Travon's Mother emailed Me? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travon's Mother emailed Me?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Does anyone know whether that email was actually written by whom they say it was? In other words did anyone check out its validity?

If it was, then I agree with a lot of what has been posted in this thread, but if change.org is just fanning the flames and sending out a false email, then we just spread it further by creating this thread.
    Yes, It came from Change.org. I was shocked to see how many things my email address was signed up fo, without my ever signing up for any of it.
    I'm not sure through Change.org you could verify that it was or was not generated by Trayvon's mother (And father I believe) but from the general overview of the site it seems rather professional. Not that I appreciate the email, the tone of the email, or the fact that some where, some how, some one got their hands on my email address (Tough to to do right?) and there I was signed up for this Crapage.org shizot.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by opsspec1991 View Post
    I noticed that no where in the E-mail was there any mention of her copy righting her son's name to make money off his dead body was there? This woman has no shame and is the worst kind of mother I've ever heard of. Yes I feel for her loss as any parent would, but that's as far as I go, to dishonor her son the way she's doing, is wrong beyond words, but what goes around, comes around in the end.
    It already came around. I don't believe her to be the worst mother I've ever seen. I save that for the mother of the fourteen-year-old killed by cops at 3:00 AM in NYC, or the mother who allows a young daughter to be molested by a friend. She can't copyright Tray's name. Names of people, companies and products cannot be protected under copyright law. Names can be protected under trademark law, but only in association with goods or services used in commerce.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

4. That email is amazing in its blatant untruths. Was anything in that email true? I understand differing points of view, but outright lies? Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    It already came around. I don't believe her to be the worst mother I've ever seen. I save that for the mother of the fourteen-year-old killed by cops at 3:00 AM in NYC, or the mother who allows a young daughter to be molested by a friend. She can't copyright Tray's name. Names of people, companies and products cannot be protected under copyright law. Names can be protected under trademark law, but only in association with goods or services used in commerce.
    I stand corrected, I should have said trademark law.

Trayvon Martin's Mother is Smart to Apply for Trademark for Her ...

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/pos...rtin-Trademark...
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/pos...rtin-Trademark...
    Got it. Never let a good tragedy go to waste.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA

www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2012/03/26/Trayvon-Martin-Trademark...
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Got it. Never let a good tragedy go to waste.
    Though she did use the trademark protections to sell T-shirts to fund some of the marches that Sharpton and others have organized, the original impetus for the trademarking was to prevent random people from using Trayvon's image to profit from. There were as many Zimmerman-supportive T-shirt and bumper sticker uses of the more thuggish-looking images of him as there were on the Martin-supportive side when the shooting started exploding into a national controversy. Regardless of who's side the images sought to support though, the mother had, and still has, a legitimate interest in controlling how her son's image is used, but more importantly, she had/has an interest in making sure no one profits from the use of his image. If she owns the trademark, then I can't fault her for the small amount of profit she's made from use of Trayvon's images. The more important use of the trademark is that she prevents commercial uses of his image in ways that are harmful to the way she wants him portrayed. Rock stars and all celebrities protect their images in the exact same way all the time. If you don't believe me, use an insulting or derogatory image of one of them on a T-shirt, sell them on eBay, and see how long it takes before their business manager sends you a cease and desist order.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

So, since seven more posts came since I asked my question, "Can anyone verify if that letter was actually written by whom it says it is?" and no one answered it, I'm assuming the answer is 'No'. Anyone can put anything up on change.org.

It doesn't necessarily mean it is legitimate.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

It's all part of the anti-gun public relations playbook that has been going around the web.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Does anyone know whether that email was actually written by whom they say it was? In other words did anyone check out its validity?

If it was, then I agree with a lot of what has been posted in this thread, but if change.org is just fanning the flames and sending out a false email, then we just spread it further by creating this thread.
    Wolf, the parents have been partnered with change.org since shortly after the shooting. Their first petition there is part of what prompted the Governor to appoint Angela Cory as Special Prosecutor.

As far as the content in the email Kramer posted, whether it was actually authored by Martin and Fulton (dad and mom), or they gave permission to attach their names to it, it seems clear to me that it is authorized by them to be circulated with their names attached. There's tons of "cyber-ink" on this email out there, and everything I've run across supports the notion that the parents are involved in spreading it as far and wide as possible.

It's true that Sybrina Fulton secured a trademark on Trayvon's name/image, but both she and dear ol' dad already own the rights to use their own names. Since they were savvy enough to seek protection of how Trayvon's name and image is used, I'm sure they know that they could sue change.org's pants off if their names were being used without permission. I'm gonna say this is "from" them, even though it's quite possible that they had some lawyers and professional writers help them with writing it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

This is the kind of crap that race-baiters like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, MSNBC, and Oprah, like to circulate.
    All crap should be flushed down the toilet, along with the race-baiters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast