Dealing With Unstable People On The Internet (Internet Opsec) - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Dealing With Unstable People On The Internet (Internet Opsec)

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    We all know that the internet is full of unstable people and we have folks that take their online lives entirely too seriously. Back when my email used to be visible on my forum (won’t say which forum) profile I used to get random email from people I didn’t know telling me that they were going to be in town for the night and hey would I mind if they crashed on my couch? (Ummm yeah, I would). I once made the mistake of quoting a coworker (nationally known hunting writer) who liked to Google himself and had him show up at work the next day demanding that I remove his name from my post on another forum ( I still threaten to out him as a PeTA creep periodically just for fun).

There are also a couple of moon bats out there that I have no problem believing would show up at my church or my place of employment to "take vengeance" if they could visually identify me. (Like I said there really are a lot of unstable people in this world who invest entirely to much into their online lives).

My question is what measures (if any) do you take to insulate your online life from the real world? Do you take extra precautions to ensure that the two worlds never meet?

In my 6 year online career I have shown 1 photograph of my self and it was 20 years old and I have actually met FTF with one person from the net. I don’t put my photo out there, I don’t “check in” on face book, I don’t post photos with identifiable backgrounds in them and I never post pictures of my home, car or family.
    First off...you never provide enough information on the internet that people can Google you. That is an absolute no..no. 6 years on the internet should be instructive enough to learn how to keep your private life filtered. I first got on the internet when AOL started up. My AOL password is 4 digits of the exact number and sequence I wanted...so I been floating around cyber space for 20 plus years now. Nobody stalks me on or off line.

One way I avoid trouble is if I think it necessary I do create a new profile under a different pseudonym and email account. I also will just stay logged off of some forums for long periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    APerhaps you'd find more in common with folks like you at another forum.
    I find disabusing hillbilly's of some of their misguided thought patterns to be a worthwhile endeavor. It may potentially reduce the footprint of bad behavior that subset of the gun owner population makes on the majority of us well-mannered, knowledgeable moderate gun rights people.

For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    How's the weather on your planet?

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.
    Looks like the enemy is somewhere near his colon.

Quote Originally Posted by kwimby View Post
    I find disabusing hillbilly's of some of their misguided thought patterns to be a worthwhile endeavor. It may potentially reduce the footprint of bad behavior that subset of the gun owner population makes on the majority of us well-mannered, knowledgeable moderate gun rights people.

For example:

Looks like the enemy is somewhere near his colon.
    Uranus...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    What is your major malfunction? Didn't you get enough love as a child?
    The above post by you should be your signature!
    You throw that same phrase out so often that it is SOOO old!

FYI: I am 49, have a lovely home that I share with my wonderful wife and dogs.
    Maybe YOU need to get out of your mothers basement and get a life....

I think that it's human nature to assume that everyone is basically the same as we are. Many of us have overcome that assumption, but there are a lot of jurors -and stungun - who haven't figured it out. Stungun, say "hi!" to mom next time you see daylight...
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    We all know that the internet is full of unstable people and we have folks that take their online lives entirely too seriously.
    The world is full of unstable people, they are just more brazen on the internet.

As my career was in technology, thus I have been on the internet since the mid-90's, but have always viewed it the same way I view any stranger. Before that I frequented a number of BBS's (Bulletin Board Systems), so I have been on-line long before the internet was made public. I have never posted personal information or photo's anywhere on the internet, or even professional sites where membership is required and only people in the field have access. It is also the only site where I use my actual name.

I don't post pictures of family, not even the dogs. If I do post a picture I verify that GPS data is not included in the image file.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

From the wiki:
    • "Demographics are the quantifiable statistics of a given population. Demographics is also used to identify the study of quantifiable subsets within a given population which characterize that population at a specific point in time."

Perhaps you will someday realize that generalities and absolutes are aspects of conversation particularly abused by people with limited knowledge.

You will find the quantifiable statistics of the population of all gun owners contains a subset of mamma bunker boys that is statistically larger than the population at large. That is a fact, bubba. Live with it. The car crowd has some subsets too. Mamma bunker boys is not a statistically significant one in that group.

That's the truth of the point he was making. Chew on it for awhile, bud.
    Kwimby... Cite your rationale. And WIKI is not a source. But if it's on WIKI it must be true, right? Is there a subset? Yes. Does the generalization represent all gun owners? Absolutely not. Find some study that makes the point true or... Thanks for making my point.
    Well, I'm no hillbilly. Don't think I've ever seen one in NY. But your purpose for posting on this forum is quite clear. You really do belong over at MAIG or BRADY.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Howdy dgifted,

Quote Originally Posted by dgifted View Post
    I don't know what gun forums you have been on but it can't have been more than a cursory look. I don't know of one "tin-foil hat" member on here unless it is you. I belong to several gun forums and, except for a rare OP that doesn't seem to do more than post one wild statement like yours never to be heard from again, I haven't run into one that was a "40-something still living with the Mom and a Command Post in the basement". Most of those on this forum are fantastic, patriotic, freedom loving, knowledgeable and very savvy individuals, men and women, of many ages. We are here to share, to teach or to learn. We know the seriousness of making a commitment to carry and understand that learning and training to be proficient is part of that commitment. Those who are regulars on here are always willing to help a person new to firearms or to carry and answer any questions they may have. We are active citizens of this great country and, we have every right to discuss with others if we disagree with decisions being made by our politicians, irregardless of their party affiliation.
    -----As a trained lifelong historian, I can attest that our Founding Fathers urged all those who followed them to be vigilant of our elected leaders. They understood that many times throughout history all great powers downfall began when their political leaders stopped being responsive to the citizens and abused their powers. Some of us are concerned that too many in both parties have forgotten their powers are from the citizens. You don't have to agree, but don't dismiss our concerns thinking we have no right to them.
    -----Although I don't have local regulars on this forum to create a local show or sit down at their place like you mentioned for the car shows, I have had invitations to "come by and shoot with me" from some across this country. As far as gun shows, in my neck of the woods, those attending have consistently been respectful of exhibiters and others attending the show. Many times I have had someone tell me about their firearm like the one I would be checking and I have done the same for others. And, I can't speak for your part of the country but those in my town that attend gun shows are private citizens, LEO, couples, many women, single and as a couple, some families, all colors, military, young adult and senior citizen. I haven't seen one person with a "tin-foil hat". Yes, I would venture to say average people with families and mortgages, etc. Your car clubs don't hold a corner on these "normal everyday folks". Just as your car owners enjoy tinkering with their cars to make them special, we "normal" gun owners on this forum and at local gun shows enjoy finding that special gun, maybe "tricking" it out with something special and becoming proficient with it.
    -----As already mentioned, if you don't like this or other gun forums, nobody is forcing you to be part of them or our forum. You have the option of being respectful to those posting here. But I think most on this forum will not accept your condemnation that "we" have a problem.
    Gee, I was almost convinced by your post that there are NOT any "tinfoil hat" people I e the world, especially on this forum until I noticed that in the OT section 11 of the 20 threads on the first page were started by the same member that several other member have stated was part of the "tinfoil hat" crowd.

Sunday when I was shopping with my Wife at WalMart we meet 2 men ( I work with both of them ) that we've known for +10 years that are part of the "+40yo SWM that live with their Mom and have a "Command Post" in the basement" crowd. Neither has ever been married and to older of the two is 53yo and recently proclaimed the he did NOT live with his mother.

I was shocked. I asked him if he had moved out and got his own place. He replied "No. I still live in the same place."

Me "What about your Mom?"

53yo SWM "Oh, I had to put Mom in the nursing home."

He still lives in the same bedroom as he did when he was 10yo, but he has a 12ga Street Sweeper, several AKs and ARs, a FN FAL, twin Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454s that he carries in a double shoulder holster, and a house full of other guns.

Both believe that Obama is the Anti-Christ and will declare Martial Law before the Nov 2016 election and will bring in UN troops from Muslim countries to enforce martial law and disarm America.

I don't think either are members of these or any forums because Obama/Big Brother/NSA and other top secret groups are spying on them. Either have smart phones, home phones, sat or cable TV and they go to the public library or free wifi to surf the 'Net.

It's/they are scary.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Dealing With Unstable People On The Internet (Internet Opsec)

Am I the only one who sees the irony of this thread?

Howdy,

Go to this thread:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/polit...il-unrest.html

Now, explain that there are NOT any "tinfoil hat" people on this forum.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

Go to this thread:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/polit...il-unrest.html

Now, explain that there are NOT any "tinfoil hat" people on this forum.

Paul
    Dunno about tin foil hats, but there sure seems to be plenty of cretins.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast