pitbull attacked me, would you shoot? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: pitbull attacked me, would you shoot?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Not every unleashed dog running-up to you is bad.
    Nope, but (at least in Colorado) every single one of them is in violation of the local leash law and subject to impoundment by animal control.

    I can't stand people that let their dogs run loose. Does the law not apply to you? Is your dog the only one on the planet that will look both ways before darting into traffic? Don't tell me how much you love your dog if you aren't willing to take th ebasic steps to control it and ensure it's safety.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Don't tell me how much you love your dog if you aren't willing to take th ebasic steps to control it and ensure it's safety.
    Actually..most leash laws either require a leash or the dog to be under 'control' of the owner (verbal is acceptable). In most cases a well trained dog does not need a leash and is fine with voice or hand commands - as is mine. My dog will 'unleash' and go play or scout under command, but will also return to a heel when called. I suppose you can't stand that either? Don't be harsh to judge because you can't see something that something is not happening or that someone is not being a responsible dog owner.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Actually..most leash laws either require a leash or the dog to be under 'control' of the owner (verbal is acceptable). In most cases a well trained dog does not need a leash and is fine with voice or hand commands - as is mine. My dog will 'unleash' and go play or scout under command, but will also return to a heel when called. I suppose you can't stand that either? Don't be harsh to judge because you can't see something that something is not happening or that someone is not being a responsible dog owner.
    Correct. My town law requires I have control at all times, not that the dog is leashed or restrained. Anywhere else can ticket me, I'll quietly and repeatedly pay the fine... but still won't leash the dog. When in public my dogs all have heeled on my knee without fail. At home I have land and there are barely five cars that pass daily so I let the dog remain loose. The neighbors and the road are a pretty good distance away and neighbors also let their dogs run loose. It's not uncommon for me to go outside and find a mastiff, border collie and mini schnauzer all hanging out on the porch. I'm a dog lover. I clean-up after my dog daily and I don't care if other dogs leave a load. I'll happily clean it up just to have their company too.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Actually..most leash laws either require a leash or the dog to be under 'control' of the owner (verbal is acceptable). In most cases a well trained dog does not need a leash and is fine with voice or hand commands - as is mine. My dog will 'unleash' and go play or scout under command, but will also return to a heel when called. I suppose you can't stand that either? Don't be harsh to judge because you can't see something that something is not happening or that someone is not being a responsible dog owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Correct. My town law requires I have control at all times, not that the dog is leashed or restrained. Anywhere else can ticket me, I'll quietly and repeatedly pay the fine... but still won't leash the dog. When in public my dogs all have heeled on my knee without fail. At home I have land and there are barely five cars that pass daily so I let the dog remain loose. The neighbors and the road are a pretty good distance away and neighbors also let their dogs run loose. It's not uncommon for me to go outside and find a mastiff, border collie and mini schnauzer all hanging out on the porch. I'm a dog lover. I clean-up after my dog daily and I don't care if other dogs leave a load. I'll happily clean it up just to have their company too.


    After some thought I do agree that there are times when letting the dog off the leash is OK. IMO they generally involve wide open spaces with zero potential for the dog to run into traffic. I don’t care how “smart” your dog is he has no idea that it’s not OK to run out in front of a bus.

    My ire is directed at the idiots I see every day walking/ jogging down the 4 lane highway that borders the East side of the facility I work at with their dog unleashed. Like I said if your dog flushes a rabbit and the rabbit darts into traffic your dog is going right after it.

    I also take exception to the idiots that are out “walking” their dog on the same busy highway and the dog is 50 yards away from them. They’ll all tell you the dog is “under their control” too.

    Then there are the idiots who’s unleashed, unvaccinated and unlicensed (but “under their control”) dogs tihs on my front yard and then “don’t understand” why I’m pissed when they do it.

    There are also the dogs I run into in the mountains that are completely out of sight of their owners. Did I mention that there are mountain lions and bears in our mountains?

    Anywhere else can ticket me, I'll quietly and repeatedly pay the fine... but still won't leash the dog.

    So, you are in fact above the law?

    See, that’s what annoys me. I play by the rules. My dogs are licensed (not to say that yours specifically aren’t) I do follow the leash laws, I don’t let my dogs run loose (around here you might as well cover them with ketchup for the coyotes if you do) and it bothers me when I run into folks that some how think they don’t have to do that.

    The other day at work I watched a woman on the property adjacent to ours. She parked her car right under a sign that said “Road Closed” “Do Not Enter” “No Trespassing”, walked right by it and took her dogs out onto the property and let them loose.

    They ran clear across the property and up to our fence which is alarmed and which I have to account for every time the alarm is tripped.

    When the woman caught up with her dogs I asked her “Did you somehow miss that sign right next to your car that said “Don’t come in here”? “

    She went absolutely bat tihs on me and started screaming and telling me what a mother****** I was and who TF was I to tell her where she could and couldn’t take her dogs ( I responded ‘I’m the guy that’s going to have your dogs impounded and you summonsed for trespassing “) and why don’t I just go **** myself and mind my own ****ing business (Lady when your illegally unleashed dog tripped my motion alarm you became my business).

    And the point to all this is she was the one in the wrong and she didn’t give a monkey fart what the law said or what the property owner wanted she was going to what she wanted to do.

    And my point in all of this is that for every one person whose dog truly is well trained and well behaved there are ten of this woman who don’t ****ing care and they are the one’s that are presenting your public image.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    I just got back from a pit bull call. (New owners who have a year old male that is testing boundaries & showing aggression.)

    When I got there the dog began barking & growling like it's gonna tear me up. I walked over & took him & he immediately became submissive. Probably 99% of what people think is dangerous aggression is nothing but BLUFF. After just a few minutes he's playing like a puppy & trying to do everything I'm teaching him.

    I've been rescuing & rehabilitating pit bulls for decades.

    To date: I have not found one that was too far gone to be rehabilitated.

    IMHO; It's the dumb^$$ owners that need to be neutered or put down in most cases. (I believe in everyones right to own a gun. But, some people need to stay away from animals period.)


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Anywhere else can ticket me, I'll quietly and repeatedly pay the fine... but still won't leash the dog.

    So, you are in fact above the law?

    See, that’s what annoys me. I play by the rules. My dogs are licensed (not to say that yours specifically aren’t) I do follow the leash laws, I don’t let my dogs run loose (around here you might as well cover them with ketchup for the coyotes if you do) and it bothers me when I run into folks that some how think they don’t have to do that.

    The other day at work I watched a woman on the property adjacent to ours. She parked her car right under a sign that said “Road Closed” “Do Not Enter” “No Trespassing”, walked right by it and took her dogs out onto the property and let them loose.
    It's not that I'm above the law. It's just I'm willing to pay the fine if ticketed. We too are loaded with bears and coyotes. My neighbors dog was smacked pretty hard by a black bear and now limps. But I won't resign my dogs to the house because of fear of another bear. I grow blueberries and as you can imagine bears love them. Country life.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  8. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    I own 2 pit bulls, both are non-aggressive, they've never bitten anyone or even shown any hint of aggressiveness, its all a media folktale, and just because the animal is "stray" doesnt make it an evil dog. IF I were attacked by a random roaming dog, yes I would shoot, depending on how aggressive the animal is, just because kids are looking doesnt mean a thing to me especially when it comes to a dog that can get to be 100lbs or more with my son sitting helpless in a swing just feet away.
    I have to say with vague details, your story doesnt look credible, especially when a dog just skids to a stop when you pulled 2 pistols, which, doesnt make sense to me, youd have more accuracy with 1 in your hand. Oh well, do what ever it is you do.
    The "lazy Police" have to file a report upon your request, it doesnt matter how "lazy" you claim them to be, and judging from the sounds of it, if you werent hurt I probably wouldnt have shot the dog either, because it shows it obviously wasnt THAT aggressive. Did you ever stop and think maybe it wanted to play?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    pitbull attacked me, would you shoot

    You or the dog ?



    Isn't that a given?
    Bravado. You're too timid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Attacked huh? Bit? Jumped up on? Yet, you said the 'pit bull' came to a skidding stop after your pulled out two handguns. If you were truly attacked, the police would investigate as you were getting medical treatment. Not buying the story.
    . Not every dog attack results in stitches. I'd pray for those of you who own them, but it won't do any good.

    Quote Originally Posted by TroutStalker View Post
    TCD has quite an interesting life.
    Unlike the majority of,you, I live my life mainly outdoors. Life can be interesting when you're surrounded by the summer flow of illegal immigrants who buy pitbulls because they think it's "gangsta." Our town has knocked down two park pavilions because the illegals try to live under them with all their dogs and even once i saw them with a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Lab created? Never heard that one before...doubt it was a pitbull though since your knowledge of the breed is so pathetic your credibility is shot.

    Dual wielding too....wow

    Shoot at whatever threatens your life or families. Sounds like you have no idea what aggressive dog characteristics are, that's fine, your line in the sand for self defense will be different.

    I probably wouldn't have shot in your circumstance. Nothing in your OP made me believe it was a pitbull or aggressive. Just made me think there is actually someone who thinks dual wielding is a good idea...
    My knowledge of the breed includes the fact that pitbulls are driven by an instinct created by breeding for viciousness and the smallest thing sets them off. They randomly kill other peoples animals, chase small children and attack their owners after years of being treated well. They're a menace which is why some cities ban them. Would you let a tame wolf roam the streets? As for dual wielding, who says i just spray indiscriminately? I pulled them both in anticipation of being bitten and unable to reload. One goes empty, you either drop it and fire with the other or try a reload while a pitbull goes for your face and throat.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    That lab-created freak is my best friend. plays soccer with the neighborhood kids. Is welcomed by neighbors with a treat. Everyone, I mean everyone that comes into contact with the dog loves it. Not a mean bone in it's body. I don't keep it tied, penned or leashed and have absolutely no concern that it will bite.

    Not every unleashed dog running-up to you is bad. Not every dog need be shot. In shooting a dog that hasn't attacked anyone, while in a public park, you create the risk, not the dog.
    Good for your dog. Any loose dog that runs around growling and snarling at kids then heads towards me and begins to run at me while doing the same is aggressive and violent and should be put down. Pitbull or lab, doesn't matter. I did not create the risk. You're a moron if you don't chain your dog. I chain my jolly lovable and harmless lab because there's always the chance he leaves and attacks someone. With a pitbull, it's inevitable.

    You pitbull lovers sound like marijuana advocates..."it's not the weed/pitbull, it's the person/owner." Yeah, whatever. Science proves you're wrong. You're also similar to liberals. You argue from an emotional standpoint, not a logical one.

    And I am a dog lover. So don't get me wrong. I've had a dalmation, rottweiler/german shepherd mix (neither of which are dogs anyone in their right mind would let roam the neighborhood) and a friendly ancient sheep dog (i think) named Max who died protecting me. I also had a giant red hound i saved from an abusive sadistic redneck.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    My knowledge of the breed includes the fact that pitbulls are driven by an instinct created by breeding for viciousness and the smallest thing sets them off. They randomly kill other peoples animals, chase small children and attack their owners after years of being treated well. They're a menace which is why some cities ban them. Would you let a tame wolf roam the streets? As for dual wielding, who says i just spray indiscriminately? I pulled them both in anticipation of being bitten and unable to reload. One goes empty, you either drop it and fire with the other or try a reload while a pitbull goes for your face and throat.
    Like I said your knowledge of the breed is pathetic. The only thing more pathetic than your knowledge is your prejudice against their owners. You sound like an anti gun liberal confusing your facts with emotional opinion. You calling your knowledge fact is like Hillary Clinton saying she isn't crazy. No matter how many times you say it, doesn't make it true.

    Such disdain for a dog that scores better every year on the temperament test than both the Dalmatian and german Shepard.

    Dual wield all you want....everyone calling you commando gets more real with each post.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    I own 2 pit bulls, both are non-aggressive, they've never bitten anyone or even shown any hint of aggressiveness, its all a media folktale, and just because the animal is "stray" doesnt make it an evil dog. IF I were attacked by a random roaming dog, yes I would shoot, depending on how aggressive the animal is, just because kids are looking doesnt mean a thing to me especially when it comes to a dog that can get to be 100lbs or more with my son sitting helpless in a swing just feet away.
    I have to say with vague details, your story doesnt look credible, especially when a dog just skids to a stop when you pulled 2 pistols, which, doesnt make sense to me, youd have more accuracy with 1 in your hand. Oh well, do what ever it is you do.
    The "lazy Police" have to file a report upon your request, it doesnt matter how "lazy" you claim them to be, and judging from the sounds of it, if you werent hurt I probably wouldnt have shot the dog either, because it shows it obviously wasnt THAT aggressive. Did you ever stop and think maybe it wanted to play?
    No, no they don't. They make their own rules. I've never encountered a department with a good work ethic. Andy Taylor is a fictional character. There are no cops like him. The way things should work are very often not they way they actually do work. Are the police in Flint well known for their morals and attention to policy? Hmmmm?

    I've never seen a dog that snarls while playing. I have a dog. He growls lightly when I wrestle with him, but never snarls or barks like that. Does the dog have to harm someone to be dangerous? SHould someone only protect themselves and their family only after they are injured? Oh i get it, I should just let him chew on a few people and possibly kill someone (maybe you or your child?) before I even begin to think about using force to protect anyone from a vicious animal.

    You're arguing from an emotional standpoint. Use your head.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast