Well, after nearly three years of trying... - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, after nearly three years of trying...

I'm glad to hear you have a date set, and I hope you do well. As I said before, I'll say a prayer for your recovery. Merry Christmas gunnerbob.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    I'm glad to hear you have a date set, and I hope you do well. As I said before, I'll say a prayer for your recovery. Merry Christmas gunnerbob.
    Dittos little brother. Keep us posted.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I had the third cortisone shot about two weeks ago, met with the Doc yesterday to discuss the options and we set a date for the surgery of Jan. 14th... I'm just glad to finally make it to this point, ready to get it over with.
    May the waiting and the anxiety be over and I pray all goes well with the surgery.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I was finally referred to see a neurosurgeon to repair my herniation of the disc between L5 and S1! After being in and out of physical therapy, different pain medications and asking for an MRI... I saw a new doctor who sent me right away to get imagery done last Friday. We met today and he laid it out for me and wondered why the hell it took this long to get the MRI. So, I'm awaiting the referral to see one here in town and go from there. I have less then a year left on active duty so the sooner the better, I can spend the last six or seven months of enlistment recovering before I separate and begin school.

Who here has had the same or similar surgery, what can you tell me about your experience?
    Sorry to hear this. My wife had L4/L5 and L5/S1 decompressed in 2007. In 2009 she had a second surgery to fuse them. Removed her disks and put in cages, screw and rods. On the way home from PT, while still recovering, she was rear-ended at high speed. Broke her neck, ribs, arm and tore her rotator cuff. Several surgeries later she's unable to resume her old life. She was an avid mountain biker, rode dirt bikes, snow machines, horses, lifted weights and ran daily.
    Have faith. Her case is not the norm. Prior to the accident (after the fusion) she was doing great.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

6. My cousin just had back surgery. He had a herniated disc. They tried some steroid shots and after the third one there was zero improvement.
    He just had surgery this month and says other than being sore from the surgery, he feels 100%.
    His disc was putting pressure on a nerve that was cause horrible pain in his leg. He was taking pretty hardcore pain meds for a while. He said after the surgery the pain in his leg was instantly gone. Now he's just dealing with withdrawls from the pain meds.

I've had surgery on C5-C6 and C6-C7 twice. I had severe pain down the right side of my neck and right shoulder into my right arm, and had reduced sensation in some parts of my right hand. The first time they confined me to my bed for five weeks before the surgery because one disc was pressing on my spinal cord so hard they were afraid I might have permanent paralysis. It actually curved the spinal cord backwards in the MRI. That surgery was a repair of both discs done from the back, but it didn't last. I had to have the surgery again three years later. They went in from the front that time and replaced C5-C6, and also fused the discs. Recovery from both surgeries was pretty uneventful. I was fully functional within a week, though they had me take it easy for a while longer than that. I still have quite a bit of pain in my neck and right shoulder. I don't know if that will ever go away. Probably not since I also have degenerative arthritis there. In addition to the degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine, I have it in my lumbar spine as well, but not bad enough to warrant any intervention yet. Getting old is so much fun, and I'm not even that old yet.

Don't retire voluntarily. Let them medically retire you instead. I'll never forgive myself for not letting my MEB go forward and having the military retire me medically instead of just retiring on my own. My disability case with the VA would be far simpler had I let them retire me medically instead.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Sorry to hear this. My wife had L4/L5 and L5/S1 decompressed in 2007. In 2009 she had a second surgery to fuse them. Removed her disks and put in cages, screw and rods. On the way home from PT, while still recovering, she was rear-ended at high speed. Broke her neck, ribs, arm and tore her rotator cuff. Several surgeries later she's unable to resume her old life. She was an avid mountain biker, rode dirt bikes, snow machines, horses, lifted weights and ran daily.
    Have faith. Her case is not the norm. Prior to the accident (after the fusion) she was doing great.
    That's a horrible story, BC... Sorry that happened to your wife. I suppose she's lucky to be alive, so all is still good!

Quote Originally Posted by Acasper708 View Post
    My cousin just had back surgery. He had a herniated disc. They tried some steroid shots and after the third one there was zero improvement.
    He just had surgery this month and says other than being sore from the surgery, he feels 100%.
    His disc was putting pressure on a nerve that was cause horrible pain in his leg. He was taking pretty hardcore pain meds for a while. He said after the surgery the pain in his leg was instantly gone. Now he's just dealing with withdrawls from the pain meds.
    That's good that the surgery was a success but sh!tty he's got med withdrawls...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I've had surgery on C5-C6 and C6-C7 twice. I had severe pain down the right side of my neck and right shoulder into my right arm, and had reduced sensation in some parts of my right hand. The first time they confined me to my bed for five weeks before the surgery because one disc was pressing on my spinal cord so hard they were afraid I might have permanent paralysis. It actually curved the spinal cord backwards in the MRI. That surgery was a repair of both discs done from the back, but it didn't last. I had to have the surgery again three years later. They went in from the front that time and replaced C5-C6, and also fused the discs. Recovery from both surgeries was pretty uneventful. I was fully functional within a week, though they had me take it easy for a while longer than that. I still have quite a bit of pain in my neck and right shoulder. I don't know if that will ever go away. Probably not since I also have degenerative arthritis there. In addition to the degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine, I have it in my lumbar spine as well, but not bad enough to warrant any intervention yet. Getting old is so much fun, and I'm not even that old yet.

Don't retire voluntarily. Let them medically retire you instead. I'll never forgive myself for not letting my MEB go forward and having the military retire me medically instead of just retiring on my own. My disability case with the VA would be far simpler had I let them retire me medically instead.
    Did you ask them to give you a new spine? Kidding, of course... Jeez, you're broken up pretty bad, Rhino. Right now, the AF is rolling out a big force reduction program(s) that will cut out 25K people in five years. Anything and everything in your record can put you on the chopping block and I would likely be booted out in some shape or another. Issue is, if I wanted to try to get MEB'd out... I'd have to re-enlist. I'm just short of eight years and I don't want to risk being in for another four, dealing with this BS. The VA is already back-logged 12+ months and with this reduction program their going to be 18+ months behind so no matter what I do... it's going to take awhile to get the disability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Did you ask them to give you a new spine? Kidding, of course... Jeez, you're broken up pretty bad, Rhino. Right now, the AF is rolling out a big force reduction program(s) that will cut out 25K people in five years. Anything and everything in your record can put you on the chopping block and I would likely be booted out in some shape or another. Issue is, if I wanted to try to get MEB'd out... I'd have to re-enlist. I'm just short of eight years and I don't want to risk being in for another four, dealing with this BS. The VA is already back-logged 12+ months and with this reduction program their going to be 18+ months behind so no matter what I do... it's going to take awhile to get the disability.
    Oh. Too bad. Different story for me. I had 18 years in when I split my kneecap in half. That's what my MEB was for, not for my spine. The spine issues came after I retired from the Air Force. They did three surgeries on my knee and finally decided they couldn't put Humpty back together again. I'm permanently handicapped from that, and it gets worse as I get older. Another civilian ortho surgeon tried again a few years ago after telling me all the advancements that had been made in orthopedic surgery and that he was confident he'd be able to fix my knee. When I came out of surgery he told me the same thing the other docs had, that there was just too much damage. And then there's the hip I messed up falling down a flight of stairs...... So yeah, I'm broken up pretty bad.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Oh. Too bad. Different story for me. I had 18 years in when I split my kneecap in half. That's what my MEB was for, not for my spine. The spine issues came after I retired from the Air Force. They did three surgeries on my knee and finally decided they couldn't put Humpty back together again. I'm permanently handicapped from that, and it gets worse as I get older. Another civilian ortho surgeon tried again a few years ago after telling me all the advancements that had been made in orthopedic surgery and that he was confident he'd be able to fix my knee. When I came out of surgery he told me the same thing the other docs had, that there was just too much damage. And then there's the hip I messed up falling down a flight of stairs...... So yeah, I'm broken up pretty bad.
    How in the hell did you split your knee cap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Doc, I broke my arm in two places... Well I recommend you stay out of those places.
    Good luck on the surgery. Take the recovery nice and easy if you can.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast