Well, after nearly three years of trying...
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, after nearly three years of trying...

Thumbs up Well, after nearly three years of trying...

I was finally referred to see a neurosurgeon to repair my herniation of the disc between L5 and S1! After being in and out of physical therapy, different pain medications and asking for an MRI... I saw a new doctor who sent me right away to get imagery done last Friday. We met today and he laid it out for me and wondered why the hell it took this long to get the MRI. So, I'm awaiting the referral to see one here in town and go from there. I have less then a year left on active duty so the sooner the better, I can spend the last six or seven months of enlistment recovering before I separate and begin school.

Who here has had the same or similar surgery, what can you tell me about your experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

3. I have at least 3 bulging and or herniated discs,i feel your pain brother,let us know how the surgery works for you

4. I herniated the L4-L5 disk a few years ago. PT did the trick for me. As long as I do the exercises, I do fine. When I slack off (as usual), my back gets stiff. Surgeon opted for PT instead of cutting at that time. I have heard good and bad for the surgery. Hope things work out for you.

Bob, be careful what you wish for. I serve 19+ years active and reserve. In the beginning of my 20th year, I injured my back as a traditional reservist. On duty. In the line of duty. On active duty orders for more than 30 days. End result. MEB. Not fit to serve. See you later. Not hurt enough for active duty retirement and no civilian job out there. Ugh.
    Good surgeon. The radiating down my leg pains never returned. I lost some range of motion--it is slowly improving. My back still hurts every day and I know which days I don't take the anti inflammatory meds. The service paid for surgery. And three months of time after. I have a job now. I think the surgery helped-but it wasn't a return to normalcy.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I was finally referred to see a neurosurgeon to repair my herniation of the disk between L5 and S1! After being in and out of physical therapy, different pain medications and asking for an MRI... I saw a new doctor who sent me right away to get imagery done last Friday. We met today and he laid it out for me and wondered why the hell it took this long to get the MRI. So, I'm awaiting the referral to see one here in town and go from there. I have less then a year left on active duty so the sooner the better, I can spend the last six or seven months of enlistment recovering before I separate and begin school.

Who here has had the same or similar surgery, what can you tell me about your experience?
    Good luck, Gunner, BTW, you need to MAKE SURE all of this is documented in your service records in case you ever need to service-connect it for the VA.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

7. 5 bulging disks here, three lower back, two cervical. Constant pain, numbness. My dad had 8 back surgeries and 3 neck. Every one was a failure. He had osteomyelitis, arthritis, lost leg bones (replaced).

So much pain anything would set him off into a stark raving maniac who liked to terrorize his 8 kids, me included.

He finally found relief after a terminal leukemia diagnosis by committing suicide with a .22 caliber rifle. For his sake, I wished he had used a larger caliber.

So there you have it. I'm not having any surgery done until I can't get out of bed or can only walk backwards (don't laugh, I've had to do that several times when my back went out!).

Maybe other surgery recipients may chime-in with their knowledge and outcomes.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I was finally referred to see a neurosurgeon to repair my herniation of the disk between L5 and S1! After being in and out of physical therapy, different pain medications and asking for an MRI... I saw a new doctor who sent me right away to get imagery done last Friday. We met today and he laid it out for me and wondered why the hell it took this long to get the MRI. So, I'm awaiting the referral to see one here in town and go from there. I have less then a year left on active duty so the sooner the better, I can spend the last six or seven months of enlistment recovering before I separate and begin school.

I have degenerative disc disease and had L3 thru S1 fused in '02. I'm not sure if fusion is the kind of surgery you'll have for a herniated disc though. Do you know yet what the general repair job consists of? If it's fusion, I can tell you a lot about it. If it's something else, I could still tell you what I went through (which wasn't fun at all, even with all the high-grade pharmaceuticals), but it would just be like me sniveling about a surgery that doesn't apply to what you're preparing for. LOL

Either way, I hope all goes well for you. Let me know if it's fusion and I can tell you a bit about what you should expect.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I've got a bulging disk at L4-L5 with a pinched sciatic nerve. So far I haven't had to have surgery. Initially they tried me on PT for the pain and that did not help at all. In fact it made everything worse. Then I got the MRI that showed the L4-L5 problem and pinched nerve. I was referred to a back surgeon who sent me to a pain management doc who has been shooting me with a steroid. The first time it worked for about 6 months. The next time for 14 months. This last time - about a month ago - doesn't seem to be working as well. I may have to go back to the surgeon. Waiting to see. I'll give it about 2 months to see it the shots really helped or not. I don't really want the surgeon cutting on me, so it is a wait and see for now.
    Good luck to you and, yes, make sure you get it all documented and get your own copy of your medical record before you get out. Records have been lost before.

Thanks for the replies. I won't know for sure what the next course of action is until I meet with the surgeon, but my doc and I discussed a microdisectomy... he thought it would be the likely procedure. However, I could get there and the surgeon may want to try steroids first... idk. I'll be sure to update the forum after the first surgeon visit.

Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    5 bulging disks here, three lower back, two cervical. Constant pain, numbness. My dad had 8 back surgeries and 3 neck. Everyone was a failure. He had osteomyelitis, arthritis, lost leg bones (replaced).

So much pain anything would set him off into a stark raving maniac who liked to terrorize his 8 kids, me included.

He finally found relief after a terminal leukemia diagnosis by committing suicide with a .22 caliber rifle. For his sake, I wished he had used a larger caliber.

So there you have it. I'm not having any surgery done until I can't get out of bed or can only walk backwards (don't laugh, I've had to do that several times when my back went out!).

Maybe other surgery recipients may chime-in with their knowledge and outcomes.
    Sh!t, man... that's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I have degenerative disc disease and had L3 thru S1 fused in '02. I'm not sure if fusion is the kind of surgery you'll have for a herniated disc though. Do you know yet what the general repair job consists of? If it's fusion, I can tell you a lot about it. If it's something else, I could still tell you what I went through (which wasn't fun at all, even with all the high-grade pharmaceuticals), but it would just be like me sniveling about a surgery that doesn't apply to what you're preparing for. LOL

Either way, I hope all goes well for you. Let me know if it's fusion and I can tell you a bit about what you should expect.

Blues
    Thanks Blues, I don't think they'll fuse anything... but, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Jinnette View Post
    I've got a bulging disk at L4-L5 with a pinched sciatic nerve. So far I haven't had to have surgery. Initially they tried me on PT for the pain and that did not help at all. In fact it made everything worse. Then I got the MRI that showed the L4-L5 problem and pinched nerve. I was referred to a back surgeon who sent me to a pain management doc who has been shooting me with a steroid. The first time it worked for about 6 months. The next time for 14 months. This last time - about a month ago - doesn't seem to be working as well. I may have to go back to the surgeon. Waiting to see. I'll give it about 2 months to see it the shots really helped or not. I don't really want the surgeon cutting on me, so it is a wait and see for now.
    Good luck to you and, yes, make sure you get it all documented and get your own copy of your medical record before you get out. Records have been lost before.
    I'm not thrilled about going under the knife either... but, if that is what needs to be done I'd like to get it over with. Oh yeah... I'm making sure the records include this stuff. I request my records from time to time to make sure everything's in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

The surgery works for the majority of people, it didn't help me. The disc ruptured again a week later, and they wouldn't touch it again. Of course the injury preceded the surgery by 8 months thanks to the insurance company playing games.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast