, let's say that instead of punching Zimmerman in the nose, Martin simply pushed him a time or two while cussing and telling him to back off from following him. The pushes are assaults, but not reasonably seen as having the potential to cause great bodily harm or death. Zimmerman would not have had the right of self defense available to him no matter how gifted his attorney might be at twisting the law to fit their defense strategy in such a scenario.

"Reasonable person" or "reasonable belief" is necessary in every self defense case, and in every jurisdiction in this country, that I've ever heard of. Under no circumstance does simple assault (a slap, a push etc.) constitute justification for use of deadly force in response to it.

Blues
    not quite right, how about if you add the verbiage that is claimed to have been used by the dead person? pushing and saying you are going to inflict bodily harm brings even your scenario into the realm of putting someone in fear for their life.

He should not have followed TM at all, ever, nor should he have challenged TM at all. Think TM is up to no good, call 911, give all the factual information you have, and go home.
    and you know that zimmerman wan't attempting to go home, how? are you an eyewitness that hasn't come forward?

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    and you know that zimmerman wan't attempting to go home, how? are you an eyewitness that hasn't come forward?
    That is not what I said, I said "he should have GONE home" Lost in his own neighborhood he followed TM so far?
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

That is not what I said, I said "he should have GONE home" Lost in his own neighborhood he followed TM so far?
    He wasn't "lost in his own neighborhood" he was on the sidewalk in between buildings where there were no numbers to identify. Why can't people get this straight?
    You can have good intentions and not be right.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast