Well, after nearly three years of trying... - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, after nearly three years of trying...

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    How in the hell did you split your knee cap?
    Slipped on ice and came down the wrong way.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Slipped on ice and came down the wrong way.
    That sounds like a bad day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

That sounds like a bad day...
    Not my best. I was quite happy after they shot me up with drugs, but what happened in between those two events was a nightmare, not that everything since then has been a picnic. There were some amusing moments though. You know that many x-ray technicians can technically get in trouble if they tell you if something's broken, because that's a diagnosis and only doctors can legally diagnose. They also have to check the x-ray for clarity before sending it back to the doctor. The technician who took my x-ray that night didn't look at the film until he came back into the room and stuck it up on the light box next to the gurney I was on. His eyes popped open and he said "WHOA!!!"

I said "What? Is it broken?"

He said, "I can't tell you that. But you see this piece and this piece here? That's your kneecap, and it's supposed to be one piece ..... I've never seen anybody do that before."

Later on they asked my permission to use my x-rays in their training program, because they didn't get to see "neat stuff" like that except back in tech school.

Now I'm physically unable to run or squat. I can't do stairs or hills (up or down) without pain, can't walk long distances, sometimes can't do short distances (I never know for sure), and just getting in or out of a chair is a painful experience. And all this is getting worse as I age, but they told me it would. Not all of that is from the fracture though. A few months after the reconstructive surgery, the hardware they used to put everything back together came loose and tore through a lot of the tissue in my knee, causing even more damage. When they went in to fix that they discovered my kneecap hadn't healed right and had a ridge on it that had caused damage as well. All in all I've had four surgeries, but there really isn't anything more they can do for me.

And before anyone here asks the question, because I get asked all the time, no, a knee replacement won't help me. Most of the damage I have isn't in the places that a knee replacement provides fixes.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams

I'm alive... still in the hospital. Doc says the procedure went well with nothing unexpected and will be home tomorrow at the latest. That's all... as you were.
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

Cool. Congrats and best wishes for recovery.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I'm alive... still in the hospital. Doc says the procedure went well with nothing unexpected and will be home tomorrow at the latest. That's all... as you were.
    Prayin' for ya Little Brother, whether you like it or not.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Glad the procedure went well. Here's to a successful recovery as well. *holds up glass*
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I've been home since Thursday night and getting along alright. I can get around with a brace and a cane (mostly for getting up), the pain is tolerable and the incision is healing. I have 23 staples across about 3 1/2" and I'm out of work for another six weeks...

Thanks for the best wishes and prayers (even you, Blues!) and I'll start checking in more often over the next few weeks.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I've been home since Thursday night and getting along alright. I can get around with a brace and a cane (mostly for getting up), the pain is tolerable and the incision is healing. I have 23 staples across about 3 1/2" and I'm out of work for another six weeks...

Thanks for the best wishes and prayers (even you, Blues!) and I'll start checking in more often over the next few weeks.
    You're quite welcome.

Coincidentally, I had to start gettin' around with a cane myself here lately because of plantar faciitis in my left foot. Not being one to settle for the first thing I saw, I started shopping for something handmade or otherwise interesting and unique, and ended up with a Cold Steel Heavy Duty Sword Cane! LOL I have absolutely no use for the sword, but as it turned out, the CS cane itself was taller than the average run of the mill cane (38" vs. 36" or so on average), and the place I ordered it from does laser engraving for a very reasonable added price, so I got "Don't Tread On Me" etched on the sword just up by the hilt.

Now, that was cool and all, and even though the blade was only to feed my knife collector's passion, it really is a very functional and decent-sized cane for me. BUT, two days after I ordered it, I got a notice for jury duty! Can't take my sword cane into the courthouse, and I gotta report one week from tomorrow (on the 28th), so I just got done ordering another one. Less than 1/4 the price of the CS one, but it also adjusts for height up to about 40" and has a padded "Derby" handle, so I'll be stylin' like a right proper English gentleman when I hit the voir dire interview next week. LOL

Get well soon bro. Still sendin' prayers.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Glad to hear you are moving in a positive direction. Recover well.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast