Jesus Is Coming Soon (Oh Whatever!) - Page 13
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 145

Thread: Jesus Is Coming Soon (Oh Whatever!)

  1. #121
    Yep, know that is what your book says, the problem is that the book (written by 10's to 100's of people, re-edited dozens of times, and translated hundreds of times) is just that a collection of short stories with zero credibility. In short, your source is worthless.

    It takes a great deal of denial of reason and totally blocking rational thought to read this tripe and not put it down thinking, "people actually believe this stuff?"
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  2.   
  3. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Yep, know that is what your book says, the problem is that the book (written by 10's to 100's of people, re-edited dozens of times, and translated hundreds of times) is just that a collection of short stories with zero credibility. In short, your source is worthless.

    It takes a great deal of denial of reason and totally blocking rational thought to read this tripe and not put it down thinking, "people actually believe this stuff?"
    Just another statement of ignorance. You just don't have a clue on how Bible Translation is done. It's easy to set back & snipe. But, it's a different thing to speak truths & facts. (That's something you don't know anything about evidently.)


    It's strange you speak of rational thought and scientific evidence. But, you won't even acknowledge that real science is about the discovery of truth and that TRUTH exists. You are so afraid of the TRUTH you refuse to participate a an intellectual discussion. The only discussion you will participate in is one that show how emotionally unstable and ignorant you really are.

    IMHO;
    You are just another scared rabbit who is afraid to look at the real TRUTH. If it were not so, you'd be willing to engage in a conversation at a more intellectual level. But, you won't even agree to do anything but make dumb snide comments. The funny thing is you are clueless to the fact your comments don't hurt the Christian view. They only show the complete ignorance & futility of your argument.

    I'll ask again-
    Why are you even visiting this thread?
    Why are you angry at someone you don't even believe in?
    Why do you feel it necessary to participate in such a thread when apparently God doesn't matter to you?

    You certainly are expending a LOT of energy on a subject you think is stupid.


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  4. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,810
    Once again, atheists thrive by being a parasite on Christianity, and mostly target the shortcomings of individuals. We can lead an atheist to evidence but we can't make them think, they are so opposed to anything linked to God that their hatred gets in the way of common sense. All lies begin with self-deceit. Satan is self-deceived and the father of all lies. Atheists being of their father the devil have the nearest alliance to Satan. The reason for an atheists resistance and rage is because God's word is truth, and the truth terrifies them. An awful state of degenerate man, atheists partake of the same principles and propensities which characterize the very nature and essence of their father the devil, it's no wonder that the greatest hope of these "Fools by Choice" is that there is no afterlife. When confronted with any debate an atheist is only able to issue negative commentary because, once again, the atheists hatred gets in the way of any common sense. If there were no God, there wouldn't be any atheists, because an atheist needs a God to argue against. If God actually didn't exist - there could be no working concept of theism, so the unbelieving atheist would have nothing to oppose. Because the sole purpose of an atheists existence revolves around attacking the validity of the Holy Bible, these "Fools by Choice" will never go away or shut up. As we can see, it has become apparent that if Satan cannot get at us any other way, he will use his Mindless Spawn "Extraordinaire", to continue to rage and foolishly waste our time.

    ~ In HELL Everyone Is A Believer...It's Just Too Late ~
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

  5. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    "god" is not an answer - it is a fill in the blank where there is no answer.

    Christians are a lot more like atheists than they are different. Christians, like atheists, don't believe in 10,000+ gods. The only difference is that atheist don't believe in one more than Christians.

    To be a Christian one has to:

    Believe there is a supreme being that created all that exists (either directly or through a mechanism like the big bang)

    Believe that there is only ONE such supernatural being. If the can be one, why can't there be 10? or 100? or 1000? or 10,000?

    Believe that the one supernatural being that was able to create all that exists had to impregnate one of the creatures it created in order to replicate itself. Now that's where it gets downright silly.

    Moreover, one should have concerns about a supernatural being that sends its son to suffer for the mess it created.

    There will always be more in this Universe that we cannot answer than man can answer. The only things science will never be able to answer is what started it all, because before the Big Bang, the laws of physics cannot apply since the physical Universe did not exist yet; and the other is, why did it all happen. Once you get to these questions, they can only be answered by either philosophy or theology, but not science. We just disagree on the philosophy and/or theology of this. And on that topic since we have no ground to debate from, it is no longer viable to continue arguing.

    Concerning what you think it is to be a Christian, you do have some misconceptions. 1) The Bible clearly tells us that there are other supernatural entities out there. Because He is holy, awesome, mighty, pure, and sovereign, He is worthy of worship. Because He is the creator, the sustainer, the redeemer, He is worthy of worship. Simply, because of who He is; He is worthy of worship. That is why it is recorded in Exodus 20:3, "You shall have no other gods before Me." It clearly says there are other gods, but the one true God is the only one worthy of worship. It is to Him alone that we are to give adoration, devotion, our trust and our worship.

    2) Once man turned away from God, even though we were once created in His image, we were in His image no longer. For God is the antithesis of sin. We now are sinful. The only way to be back in God's presence is to be able to attain perfection, in other words, to be able to live a sin free life. This is impossible for any man. The only way we could ever be one with God again is to have someone pay the debt of our sin for us. The only one that could do that is one who is perfect and one whom death had no rule. There is only One that fits that description and that is God. Therefore, he transcended Himself to live as man, to live the perfect life for us, knowing full well that he had to take on the sin of all of us if we ever were to be able to be in God's presence again. This gesture isn't something that I have concerns over. This gesture is the grandest expression of love that I have ever known.

    It is also written that Jews demand signs and Greeks (aka Gentiles...see parenthetical later) look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles (anyone that had not believed in God before Christ), but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

    On these things of faith, one cannot convince anyone. I know what I believe, because I have faith in God. I also know my science. No where does my faith take away from the understanding of science that is out there, and more importantly, nothing that science has revealed has contradicted what I believe. In fact, it has emboldened it and strengthened my faith.

    You may mock, you may jeer, you may say it is all foolishness. Many have before you, many do in this age, and many more will after I'm in my eternal resting place. My final thought on this is not to convince you, but to pray that maybe you all too may understand the joy that I know in my heart because of my faith.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  6. #125
    The 'Ruger' emblem sure looks a lot better. Evidently it's the only improvement.

  7. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Just another statement of ignorance. You just don't have a clue on how Bible Translation is done. It's easy to set back & snipe. But, it's a different thing to speak truths & facts. (That's something you don't know anything about evidently.)


    It's strange you speak of rational thought and scientific evidence. But, you won't even acknowledge that real science is about the discovery of truth and that TRUTH exists. You are so afraid of the TRUTH you refuse to participate a an intellectual discussion. The only discussion you will participate in is one that show how emotionally unstable and ignorant you really are.

    IMHO;
    You are just another scared rabbit who is afraid to look at the real TRUTH. If it were not so, you'd be willing to engage in a conversation at a more intellectual level. But, you won't even agree to do anything but make dumb snide comments. The funny thing is you are clueless to the fact your comments don't hurt the Christian view. They only show the complete ignorance & futility of your argument.

    I'll ask again-
    Why are you even visiting this thread?
    Why are you angry at someone you don't even believe in?
    Why do you feel it necessary to participate in such a thread when apparently God doesn't matter to you?

    You certainly are expending a LOT of energy on a subject you think is stupid.


    -
    Ever notice how people defend the buy bull with personal insults. No, I really suspect that has eluded you completely.

    As for the effort, that is because of the danger to society and mankind's future is those that will hate and kill because their imaginary friends wants them to. It is insane. Civilization will likely end one of two ways, a catastrophic event (huge meteor strike) that will make the earth uninhabitable, or the ignorance of one man start the last war because he thinks his god wants him to.

    We actually stand a better chance of stopping or deflecting a huge meteor, but the ignorance of religion probably not.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  8. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    I can't speak for XD40scinNC, but I'm confident that most of us would answer something like this:

    - Why visiting? To provide a rational counterpoint to absurdities that cannot go unchallenged.
    - Why angry? How can one be "angry" at mythical beings? Angry at the constant, incessant, unending (etc) pushing of religion by way too may religious types in inappropriate places, preferential treatment for religion in our legal system, religion-based opposition to (true) science, effective education, women's rights, etc, etc--yes! Counter-question: where do religious zealots get their scripts in which atheists are invariably and pejoratively characterized as "angry?" Of course, similar angst when the religious are called out for their outrageous statements, attempted influence, sophistry, etc, is defended as "religious speech borne out of unwavering faith" (or some other obnoxious, transparent euphemism)?
    - Why necessary to participate? See "why visiting?"
    - Why not have a "discussion?" Because we've learned that most over-the-top, religious types (which, fortunately, many religious are not) are very, very good at sophistry. They use definitional wordplay and logical fallacies to deflect and redirect any attempt at rational, meaningful discussion about science (or the absurdity of religious assertions, etc). They invariably make quantum leaps of logic to the conclusion that just about any significant assertion based on science or other rational thought is "proof" of divine creation, biblical accuracy, and other nonsense.
    Yep
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  9. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post
    The 'Ruger' emblem sure looks a lot better. Evidently it's the only improvement.
    Coming from someone/something that believes..."NOTHING PLUS NOTHING PLUS TIME EQUALS=SOMETHING; a correction was in order.


    ~ Everyone In HELL Is A Believer...It's Just Too Late ~
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

  10. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post

    This is what the scripture really says-
    What it really says? Nope, that is your footnoting of what it says to explain away the silliness.

    Give it up - the bible is clear - your God impregnated one of it's creatures so it could send it's son to suffer and die for the mess it created.

    Even you couldn't avoid, although you tried to ignore, the plain WORD:

    John 3:16-17 (KJV)
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Plain simple language - god sent his son, god did not come himself.

    What loving parent send their child to suffer for what they have created?

    Of even greater concern is why would a god create a world that it must have known (if it is all knowing) would turn out the way it did turn out. The concept of free will conflicts with the concept of ​omniscience.

    either this god knew Hitler would do exactly what he did at the moment this god snapped its fingers and crated the universe, or it did not know. If it did know, then it, rather than its creatures, has determined everything that happens. If it didn't know, then it has a flaw that some other higher god would not have, so it is just a lesser god.

  11. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    I wish I had done a screen capture of a photo from the Philippines after the storm: the scene was one of total destruction and forlorn and anguished-looking people against a backdrop of demolished buildings, downed wires, and many covered bodies in the streets. On a sidewalk, someone had written with chalk in big, bold, confident letters, "God is with us."

    Ooooooooo-kay
    Of course the loons will be telling us pretty soon that god sent the typhoon as a punishment for something they see as sin, or for merely not praying enough.

    After all that is why Katrina hit New Orleans, as punishment for the sin there, or the earthquake in Haiti
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast