Trojan virus on this site? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Trojan virus on this site?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    2,784
    I don't know why you would be getting alerts. I've had the site scanned and we're also being reported as clean at the following anti-virus sites:

    https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=usacarry.com

    usacarry.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software ? Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search


    Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Get a Mac... :)
    Won't help. Macs are not safer. I worked computer security in my last job and I'm certified in it. Macs just weren't targeted as much because they had minimal market share. Hackers like to boast, and taking down 400,000 Windows machines is better to brag about than taking down 40,000 Macs. That's starting to change over the past few years. As the market share for Macs has been increasing, so has their incident rate for falling victim to malware. So basically you're back down to the same old Mac and PC differences. You can't change a Mac configuration much because it's controlled by Apple, but you can highly customize a PC. A PC gives you the most commonality with other computers around the world, but nothing beats a Mac for high power graphics work. It's really a matter of personal preference and what fits you best, much like guns.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  4. Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    I don't know why you would be getting alerts. I've had the site scanned and we're also being reported as clean at the following anti-virus sites:

    https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=usacarry.com

    usacarry.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software ? Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search
    Thanks for stepping-in, lukem. I know we all appreciate your vigilance!

  5. Quote Originally Posted by LibDemGun View Post
    If your PC is actually clean, next most likely scenario is one of the advertisers is pushing off its work to a third party and junk is coming from there, not usacarry.com.
    We have a winner!

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    I don't know why you would be getting alerts. I've had the site scanned and we're also being reported as clean at the following anti-virus sites:

    https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=usacarry.com

    usacarry.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software ? Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search
    The OP wasn't real clear about what happened to his 'puter, but it sounds like it might be similar to something that happened to me awhile back, and I think I made you aware of it, Luke. Maybe not, but anyway, I clicked on one of the ads to one of the weapons manufacturers that advertises on this site. I won't name the site, because I subsequently found out it doesn't really matter, the "System Check" exploit can be triggered from multitudes of sites. Apparently, a small System Check popup is planted on our computers through cookies or other small bits of info we gather as we surf. It sits and waits for a "trigger" bit of info when you visit a site that has been implanted with that bit of software. Neither the site nor the computer it triggers is infected with the exploit itself, visiting the site just launches the System Check popup that's been sitting resident on your computer. It's when you fall for the come-on that you infect your computer. You do that by clicking on some kind of "Scan Now" or "OK" button. If you make that click, recovering from it can be very difficult. I'm embarrassed to say that I found out the hard way, and before I found a real cure, I lost a ton of files when I tried to do a system restore while the exploit was still active.

    So anyway, if this sounds anything like what happened to the OP, a good guide on how to cure your 'puter can be found here. You'll find as you're reading about System Check that it is not a "virus" or "trojan" or anything that comes from USA Carry. Most likely the trigger is just transmitted either by clicking on an ad here, or maybe as someone else said, being "pushed" through the servers housing one (or more) of those ads. Hope that helps.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Lowcountry of South Carolina
    Posts
    2,039
    My computer is fine (clean), I just received info pop-ups that my anti-virus was catching stuff popping up on here.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    The OP wasn't real clear about what happened to his 'puter, but it sounds like it might be similar to something that happened to me awhile back, and I think I made you aware of it, Luke. Maybe not, but anyway, I clicked on one of the ads to one of the weapons manufacturers that advertises on this site. I won't name the site, because I subsequently found out it doesn't really matter, the "System Check" exploit can be triggered from multitudes of sites. Apparently, a small System Check popup is planted on our computers through cookies or other small bits of info we gather as we surf. It sits and waits for a "trigger" bit of info when you visit a site that has been implanted with that bit of software. Neither the site nor the computer it triggers is infected with the exploit itself, visiting the site just launches the System Check popup that's been sitting resident on your computer. It's when you fall for the come-on that you infect your computer. You do that by clicking on some kind of "Scan Now" or "OK" button. If you make that click, recovering from it can be very difficult. I'm embarrassed to say that I found out the hard way, and before I found a real cure, I lost a ton of files when I tried to do a system restore while the exploit was still active.

    So anyway, if this sounds anything like what happened to the OP, a good guide on how to cure your 'puter can be found here. You'll find as you're reading about System Check that it is not a "virus" or "trojan" or anything that comes from USA Carry. Most likely the trigger is just transmitted either by clicking on an ad here, or maybe as someone else said, being "pushed" through the servers housing one (or more) of those ads. Hope that helps.

    Blues
    Not on Ubuntu! :-)

    And Rhino...unix is much harder to write code for than windows. That's the other thing. Apple already has the best programmers, you get what you pay for. You want a Ferrari, you gotta shell out the money. You can't buy a Kia and expect to have a high performance and well made machine. Same thing goes with computers. Buying any windows based machine is like buying a Kel Tec. Makes you say "oops."

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    And Rhino...unix is much harder to write code for than windows.
    Why tell me? I didn't say anything about UNIX.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NE Mississippi
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post

    You can't buy a Kia and expect to have a high performance and well made machine. Same thing goes with computers. Buying any windows based machine is like buying a Kel Tec. Makes you say "oops."
    The only time I have ever said "oops" is the few times I talked myself into thinking that I might would like an Apple product. Overpriced, overrated, worse than Windows as far as being geek-friendly, and packed full of proprietary hardware.

    Buying an Apple product is like buying a Lexus. Its pretty and usually has a feature or two you can't get on other cars, costs twice as much as anything else, costs three times as much to repair, nearly no aftermarket equipment, but when you get down to it, it is just a Toyota, and not good for much else than driving up and down the road. The people that own them think that they have the best thing on the market.....and they constantly have to remind themselves of it by telling that to everyone else.

    I have never heard a geek say: "I just built a bad-ass Mac."

    The only thing they build that is even mildly interesting to me are the workstations....and they have PC processors and PC graphics. The cheapest one out there worth having is four grand, and I could build a much more powerful PC for less than half that.

    Now, if I were an illustrator, or into movie production, I'd probably use an Apple product because of the software. Other than that......

    LOL....I finally got wise and ditched my iPhone for a new Windows Phone. Now I finally have a smart phone that I am happy with.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by fstroupe View Post
    The only time I have ever said "oops" is the few times I talked myself into thinking that I might would like an Apple product. Overpriced, overrated, worse than Windows as far as being geek-friendly, and packed full of proprietary hardware.

    Buying an Apple product is like buying a Lexus. Its pretty and usually has a feature or two you can't get on other cars, costs twice as much as anything else, costs three times as much to repair, nearly no aftermarket equipment, but when you get down to it, it is just a Toyota, and not good for much else than driving up and down the road. The people that own them think that they have the best thing on the market.....and they constantly have to remind themselves of it by telling that to everyone else.

    I have never heard a geek say: "I just built a bad-ass Mac."

    The only thing they build that is even mildly interesting to me are the workstations....and they have PC processors and PC graphics. The cheapest one out there worth having is four grand, and I could build a much more powerful PC for less than half that.

    Now, if I were an illustrator, or into movie production, I'd probably use an Apple product because of the software. Other than that......

    LOL....I finally got wise and ditched my iPhone for a new Windows Phone. Now I finally have a smart phone that I am happy with.
    Then clearly you haven't bought yourself a Mac tower. We don't need to put in new motherboards and a new processor and change the whole machine out for this reason...we already have 5 times the processing power you have in your new just off the line pc. The only reason PC manufacturers list their processors as being these absurdly high numbers is because they are behind on pipeline technology. Consumers are easily duped into thinking that bigger numbers means better, though you are comparing two completely different and unique architechtures. pipelines are the real measure of cpu speed. PCs generally take over three times as long to process information than macs because of their design. There are so many delays in processing with a pc that it isn't funny. so a 300mhz powerpc g3 with a 100 mhz bus speed is faster than a 1.2 ghz pentium 4 with even a 200 mhz bus speed. For example, get a state of the art pc with a 52x dvd drive and a g5 tower with the same and burn a dvd to the hard drive with the same roxio product. which is done faster? which one crashed? Sinve you don't do graphic design, applynthe same test to a simple cd rip in itunes. Try copying a few gigabytes of music to your ipod and time it. (You can't possibly be referring to an ipod as a mistake. i got the square nano and i still use it for over 6 hours a day. battery is as good as the day i bought it 6 years ago. besides the updates and one reset due to a bad download, it's perfect.). also, we can over-clock the cpu on a mac for free. all you do is move a few jumpers and add a fan to deal with the extra heat. I did it to mine and gave myself 30% more power and only had to buy a $5 fan to keep it cool. The reason you can buy a Mac and trade it back in almost a decade later for roughly a third what you paid for it (vs being told "i don't want that crap" by any reseller when you bring in your pc a year later) is because you can put a new version of linux or unix on it long after the version of OS X you are using becomes obsolete for browsing and completely reclaim your machine (and if you're really good, capitalize on the power. and linux is free!). Don't believe me? Ask Microsoft! They use Apple machines to produce their system! They also contracted Apple to fix the problems with their Xbox360 so they could release it, which has an OS oddly similar in look and feel to Windows 8. And it still crashes.

    If you bought a mac in the mid to late 90s (before the g3 and return of Steve Jobs), i feel for ya. I literally have an apple museum in my office. My least favorite are the power pc 603 & 604s. My favorites are the pizza box 68ks and g3s and up. I even have a few Umax clones, basically build it yourself Macs filled with tons of SCSI hard drives, flashed pc video cards and crammed full of games, obsolete graphic and web design programs...etc etc etc....ome has an internal Jaz drive. Cost me lots of money circa 2000 to have a 1 gb removable disk. So yeah, in 2000, I built myself a bad ass mac, which was also considered a supercomputer at the time. And I'm no geek. Just smart enough to figure out computers in 1995 when I messed up my uncles power mac 6100 and had only a half hour to fix it before he came home and beat me.

    Windows users are typically content to defend their choice because of the money they put into it. PCs are a scam. It's $20 here here here and here and it seems like it's cheap until you realize 4 years later your machine is half the speed it was when you bought it and you've spent thousands of dollars on software and hardware that you can't use in your next one. That and the mysterious slowing down of the processor. (As an example: my g3 tower is still running at the same speed it came with in 1999. and it was a grade school computer. i got it for $5 at a school auction and it had a forest green crayon lying on top of the video card which was all but fused to it with dust.). And building a file system around files floating in free space is stupid. File system first! That way you can repair a fragmented drive and not compromise every last file on it, not to mention the issue of corrupted and unrepairable system files which leaves you with a shortened hardware lifespan and countless hours redownloading every update after you reinstall from the system dvd for the hundredth time.

    As far as your phone goes, at least you didn't get the magical exploding Galaxy S3.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast