Jesus Is Coming Soon (Oh Whatever!) - Page 12
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 145

Thread: Jesus Is Coming Soon (Oh Whatever!)

  1. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post

    Why, in general, do all religions scare the believers into believing? Just a though to go along with this one: Everyone has heard about hell and Damnation. It does seem like a nasty thing. But even an eternity in hell has some benefit in that your soul would still be intact, that is if you believe you posses a soul. If you really want to scare someone that believe in the whole soul thing, then a truly worse fate is having your soul move into nothingness. No after life, no hell, no purgatory, just nothing. Do the good Christian life and you get the reward of 'Heaven' or go to nothing. Bummer.
    Because fear is the strongest human emotion, and very difficult to control.

    Religion is born in fear, the ancient man sitting in his cave at night, listening to the predators of the night hunting prey, hoping the sun will return to eliminate the darkness and fear of the unknown in the dark, and to warm him.

    But what if the sun doesn't come back? Something or someone must control the sun, and what if it decides not to return the sun. Surely if I make this 'thing' that controls the sun mad it might not bring the sun back. So I will give it a name, and I will worship it and praise it cause I am afraid that if I don't the sun won't return.

    And thus in the incubator of fear and ignorance a god was born.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    And again, as we can see, it has become apparent that if Satan cannot get at us any other way, he will use his Mindless Spawn "Extraordinaire" like dad45acp, XD40scinNC, nosreme, nogods, maine04619,Kwimby,Gatherer & Scvette to[B][U] continue to rage and foolishly waste our time.
    Yep them facts and reality make us evil. Cause god is clear if you do not believe exactly what I say and do exactly what I say you are the evil spawn of satan. However as the very book you get you're marching orders from has been so heavy edited by the catholic church itself that the oldest versions found are nothing like the one we have today. Or the fact that they have killed billions of people through the years all the while explaining it as god's will. The largest evil we ever had on earth Hitler was killing all non "pure" Germans but guess what the vatican did. NOTHING they did not speak out against Hitler. They did not help any people even though they where bombarded with pleas for help. In 1939 the vatican did issue 3000 visas for Jews that had converted then revoked more then two thirds of them! Plus 7 did NOTHING to help a single Jew. How is that for gods work! Ustasha Genocide? And let us not forget about the church both supporting, covering up and allowing church leaders to molest kids all over the USA and not only ignoring it but moving them around to spread their evil pedophile ways in new communities over and over again. Then to top it off SUING the victims for speaking about it.

    Please tell me again how I am the evil son of satan..

    Of course I am sure you will respond with a bible verse written by some priest cloistered in a room writing books that where not even meant for the followers of the church as they church did not support educating the people to READ as they where not smart enough to interpret such matters. Opps there is that evil again.

    One should check the mirror before casting aspersions on others.

    Me I never supported any discrimination, molestation, beating, killing, terrorizing, exclusion, hatred or vilification of any of my fellow man. Sure I point out the fantasy of religion. Sure I call followers rational into question. However if they refuse to accept reality I would never condone killing them beating then until they do or raping their children. Maybe I have a stronger moral system then religion offers.

  4. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    The verifiable evidence of science.

    No, no hatred for the invisible sky daddy. I don't even care what fantasies about it in anyone's head, UNTIL the believe that they have the right to impose the unfathomable ignorance of this fairy tale on me and society through laws, and through the utter ignorance of wars based on their invisible sky daddy.

    Christians believe there is only one deity, yet they express disapproval of the actions of Muslims. Directed at the believers not the deity. Why, because the christian belief system tells them there is only god, so you don't hate the non-existant. Works the same way when an atheist expresses our disapproval of a christian or a muslim.
    Do I let them know I have a degree in physics and yet am a Christian too? According to their "evidence" this is inconceivable!! I was a non-believer for a long time. It was my understanding of, not only Earth, but the entire Universe that brought me to my belief. The more science reveals of the Universe, the more emboldened my belief becomes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  5. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Do I let them know I have a degree in physics and yet am a Christian too? According to their "evidence" this is inconceivable!! I was a non-believer for a long time. It was my understanding of, not only Earth, but the entire Universe that brought me to my belief. The more science reveals of the Universe, the more emboldened my belief becomes.
    I am educated in biology & astronomy. I was already a Christian before I went to college. But, the more I understood TRUE science and the misconceptions & fake science I saw coming from atheist trying to disprove creation, the more solid my FAITH became.

    I've tried to talk to people here and other places that say there is verifiable evidence against creation. But, they have never cited any of it. On the other hand, I have offered numerous sources from the scientific community that backs up Biblical teachings about Creation. It is blatantly obvious that some people aren't interested in true science. So, I just don't bother much anymore.

    I would love to take such conversations further with those that want to.


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  6. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I am educated in biology & astronomy. I was already a Christian before I went to college. But, the more I understood TRUE science and the misconceptions & fake science I saw coming from atheist trying to disprove creation, the more solid my FAITH became.

    I've tried to talk to people here and other places that say there is verifiable evidence against creation. But, they have never cited any of it. On the other hand, I have offered numerous sources from the scientific community that backs up Biblical teachings about Creation. It is blatantly obvious that some people aren't interested in true science. So, I just don't bother much anymore.

    I would love to take such conversations further with those that want to.


    -
    So is the earth 6,000 years old or 5B years old?
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  7. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Closer to 4.5 billion. You also have to remember different styles of prose. Most Christians do not agree to the 10,000 year old Earth that I'm assuming you are referring to.

    However, I did talk with an Orthodox Rabbi once who was convinced of the 10000 year old earth and came up with this: If God is omnipotent, and if God is omniscient, then is it not within the realm of what God can do to create Earth in a way such that it seems to be 4.5 billion years old. You may want to find someone like him to have your discussion with.

    I'm cool with the Earth being 4.5 billion years old, I'm cool with the Universe being just shy of 14 billions years old, I'm cool with current evolution theories (not Darwinism which even evolutionists no longer agree with) and I'm cool with the Big Bang Theory. There are some unanswered questions in those two theories, but for what science has figured out, I'm definitely OK with what is out there. The case and point is, how did it all get kick started? I have my answer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  8. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    We as fallible humans have a difficult time comprehending the concept of eternity. What we see in our physical three dimensional world is affected & limited by what is called time. God is eternal and in the dimension of eternity there exists nothing known as time. Time was given to us as a gift from God because without the limitations of time we could NOT reach a place where we could be reconciled back to HIM.

    Many people believe that Adam & Eve were created to live forever. But, after they sinned God took away the opportunity for them to live forever. If he hadn't done so, man would be forced to live throughout all eternity with no hope of ever being reconciled to God.

    When I first began studying astronomy I believed in a very old Earth and old Universe. But, there are a lot of problems with the science that supports this "Theory". There have been some very recent advances in science that are allowing us to learn more about how weather, natural phenomenon & acts of God can cause the appearance of long periods of time in the Earth's sentiment layers. The most recent science points to the possibility of a much younger Earth than we once thought.

    I have recommended two great books here before. They are really worth reading for anyone that in truly interested in the "science" of creation -vs- the faulty science of evolution. There are 100's more I'm sure. But these are written in away most people can understand without having a degree in the sciences.

    The first & easiest read is the book; "I don't have Enough Faith to be an Atheist".

    The next one is a bit harder to read & understand unless you has at least minimal understanding of Physics & other sciences.

    "Quantum Glory; The Science of Heaven Invading Earth"

    I challenge all unbelievers here and others that I talk with to at least read these two books with an "OPEN" mind. If you can put away your preconceived notions and anti-God prejudice, these books may change you life. (Contrary to popular belief, these books are full of actual & real science.)


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  9. #118
    tcox, how old do you say it is, in years, approximately?
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  10. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post

    I'm cool with the Earth being 4.5 billion years old, I'm cool with the Universe being just shy of 14 billions years old, I'm cool with current evolution theories (not Darwinism which even evolutionists no longer agree with) and I'm cool with the Big Bang Theory. There are some unanswered questions in those two theories, but for what science has figured out, I'm definitely OK with what is out there. The case and point is, how did it all get kick started? I have my answer.
    "god" is not an answer - it is a fill in the blank where there is no answer.

    Christians are a lot more like atheists than they are different. Christians, like atheists, don't believe in 10,000+ gods. The only difference is that atheist don't believe in one more than Christians.

    To be a Christian one has to:

    Believe there is a supreme being that created all that exists (either directly or through a mechanism like the big bang)

    Believe that there is only ONE such supernatural being. If the can be one, why can't there be 10? or 100? or 1000? or 10,000?

    Believe that the one supernatural being that was able to create all that exists had to impregnate one of the creatures it created in order to replicate itself. Now that's where it gets downright silly.

    Moreover, one should have concerns about a supernatural being that sends its son to suffer for the mess it created.

  11. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Moreover, one should have concerns about a supernatural being that sends its son to suffer for the mess it created.
    Another gross misunderstanding of scripture. I'm not attacking you NGs. But, the more I talk with atheists the more I really believe they don't have a good understanding of the WORD. I'm sure some of them try to twist & misuse scripture to their advantage. But, I always want to give them the benefit of doubt.

    This is what the scripture really says-

    John 1:1-14 (KJV)
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2
    The same was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
    5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
    7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
    8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
    9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
    10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
    11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
    12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
    14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.


    John 10:30 (KJV)
    30I and my Father are one.
    John 14:6-7 (KJV)
    6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
    John 14:10-11 (KJV)
    10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
    11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
    The scripture clearly teaches that is was GOD that became flesh. Jesus was the WORD. It was GOD Himself that paid the price for our sins. HE did this because of HIS great LOVE for us!


    John 3:16-17 (KJV)
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.


    We can discuss scripture or we can discuss the science that supports scripture. But, I'm tired of arguing with people who refuse to think for themselves. I always thought atheists believed science & reason was on their side. But, as of yet, I have seen nothing but anger & emotion coming from those that oppose Christ. (There is real unbiased data that point to intelligent design or creation. I have tried to point people to that data.)

    We can discuss science if you wish. But, we need to follow the rules of science to do so. The trouble is I have not been a able to get anyone to agree to simple things like:

    Truth exists -
    Truth can not be manufactured; only discovered -
    For every "affect" there MUST be cause- (The basic scientific law of causality.)

    But, I just don't see how we can have a constructive & beneficial conversation is we can't agree a few basic principles of science. We can discuss the cosmological data, the biological data, the archaeological data, the laws of physics involved, the evidence for macro evolution, or mathematical probabilities. But, we need to abide by true scientific principles on whatever we discuss; otherwise this conversation is kind of pointless.


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast