Common Core Standards
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Core Standards

Common Core Standards

There have been some on these forums that have criticized the Common Core Standards and I have noticed that a lot of folks don't seem to understand what they are.

In a nutshell they are two sets of standards (one for English/Language Arts and the other for Mathematics). All the standards are is exactly what the name implies, standards that students need to reach. They are NOT curriculum (that is designed by the departments within the school district), they are not assignments (designed by the teachers), and they are not activities (also designed by the teachers).

I have provided a link so you may peruse exactly what the standards say. They also verify what I have said that they are not assignments, curriculum, or activities. They only provide the framework for the individual schools to create the curriculum, and the teachers to implement the curriculum and provide the assignments and activities to teach the curriculum that the school designed.
    State Academic Standards Click the link that is for English/Language Arts or Mathematics for that particular Common Core.

Here is also a link of one states results after three years of implementation.
    NBCNews.com Video Player
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Common Core is NOT a good thing. Repeat..It is NOT good for the education system. It is in innocent enough on the surface but the things that are snuck into the curriculum through Common Core are not!!!!!! Also a link to propaganda is not proof that Common Core is worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ares338 View Post
    Common Core is NOT a good thing. Repeat..It is NOT good for the education system. It is in innocent enough on the surface but the things that are snuck into the curriculum through Common Core are not!!!!!! Also a link to propaganda is not proof that Common Core is worthy.
    Your post shows your ignorance as to what they are. They are not curriculum. Please read the standards. I provided a link to the ACTUAL standards, not propaganda.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    Good info, but most won't care. They would rather blather on (and on, and on...) about the insidious evils of anything school-related originating from any place other than the state and local school boards even though (or may because!) local autonomy guarantees continued production of non-critical non-thinkers. They exemplify conspicuous ignorance: ignorance flaunted as if it's a badge of honor.
    That's funny, b/c the federal government you love so much has been doing this exact thing for generations. Perhaps, you've been had.... hmm, seems like an affirmative on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I just have no idea how 10th graders needing to understand certain algebraic principals is an "insidious plan of the Federal government". Damn them... maybe if the students learn math, they will understand that the statistics that the government provides are false and inaccurate.

I provided the links to the standards. Please, I invite you to read them and show me where the evil shadow is lurking in these standards. Like I said, I have poured through the math standards since this affects me in my teaching and there is nothing out of the ordinary that I have seen. However, I'm human and have made mistakes. If you can find something that should be alarming to me, please point it out. I'd love to know so I can share it with my colleagues.

Regardless of one's stance on our educational processes in this country, we have been being "dumbed down" for quite some time. John D. Rockerfeller said in 1903, "I don't want a nation of thinkers. I want a nation of workers." In other words, he just wanted drones. H. L. Mencken said, "The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all, it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality." That has been proven over and over again by standards being lowered every year and the pass/fail process eliminated in order to not hurt the feelings of our little fledgling drones. In other words, we are all equal (even if we are all dumb as crap). I ran across the internet site, StopTheCrime and read many items that show we have been victimized by the "elite, upper ruling class" One article I found particularly interesting was Silent Weapons of Quiet War. This article is supposed to have been a "secret" document adopted by the Bilderburg Group Policy Committee in 1954. It enumerates a myriad of plans to be instituted and detrimental to the average citizen. One part I found particularly disturbing was this statement "The quality of education given to the lower class must be of the poorest sort, so that the moat of ignorance isolating the inferior class from the superior class is, and remains, incomprehensible to the inferior class. With such an initial handicap, even bright lower class individuals have little if any hope of extricating themselves from their assigned lot in life. This form of slavery is essential to maintain some measure of social order, peace and tranquility for THE RULING UPPER CLASS. That is the New World Order being foisted on us. That, in a nutshell, is the reason I do not trust local, state and federal educators because none can agree on quality standards and also gives them the opportunity to make a classification of children in accordance with guidelines such as these. The NWO does not want people being able to think for themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Regardless of one's stance on our educational processes in this country, we have been being "dumbed down" for quite some time. John D. Rockerfeller said in 1903, "I don't want a nation of thinkers. I want a nation of workers." In other words, he just wanted drones. H. L. Mencken said, "The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all, it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality." That has been proven over and over again by standards being lowered every year and the pass/fail process eliminated in order to not hurt the feelings of our little fledgling drones. In other words, we are all equal (even if we are all dumb as crap). I ran across the internet site, StopTheCrime and read many items that show we have been victimized by the "elite, upper ruling class" One article I found particularly interesting was Silent Weapons of Quiet War. This article is supposed to have been a "secret" document adopted by the Bilderburg Group Policy Committee in 1954. It enumerates a myriad of plans to be instituted and detrimental to the average citizen. One part I found particularly disturbing was this statement "The quality of education given to the lower class must be of the poorest sort, so that the moat of ignorance isolating the inferior class from the superior class is, and remains, incomprehensible to the inferior class. With such an initial handicap, even bright lower class individuals have little if any hope of extricating themselves from their assigned lot in life. This form of slavery is essential to maintain some measure of social order, peace and tranquility for THE RULING UPPER CLASS. That is the New World Order being foisted on us. That, in a nutshell, is the reason I do not trust local, state and federal educators because none can agree on quality standards and also gives them the opportunity to make a classification of children in accordance with guidelines such as these. The NWO does not want people being able to think for themselves!
    While I cannot argue much of what you said, the very start of public education was to get everyone to be like-minded. Ben Franklin even went on to state that it would be the best way to get the states to unify and become a nation if we educated them all alike, but it would take a generation. Public education has been doing that ever since.

However, from an insider's perspective we will never dumb down the truly gifted. I have seen this in all the schools I have taught at, urban and suburban. The gifted student will push forward regardless of the educational system and thank goodness for that. All the money and the coddling has been given to the "special education program". These students include anyone with a slight behavior problem (nothing to do with education or the ability to learn) to anyone with advanced learning disabilities and all those in-between. We lump them into one "special ed" program and give them all sorts of accommodations (more time for assignments and tests... less choices on multiple choice.... tests read to them... a special quiet room to take their tests... etc.). Its sickening. The group we have missed out on are the average students. The ones who have hard-working parents who refuse to let their kid become one of the "special". These kids work and try to do well. They aren't gifted, but they have a phenomenal work ethic. Unfortunately, this is the group that keeps dwindling since it's easier to get a "special" designation and not have to work as hard.

Now all the above has been happening over the years and people point to the teacher and say they are to blame. So there have been initiatives to get teachers to be more highly trained. In PA, a teacher must have a bachelors degree in the subject they are teaching and a master's degree (or equivalent number of credits) in education classes. In addition we need 180 hours of of continuing education credits per five year period. This can be done in a variety of ways, but most take additional college credits that are on our own dime. Now let's look at that definitively. I teach physics, which means that I needed to get a bachelor's degree in physics. The first physics class I took in college is at a higher level than anything offered at high school with the exception of the AP Physics C course, which is equal in level. But then I took an additional 50 credits of higher end physics. Complete overkill to train a teacher in a subject. Then I had to go to graduate school and take 30 credits of education classes that did absolutely nothing to train someone to be a good teacher. But the teacher can be regulated by law... the students not so much, and the parents absolutely not. The only ones getting smarter with the legislative rulings on how to "fix" education are the teachers since they are regulated to take more classes and continue to do so. Unfortunately, none of that helps the actual students, but it makes the public feel better once we "fix" those teachers. It's just like making laws about guns that control people. They never address the real problem. The educational system, IMO, really needs a complete overhauling.

However, none of this addresses the question at hand. What in the Common Core standards is insidious and damaging to students... what is alarming and should be addressed? I still invite everyone on this forum to click the above link to the standards and read through them and tell me what needs to be removed. Without any standards to guide the curriculum is more dangerous since then teacher can't be held accountable for what is taught.

I think people are frustrated with education in this country. I rightly agree with that. So much so, that late in life I became a teacher to try to fix things from within. However, I think the fight against the Common Core is a useless fight. They are just standards in math and English that students must attain by certain grade levels. They do not contain curriculum or assignments that teachers must follow. The curriculum that teachers create however, must get the the students to reach those minimum standards.

9. The common core standards are good as far as they go, and long overdue. But they need to be much stronger in history and science, despite the re-ignition of fierce resistance the conservative religious community has always demonstrated to standards in those areas, particularly if they come from a source they can't can't successfully exert pressure on.

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    The common core standards are good as far as they go, and long overdue. But they need to be much stronger in history and science, despite the re-ignition of fierce resistance the conservative religious community has always demonstrated to standards in those areas, particularly if they come from a source they can't can't successfully exert pressure on.
    The Common Core are only standards in English and Math. They were received three years ago and to my knowledge, there hasn't been a push for a common set of standards in history or the sciences across the country. There are National Standards in science (my field is physics) and states then guide their own standards using the National standards or not. Some states just adopt the National standards so they don't have to come up with their own. As far as history is concerned, I would have to look into it. However, in my tenure in teaching, the Common Core is one of the first times that most states adopted the same standards.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I think people are frustrated with education in this country. I rightly agree with that. So much so, that late in life I became a teacher to try to fix things from within. However, I think the fight against the Common Core is a useless fight. They are just standards in math and English that students must attain by certain grade levels. They do not contain curriculum or assignments that teachers must follow. The curriculum that teachers create however, must get the the students to reach those minimum standards.
    I don't really have a dog in this fight since we don't have kids, but I'm not so sure I can accept the innocuousness of the common core standards that you have, Wolf. I know without a doubt that if nosreme thinks they're great and wants them expanded to other subjects, it's a danger to state, local and individual sovereignty/autonomy.

Anyway, I saw this thread a few days ago, but this is the first time I've poked my head in to see what's going on. I did so because one of my subscriptions, News With Views, had an article on common core this morning, and it appears from mulling it over that the standards are indeed being prepped to expand to different subjects and contribute to the creation of national curricula. I would like for you to read it over and give your thoughts on whether or not common core was simply a first step towards that end, Wolf. I'm not challenging your take on its current influence(s), I'm just asking if it couldn't be used in the future the way that the article suggests is happening as we type.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast