Dealing With Unstable People On The Internet (Internet Opsec) - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing With Unstable People On The Internet (Internet Opsec)

If they can identify me from my shark photos they know me and will leave me alone.

Frankly I try to treat everyone with respect and it works for me. Well, I guess I'm not too respectful of some political types but I'm not a big enough fish for them to want to fry. Simply by avoiding pissing contests most respond in kind. If I was getting that much hate messaging I would sit down and evaluate whether I was just being a pain in the a$$ or if I was trying to positively impact others with my comments. If it were the former I'd tone it down a notch. When enough others look at me that way I say it is time for a bit of introspection. OF course it ain't paranoia if they really are out to gitcha (thanks for the quote Mr. Will Rogers - not in "" "" because I'm sure I biffed the quote). Sometimes the only message heard must be blunt. In that case you just have to decide to take the heat.

More and more I say screw'em. See? Time for some more introspection

All that said, I am what I am and I'm not changing to make some idiot feel better about him or herself.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

I don't invest in anything like facebook, my space, etc. Personally, from what I have seen of those sites, they are comprised of self-absorbed twits who feel it is necessary to let the whole world know how important they are. Drivel!!!

I don't like my photograph being taken, let alone being put online. The only reason I am here on this forum is because, for the most part, I have found like-minded people and, for the most part, I have received good information. In addition, I have been able to help those who are trying to better themselves in the firearms realm, which I feel is dutiful as a firearms owner.

Therefore, to address your question, I divorce myself from these two realms. If I find someone that I feel I can trust through much conversation that has not contradicted itself and that person is in agreement with my ideologies then I could entertain the possibility of meeting up with that person if they were in the area, but it would be in a neutral location. Hmmmm, this is the way I am with people I meet in real life too... ultra cautious and situationally aware.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    I figured out the hard way to just duck out of a convo when someone starts getting overly emotional.
    Smart... very smart!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I think it's pretty funny that the OP posted his paranoid ramblings on the same day he claimed I was his "own personal stalker," first at the site linked in his sig, and a few minutes later, copied and pasted here, but whatever, I'll answer the question(s).

I got online in '97 at the urgings of a (late) close friend, Joseph "Red Dog" Campbell, who was the first employee (roadie) of the newly-formed Allman Brothers Band in 1969. In '96/'97, he kept telling me how the band's website was growing by leaps and bounds and he was making all kinds of new friends from the forums and chat room that was active at the time. Within a year of going online and joining the website, we had held concert pre-parties and jam sessions in our coffee shop in the afternoons before two different ABB concerts that were in town, and started hosting the website's meet-'n-greets for related bands including Gvm't Mule, The Derek Trucks Band, Susan Tedeschi, and Jimmy Hall among others. Pictures of these events are all over the internet. Videos too. Another close friend, whom I met early-on at the ABB website, and I have been putting on a tribute jam session in memory of Duane Allman since 2000 called "The Jam For Duane." Most of you probably don't know that Duane started his career here in Alabama at Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals. He was a session player and Honorary Member of "The Swampers," the rhythm section that backed up so many artists that to this day, if you ask one of them, "Hey man, are you playing on that track?" they will most likely answer, "I don't have a clue." We've had all of the above-mentioned bands participate at the Jam For Duane over the years, plus what's left of the original Swampers, David Hood, Scott Boyer and Paul Hornsby. Most of the old Capricorn label band members who knew and recorded with Duane have come to pay tribute to him. The man responsible for recording, editing, and mixing "Live at Fillmore East," Johnny Sandlin, has been there eight out of the 12 years we've been doing it, and three of those years he brought his own band, "The Capricorn Rhythm Section," to play for Duane's fans. The first Jam in 2000 was in my best friend's home-town at an historic old railway depot and we had maybe 50 people there, about 1/2 and 1/2 players and listeners, and all from the internet. Since then, the Jam has umm...mushroomed with as many as 1,500 people coming to small-town Bama to party and jam with us, averaging around 500 or so most years, all having heard about it through one internet site or another. We've had players from Germany, Japan, Mexico and Canada, and every state in the Union has been represented multiple times.

Nearly all my and my wife's family is passed away. While at home we pretty much keep to ourselves. But because of our passion for music and an almost life-long friendship within the inner circle of the ABB organization, we went online for the express purpose of meeting the fans and being part of the ABB "community." A ridiculously loose estimate of the people we've met from internet participation is in the 5,000 to 10,000 range. Besides the friends we had before moving to Bama in '92, and the ones we've made through our coffee shop and the local jam sessions we used to hold there, nearly all of our closest friends are people we met through the internet.

The Jam this year is in a couple of weeks on Saturday, September 7th in Gadsden, AL. Anyone interested in attending is welcome. I ain't a'skeerd of none of ya's!

Oh, and the paranoid OP can relax - there are no ABB dates at Red Rocks this year, so you're safe from me.

Eat A Peach For Peace,

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    The Jam this year is in a couple of weeks on Saturday, Aug. 7th......
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

If you attract the type of people who would do you harm maybe you should think about that.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    HA! Oops. Thanks, I fixed it.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Too bad I can't come down. Got an uncle in Pell City and I grew up in Mississippi. It's always nice to head back down that way. Moving to Tennessee in two years though. YIPPEE!!!!
    This is the view from the back of the property we just bought:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread.......
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Google search myself once in a while, haven't come up at all, nice to be 'common'. Facebook friends really are. My rule for that is only people whom I have actually either been to their house, or they to mine. Most are family from out of town to keep up with and friends that don't live real close.

Hell, my real job would cause me more grief than my internet activity. One of the reasons keep work and home separate.

Attachment 10251

I don't know what y'all are talking about with this paranoia stuff. I don't mind having my picture posted and I am not worried about being bothered by anyone. I am so nondescript that you would never know me from anyone else out there! Lighten up folks!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast