Dealing With Unstable People On The Internet (Internet Opsec) - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing With Unstable People On The Internet (Internet Opsec)

I am on this forum and Facebook and post some pictures. Being an old bird, I don't find many people trying to friend me I don't know or they have friends in common with me. Before I respond on the friend request, I go to their profile to try to get a clue why they were friending me. So far, I have cancelled all unsolicited friend requests as it is apparent the young chicks have nothing in common with this turkey.
    -----Seriously, there are ways you can post on Facebook and protect your info. In your profile, much of the data you can leave blank. Or you can specify to not show certain info. Any pictures you post you can identify who can see them, such as "Family" or "Friends". Anyone else coming upon your page would see there were pictures posted but would not be able to see any. However, most law enforcement or those in the business would suggest, especially for women, it is better to be careful of any postings, pictures or details such as "updates" showing you checking in some place. I do not post any of my whereabouts except as after the fact as I do not want to advertise my home is empty.
    ------My brother was getting unwanted solicitations and he sent messages to me and family he wanted to continue contact with and had us identfy him as private so only those he identified on his end and we did the same on ours could access his FB page.
    Dave "The said Constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams

I'm a published author. Kinda hard to hide if somebody really wants to find me. So far no one has.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Really ? thatís your take away from this?
    Isnít the reason you carry a gun because you never know when you might need it?
    Nah, I don't usually carry anything. Only if I'm carrying money or in a bad area.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I figured out the hard way to just duck out of a convo when someone starts getting overly emotional.

How do you know I am not the unstable one, I take no extra precautions, if you want to find people you can not very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    How do you know I am not the unstable one, I take no extra precautions, if you want to find people you can not very difficult.
    Isn't that kinda my point?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Nah, I don't usually carry anything. Only if I'm carrying money or in a bad area.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

9. I may not be the proverbial spring chicken, but I am technologically savvy beyond belief. For example, I don't do anything at all on the internet--just on my computers. And I make sure they are always in places surrounded by metal, some of which is probably grounded, to ensure that nobody can hack them.

Blog Entries
    We all know that the internet is full of unstable people and we have folks that take their online lives entirely too seriously. Back when my email used to be visible on my forum (wonít say which forum) profile I used to get random email from people I didnít know telling me that they were going to be in town for the night and hey would I mind if they crashed on my couch? (Ummm yeah, I would). I once made the mistake of quoting a coworker (nationally known hunting writer) who liked to Google himself and had him show up at work the next day demanding that I remove his name from my post on another forum ( I still threaten to out him as a PeTA creep periodically just for fun).

There are also a couple of moon bats out there that I have no problem believing would show up at my church or my place of employment to "take vengeance" if they could visually identify me. (Like I said there really are a lot of unstable people in this world who invest entirely to much into their online lives).

My question is what measures (if any) do you take to insulate your online life from the real world? Do you take extra precautions to ensure that the two worlds never meet?

In my 6 year online career I have shown 1 photograph of my self and it was 20 years old and I have actually met FTF with one person from the net. I donít put my photo out there, I donít ďcheck inĒ on face book, I donít post photos with identifiable backgrounds in them and I never post pictures of my home, car or family.
    First of all, I don't jump from one forum to the next starting junk with people...you make friends easy huh?
    Really ? thatís your take away from this?
    Isnít the reason you carry a gun because you never know when you might need it?
    I think what he is getting at is...none of us have this problem. Just you. Maybe you should look into the other solution to your problem...quit being an ass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I don't even know what money looks like. I conduct all my business with chickens and beads.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast