Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned From Mr. Zimmerman.

As a Carry Community what have we learned from Mr. Zimmerman's Lessons Taught?

I now know for a fact having a round in the chamber is a must (Always has been but nice to be reminded).

This does make me wonder what would be happening if Mr. Zimmerman was coming to the rescue of an innocent being attacked.

My Gun and Ammunition know no color and my decisions darn well better be made in the same way.

If I have to make a decision in a split second whether or not to use my gun, make the choice that saves your life.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I've learned that no matter how innocent or well intentioned the act, even many fellow concealed carriers will nitpick and deconstruct almost anything you've done in order to find fault with your actions in a self defense scenario, even if you're innocent of what you're accused of and even if it means you'll go to prison for the rest of your life.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Be very familiar with your State's laws regarding use of deadly force. Indiana's "Castle Doctrine" (not named that), does NOT authorize pursuit. While the whole situation is tragic, in my opinion, Zimmerman became the aggressor when he initiated pursuit of Martin, and if memory serves, the 911 dispatcher told him that police would rather he didn't pursue. Just my two cents.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Be very familiar with your State's laws regarding use of deadly force. Indiana's "Castle Doctrine" (not named that), does NOT authorize pursuit. While the whole situation is tragic, in my opinion, Zimmerman became the aggressor when he initiated pursuit of Martin, and if memory serves, the 911 dispatcher told him that police would rather he didn't pursue. Just my two cents.
    This is something that keeps coming up over and over. The dispatcher told Z they did not need him to follow M and Z said OK. There is no evidence whatsoever from any source that says that Z followed M after that. Basically the entire trial is based on Z following M but there is no evidence showing that he did.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    This is something that keeps coming up over and over. The dispatcher told Z they did not need him to follow M and Z said OK. There is no evidence whatsoever from any source that says that Z followed M after that. Basically the entire trial is based on Z following M but there is no evidence showing that he did.
    Then how did the two become close enough for there to be a confrontation? The way I see it, if Zimmerman had stopped when it was suggested that he do so, and let law enforcement handle it, there would have been no confrontation. IF Zimmerman ceased the pursuit, and THEN Martin turned on him, that's a different story.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

To the OP's first point about a round in the chamber; the Zimmerman trial brings up an interesting question. Is it better to carry +1 or to pull the 1st round out of the magazine? Reason I propose the question is that the prosecution made it a point to note that Z was carrying +1 that night. The majority of the prosecution made the case for the SYG application in this case. The issue is that the prosecution is playing the emotions of the jury. He should be acquitted IMHO. Whether he followed M or not. No law says you can't follow someone. It's if he initiated the confrontation is he in the wrong. I don't think the prosecution can make that case.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

Was Z right? Who knows we weren't there. What it seems like though is Z was a desperate wanna be LEO. Applied to a few out of state departments to get a job (nothing wrong with that). I believe Z was an overzealous wanna be cop who's closest connection to the profession is being a neighborhood watchman. Most likely suspicious of every person who strolled by past 10 pm. But that doesn't mean TM wasn't a thug who caught a look from Z and had to "be a man" for no reason by attacking him. Whole thing is jacked up. Glad it's not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    To the OP's first point about a round in the chamber; the Zimmerman trial brings up an interesting question. Is it better to carry +1 or to pull the 1st round out of the magazine? Reason I propose the question is that the prosecution made it a point to note that Z was carrying +1 that night. The majority of the prosecution made the case for the SYG application in this case. The issue is that the prosecution is playing the emotions of the jury. He should be acquitted IMHO. Whether he followed M or not. No law says you can't follow someone. It's if he initiated the confrontation is he in the wrong. I don't think the prosecution can make that case.
    I do not carry +1. I pull from the magazine at least once per day Generally twice a day. I don't like not knowing my Magazine is seated correctly. I don't like not knowing everything is feeding, sliding, cocking correctly. All of this and pulling from the magazine relieves a little pressure on the Mag spring. I only rotate mags about once a week. I also have my favorite magazines that tend to work their way into the rotation most often.

Lesson: Through this thread I Have also learned that I don't care what the state law is concerning what is or is not a "Good Shoot". A Good Shoot is much like a pilots good landing.
    (Test to see who knows the saying).

Howdy FN1910,

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Actually if you look at the facts of the case there is plenty of evidence that proves that George did in fact follow Martin.

Look at where George's vehicle was parked and where the incident took place and the only way George could have got to where the incident happened was if he was trying to follow Martin.

Based on the girl that Martin was talking to on the phone Martin said George was out of breath from chasing him and the girl said she could hear a man the was breathing heavily.

Since George was 5' 7.5" tall and weighed 204lbs and was NOT muscular it's a safe bet to say he was very out of shape at the time of the incident.

Back to the OP's question:

When I was a SP in the AF we covered the use of deadly force as part of our training. The instructor told us that if we used deadly force to make sure that after hearing your side of the story a review board would say "Yep, I would have done the same thing.".

A few years ago I had to take the recertification class for my CHL and the instructor told us the very same thing about the use of deadly force, make sure a grand jury would say "Yep, I would have done the same thing.".

Pretty simple.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredG22 View Post
    Was Z right? Who knows we weren't there. What it seems like though is Z was a desperate wanna be LEO. Applied to a few out of state departments to get a job (nothing wrong with that). I believe Z was an overzealous wanna be cop who's closest connection to the profession is being a neighborhood watchman. Most likely suspicious of every person who strolled by past 10 pm. But that doesn't mean TM wasn't a thug who caught a look from Z and had to "be a man" for no reason by attacking him. Whole thing is jacked up. Glad it's not me.
    There are a lot of ways to express your need to be a cop. I was an MP for 4 Miserable years and I didn't even want to be a cop. I wanted to fly combat but my eyes sucked, so, being that at the time (1979) I was head long into Drugs and Alcohol I decided to "Clean It Up". WRONG. I went from hair down to my @ss, riding a Harley and getting wasted every day, to Hair high and tight driving a jacked up Plymouth with an interceptor motor and being wasted every day.
    The point is, if someone is a wanna be they can express it in the "Exciting world of armed security" "Military Police" or even Nuclear security.
    This was a high crime area and neighborhood watch programs can be very helpful.
    Lesson: If your a Wanna Be Cop, find an outlet for it. There are lots of companies who need people who will put their a$$ on the line for their property.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast